Recovery and Diet

Old August 16th 19, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Recovery and Diet

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:52:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 2:51:53 PM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/15/2019 1:25 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 04:40:54 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 21:25:03 -0700, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 11:58:23 PM UTC-4, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 05:34:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A power meter is a vital accessory for the elderly bicycle enthusiast
as how else can he brag about his accomplishments - "I averaged 12
mph for two hours last Sunday".

Write down starting time in notebook. Write down finishing time in
notebook. Go to Google Maps, ask for directions along your chosen
route. Write down distance.

Apply third-grade math.

--
Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Asking for BICYCLING directions on Google Maps can often have you riding
WAY out of your way if you follow them.

Gogle mpas are so car orientated. There is always a (or more)better
bicycle route.

When I use Google Maps to
calculate the distance on a planned ride I right click on the map at
where I'm starting from and then add markers at various points alone the
route I plan to ride.

Otherwise I find that Google Maps will often
deviate from the shortest route to take a route that uses a rail-trail
or other off-road facility and those deviations can add many miles to a
route.

Over here, it frequently will have you travelling 1,000 miles on sealed
roads as opposed to 10miles on a gravel road.

Whatever did people do before Google Maps? I can remember driving
across the United States twice without any maps at all.
--
cheers,

John B.

+1
Look in the atlas, fill tank and go. I've been all over this
country never having used an electronic device. YMMV.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

All the 'tough' guys say they don't need electronic assistance and

all they need is a glance at a paper map once in a while. Sure that
is possible but electronic assistance makes it a hell more convenient.
First time in the US, mid 80's, I drove form NYC to LA only using a
Rand Mcnally atlas; one page per state. It was possible but it took me
quite a while to get out of NYC. Last time a got a Garmin with my
rental and driving was much more relaxing.

Lou

Well, I don't know whether I am a "tough guy" or not but I navigated
all over S.E. Asia using paper maps and a compass :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 16th 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:35:34 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 9:47:15 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:17:38 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

For your information, not that I need to provide, I've never smoked a
cigarette or tried smoking one in my entire life. You sir, are
completely delusional.

Cheers

Your delusions began when you started considering yourself some sort of
expert at anything. What have you done for a living since your replies
seem to indicate that it was something like ditch digging or hod
carrying.

Over here, ditch diggers, also called plumbers, generally gross more over
a lifetime than top surgeons.

Chalo is an East Indian name. Ask yourself what would happen to him if he so much as mentioned abortion in India. His parents would disclaim him.

Strange isn't it?
https://www.name-doctor.com/name-Cha...alo-46764.html

germanic / latin

NAME ROOT:
*GUNTHO / *GUNşIZ SALVUS / SAIWALA GUNDISALVUS

MEANING:
This name derives from the Medieval Latin and Germanic (Visigoth)
name "Gundisalvus", composed of two elements: the Germanic element
"guntho / *gunşiz\u201d (battle, fight, act of killing, blow, to
strike) plus the Latin word \u201csalvus\u201d (safe, well, unharmed,
untouched, saved, healthy, intact). The second element, however, could
also be attributed to the Germanic (Gothic) "saiwala", meaning "soul,
spirit". The popular meaning is "one who assists in battle". Saint
Gonzalo (or Gundisalvus) (~1040\u20131108), a medieval Galician
nobleman and clergyman, was the long-serving Bishop of Mondoñedo from
1071.

Do you suppose those E. Indians are speaking Latin?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 16th 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Tom Kunich writes:

[...]

Chalo:Gonzalo::Tom:Thomas
Old August 16th 19, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:35:34 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

You could make a motza of cash if you ship those bales of straw overhere.
there is a shortage of feed for idiots who want to hang onto live stock
way beyond when they should sell up.

Old August 16th 19, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 21:55:17 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Tom Kunich writes:

[...]

So Tom gets it wrong once again :-)
This old boy bats almost a thousand.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 16th 19, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/15/2019 8:30 PM, John B. wrote:
Well, I don't know whether I am a "tough guy" or not but I navigated
all over S.E. Asia using paper maps and a compass :-)

I'll put in a plug for a compass, too. Even when I have a GPS going,
unless I'm mindlessly following the instructions of the electronic lady
inside the thing, it's sometimes nice to know which direction I'm
pointing. Google Maps makes a guess, but it's plus or minus about 60
degrees.

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and the
ones on each bike have been even more useful.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 16th 19, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 11:22:27 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/15/2019 8:30 PM, John B. wrote:
Well, I don't know whether I am a "tough guy" or not but I navigated
all over S.E. Asia using paper maps and a compass :-)

I'll put in a plug for a compass, too. Even when I have a GPS going,
unless I'm mindlessly following the instructions of the electronic lady
inside the thing, it's sometimes nice to know which direction I'm
pointing. Google Maps makes a guess, but it's plus or minus about 60
degrees.

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and the
ones on each bike have been even more useful.

--
- Frank Krygowski

You're fortunate to have never run into an area where there was a bunch of magnetite or other similar mineral. VBEG

Cheers
Old August 16th 19, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:25:24 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Whatever did people do before Google Maps?

I measured my route with a knotted string.

That would be quicker than Google Maps if I could buy paper maps.

Once I'd gotten around to knotting the string.

Old August 16th 19, 08:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

Whatever did people do before Google Maps?

I measured my route with a knotted string.

That would be quicker than Google Maps if I could buy paper maps.

Once I'd gotten around to knotting the string.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I use dividers on my topographical maps. The only problem sometimes is that the maps don't show newer roads or disused roads are overgrown and not really visible from the road I'm on. That's where I want a very accurate bicycle computer. ABck in the 1980s I loved my Cateye computer (either the Cateye Solar or the Cateye Micro depending on which bike I was using) as they were so accurate measuring distance traveled. The Cateye Solar even had an alarm function that could be set for distance. Thus, I could set the alarm for the distance to the next road and the computer would beep when that distance was covered. It sure made it easier to find those overgrown roads. Usually it was just the entrance to the road that was overgrown and once past that and on the road it wasn't too bad if you had wide tires such as the 26" x 2.125" knobby tires I used and use on logging/mining roads in Northern Ontario Canada.

Cheers
Old August 16th 19, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 5:22:27 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/15/2019 8:30 PM, John B. wrote:
Well, I don't know whether I am a "tough guy" or not but I navigated
all over S.E. Asia using paper maps and a compass :-)

I'll put in a plug for a compass, too. Even when I have a GPS going,
unless I'm mindlessly following the instructions of the electronic lady
inside the thing, it's sometimes nice to know which direction I'm
pointing. Google Maps makes a guess, but it's plus or minus about 60
degrees.

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and the
ones on each bike have been even more useful.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank even the simpliest GPS can tell you in what direction one drives or rides. It is one datafield on my GPS based cycling computer.In the map screen there is always an arrow visible pointing to the north:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U81c9afmiqmHeBkr7

Lou

Diet Justin[_3_] UK 61 November 1st 12 08:08 PM
Doing the TdF on a vegan diet T. Miller Racing 2 July 2nd 11 02:46 AM
Diet Coker!!! unicyclepa Unicycling 0 September 3rd 06 05:51 AM
Biker's Diet ackfugue Techniques 34 July 14th 06 11:23 PM
Time to diet? Martin Bulmer UK 1 May 2nd 05 11:51 AM