Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

Old August 9th 19, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

On 9/8/19 9:15 am, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 6:28:08 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

https://science.wonderhowto.com/how-...ystals-408998/

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1 April,
1971

The best way of getting nitro is to melt sticks of dynamite in an
iron skillet over an electric stove or even an open fire if you're
careful. Dynamite is a safe way to transport explosive power over bad
roads, for which nitro is far too sensitive, even in bubble-wrapped
Mason jars with triple rubber rings between the jar and its top. If
you're mining a river with nitro, for instance to kill all the
crocodiles in it, don't use wood or metal boats; if a crock or even
an eel bumps the nitro in the water, a metal or wood boat will carve
up your legs, but an Avon rubber liferaft will be sent up into the
air and all that'll happen to you is that you'll be soaked.

Andre Jute There's a solution for every problem

Well, that's handy to know. A good shower and bath on a hot day would
be far more pleasing.

--
JS
Old August 9th 19, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/8/2019 6:38 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 11:23:02 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/8/2019 4:54 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 06:43:41 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 08:45:13 +0700, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Actually I have few complaints of much more stringent gun laws that any
that you have stipulated so far. I am merely trying to point out to a
very opinionated and generally ignorant of the subject individual that
over simplistic laws are not very effective.

GovCo says that the Australian Laws have prevent any further mass
shootings since the Port Arthur event. The result has been to require
people wishing to use firearms to have a valid reason undertake some firm
are education courses.

Now, we tend to have mtor vehciles as the weapon for mass events.

But from your posts, I wonder if there are _any_ gun laws you would not
consider "ludicrase" [sic].

I asked about the gun laws where you now live. You seemed give data
indicating they work. Is it hell on earth living under those laws?
Should we adopt them in the U.S.? Or are there others that you would
propose?

Well, to apply Thai Gun laws to the U.S. would require the removal of
the 2nd amendment to the Constitution, probably a largely impossible
action.

Not So. The emphais would just need to shift towards "well regulated" and
requirements for identity checks and and basic firearm safety performance
could be enforced.

But doesn't the U.S. have a well regulated militia. I had assumed that
was what the National Guard was/is. I think that they even send them
overseas these days.

And if someone wants to play soldier, they should join the National
Guard, an _actual_ well regulated militia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...National_Guard

According to that site, they have about 450,000 members. But in the U.S.
there are close to 400 million privately owned guns.

I have no problem with guns used for hunting, but it's a sure bet that
those are the minority of that 400 million. That means hundreds of
firepower fetishers for every actual militia member.

Try reading the 2nd amendment in a calm and impartial manner. It
doesn't state that a gun owner must be a member of a militia in order
to own a firearm.

That's rather simplistic, since it was well over 200 years before a
conservative majority supreme court narrowly came to the Heller decision.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 9th 19, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/8/2019 6:53 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 11:48:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/8/2019 2:17 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 22:22:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 8/7/2019 9:57 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 14:57:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

The prohibition against hand grenades and other bombs works pretty well.
So do the restrictions on machine guns. Very few own mortars or flame
throwers. We should be able to apply reasonable restrictions to guns.
Let the pretend soldier boys play with virtual military arms in computer
games. That should be enough to satisfy their fantasies. It works in
most countries.

Perhaps in the U.S. where apparently the citizens are too complacent
to make their own bombs but here, in a less well developed country, we
just has a rash of some 6 bombs that exploded (and 1 "dud") in Bangkok
in the past few days. All "home made" bombs. In the South home made
bombs are so common that they have recently banned metal LPG tanks (a
common container used in home bomb making).

As you know, I'm interested in data. How many bomb deaths per year?

It is hard to say as I can't find any statistics.

That _should_ make you realize that the problem is relatively tiny! IOW,
bomb control works pretty well.

But I did find a
Times report dated August 2016 that stated that the bombings had
"ground on for more than a decade and killed more than 5,000 people".
https://time.com/4449653/thailand-bombing-what-to-know/

So maybe 500 per year? Less than one bomb fatality per 100,000
population during an insurgency, i.e. a low-level attempt at war.

The U.S. more than triples that rate using guns, with no need for any
insurgency.

Well sort of. You are ignoring the fact that the greatest number of
bombs are exploded in the southern most provinces of Pattani, Yala and
Narathwat with a combined population of 2,006,330. Or about the same
as the U.S. state of Nebraska. Now if 500 a year had been killed by
bombs in Nebraska for the past 10 years do you think there might be an
outcry?

Yes, "if." However, that's not what we're actually dealing with.

Like it or not, your present country's gun laws correlate with much
lower gun deaths than the U.S., and bombs do not make up the difference,
as you tried to imply.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 9th 19, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Ah Frank, based on your post, what you are really saying is that for
more than 200 years the 2nd amendment was accepted at face value. And
than when someone tried to change it... and they got shot down.

As the U.S. Constitution has always contained articles that allow it
to be modified one can only suppose that the majority of the public is
perfectly happy with the Bill of Rights.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 9th 19, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 1:25:38 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
[...]

Don't try this at home, kids.

The big danger in African rivers isn't that a stray crocodile will eat you* unless they're accustomed to taking people (we got the contract to clear the crocs exactly because they'd eaten one of a powerful pol's mothers-in-law), it's bilharzia from contact with the water. According to the CDC, who call it schistosomiasis, the "impact [of] this disease is second only to malaria as the most devastating parasitic disease". Good page on it at https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/schist...sis/index.html
As far as I know, not a danger in Australia.

Andre Jute
Glad to be of service

*Hey, maybe those crocs are waiting for Joerg, saying to each other, "Those mountain lions are all hat and no cattle. We'll show them how to eat a cyclist."
Old August 9th 19, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Oh fer chrissake.
Read any contemporary materials of the Founders. The
militia are able bodied male citizens as a whole and yes
they damned well ought to be armed, practiced and organized.
In the case of the Colonies, officers were elected and
despite most of their time being spent scratching a living
from the earth, in an emergency they proved well up to
myriad challenges.

Old August 9th 19, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 8/8/2019 10:17 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
My point was a little finer -- why concentrate on those
deliberately
killed 20 at a time, when those killed in ones or twos are really a much
bigger problem?

You're complaining about elementary human nature. One murder is
regrettable and raises outrage. 20+ murders at once naturally incites
much more outrage. The situation is closely paralleled whenever
there's a traffic crash that kills many, a landslide that kills many,
etc.

I don't think that's all it is -- the press amplifies mass shootings in
particular to a remarkable degree. As an example, I recently read about
this incident in the risks digest (comp.risk):

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

33 people dead in a terrible arson in Japan, a country considerably less
murderous and more law abiding than the US. An attack on an artistic
enterprise, with the loss of a great deal of material as well. Yet
stories on it seem oddly hard to find compared to recent mass shootings.

Maybe it's just me.

If a semi truck rammed a school bus and killed 29 kids, you'd be ill
advised to show up saying "It's OK, kids get killed in cars all the
time." It would be far more productive to say "Let's look into
measures to reduce _all_ motoring deaths."

And yet school buses are among the safest vehicles there are, so *yes*,
making them even safer might well be a misappropriation of time, money,
and effort.

Frank is constantly reminding us to rely on data, for example on the
relative scarcity of car bike collisions from behind. That does not
mean I will attend a memorial service for the next unfortunate killed in
that way with a sign belittling "fear from the rear".

But it does appear that you're belittling almost 30 people killed in
just a few hours.

No more than you have belittled those run down on their bicycles from
behind.
Old August 9th 19, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 12:44:32 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

The Swiss Army receives LESS training than the US Army reserves. They no
longer receive any training after that. If you consider that a "well
regulated militia" you are the sort of person I have been pointing out.

Obviously the US training is wasteful. Look how many times Switzerland
has been invaded.
Old August 9th 19, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Please don't belittle those killed by bombs.
Old August 9th 19, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 05:12:55 +0700, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Another point that seems to be universally ignored by anti-gun
enthusiasts is the fact that the majority of "gun crimes" are not
commented with legally acquired forearms

Irrelevant. Out lawing guns means anyone who has a unlicensed gun is a
criminal, which often resut in plod giving them more attention and an
increasing rap sheet. It is a win win situation really.