can['t wear the chain out

Old July 23rd 19, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default can['t wear the chain out

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 4:06:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok I have at least 6800 miles on my 11 speed Shimano Ultegra chain. I keep it pretty good take it off after maybe 1000-1500 miles and soak in OMS and such. I don't ride in the rain at least on purpose. The cornfields of Illinois are flat so no real climbs. I measured my chain with machinist rule shows less than 1/16 or close in 1 foot.

I just think keep riding it the bike shifts flawless. But then maybe another voice says, no just put a new chain on they don't last that long something must be amuck. No skipping and I am not a slow rider I general run 50 mile routes at 17-19.5 mph, I no kid at 58, but can chains last that long? Finally I notice I am running Conti GP4000's II and they have 6000 miles on them and not worn out yet.

So would you all put a new chain on I don't see any wear on cassette? I normally get 5K on chains but wow this has me thinking.

BTW the 57 miles this morning even early were brutally hot here. I have drank at least 5 liters of liquid in some form or another and not even had a beer yet....that is coming soon.

Deacon Mark

Ride where I live.

Your chain will be toast after about 3k miles.

You must be a fisherman too with those tall tales.

Andy
Old July 23rd 19, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Update Chain Change can['t wear the chain out

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 1:16:31 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 12:03:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Ok did not measure wrong I repair guitars for a living even very expensive ones exacting work. I can measure and get to the thousandths if need. I put the new chain on an it was stretched but not all that much I think I could have gone farther. The catch is my calculations were incorrect it was not divine intervention I have between 5400 and 5800 miles on the chain not kilometers. That would make sense I seem to get at least 5000 then change sometime after regardless.

Ok so the new Shimano ultegra does not skip at all spins fine. Now more questions about the quick link. I normally do not like the usual quick links that come with the chain so I get a Wipperman Connex 11 speed connector. I find these great easy to use. But I have use this one for the above mileage or would you all change it out too? The chain comes with a Shimano Quick link that seems more complicated to work than the Wipperman. Are they just as easy to undue and reconnect. The wipperman you can do by hand then drop your chain in OMS to clean. The Shimano they seem to say it is a one time deal do not re-use.

I take and thoughts or advice to the above. While I am at it did check and verify my Conti GP4000 II's are at over 6000 miles. With them this morning with no wind in any direction I was able to get 50 miles in 2:33 1t 19..6 mph. I tell you right now all the riding I have done lately is destroying my running. My running legs are gone I hope I can get them back but striding out is weird.

Deacon Mark

Indeed you can get a whole lot of miles on a chain if you are not stressing it. Most of the riders here do not ride hard enough to wear out chains very rapidly. I was making perhaps 1,850 miles on a chain until I've changed over to "gold" chains which have a titanium oxide finish on them and wear a LONG time. How long I don't have enough miles yet to know. But I don't have more than a 1,000 miles on one of them yet. But they show no wear whatsoever at this point.

Define 'do not ride hard enough'.

Lou
Old July 23rd 19, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 23/7/19 2:31 pm, incredulous wrote:
Chain wear: OP didn’t say what care he took to maintain the
chain. I’d like to think that staying out of grit and (somewhat time
consuming) maintenance and lubrication could double of triple chain
life compared to just lubrication.

But, fair to note that if market competition can drive chain price
down to say $25, that you’d rather ride than clean chain, dispose of
greasy solvents, and wash your hands afterward for $6/hour.

I use Campagnolo Centaur chains, at about $35AUD.

I certainly do rather ride, but chain cleaning and lubrication is a
single operation for me with no greasy solvents and relatively clean hands.

YMMV.

--
JS
Old July 23rd 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 12:16:59 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:
[...]

What tall tales? No I hate fishing boring stuff. Where to do you live that chains only last 3k. Do you stand to pedal a lot?

Deacon Mark
Old July 23rd 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 6:16:59 AM UTC+1, AK wrote:

Your chain will be toast after about 3k miles.

Depends on what sort of chain it is, how you protect it, how and how often you service it, or in the absence of service protect it, how it is fitted up, to what it is fitted up, the condition of the other components, the materials of all components, the numbers of teeth on the gears, how straight it runs in three dimensions, how you ride, where you ride, etc, probably many more factors you can adduce for yourself.

Before I worked myself up to 4506km (near enough your 3K miles) on a single chain, by doing dozens of things right, I used to be lucky to get 1600km/1000 miles on a complete transmission chain. And I know commuters and tourers in convincing numbers who consider 8000km/5000m on a chain a normal occurrence.

Andre Jute
Absolutism, phui!

Old July 23rd 19, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 12:06:28 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I know one thing I tried to put the Shimano quick link in and that is a totally worthless item. Better to simply have a pin and insert it with chain tool. Wippermann blows them away and so I ordered another 11 spd wipperman they a great and easy to use.

Deacon Mark
Old July 23rd 19, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 11:49:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

$30 for f****** link? https://www.competitivecyclist.com/w...-11-speed-link Yikes. That's more than my KMC 11sp chain. I've never found any quick link -- Shimano, KMC, SRAM -- worthless. And in fact, they all work. The real problem is that they don't work repeatedly according to the instructions, but since I wash my chain on the bike and don't wax it, it's no big deal. Plus, in the rare case that I remove and clean a chain, I do reuse the link. No problems so far. I own the Park pliers which make removal quick and easy.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 24th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 8:53:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Ignore the people who have nothing better to do that criticize others. As I said, unless you're doing a lot of heavy climbing or in an area in which you have a lot of hard dust (silicon based?) and you're not a power rider, you may get rather spectacular wear on a chain.
Old July 24th 19, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 1:56:32 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yet you can get a card of 10 KMC links cheap. You have to only connect them once(says here in fine print that I don't read) but the actual Connex twisted link is really difficult to get together especially on a just lubed chain.
Old July 24th 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 10:53:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I live close to Seabrook, Texas.

Hot, humid, lots of wind, road dust, etc.

Andy

Chain Wear Jim UK 10 September 19th 07 10:25 PM
Chain Wear Noel UK 12 October 14th 06 07:01 PM
Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear? Friday Techniques 8 May 4th 06 01:19 AM
Chain Wear cirrus Australia 6 January 25th 06 08:06 AM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM