Tire liners vs slime

Old February 2nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tire liners vs slime

I'm a newbe, whats most of you prefer. I heard the tuffy liners are sharp on
the ends, and if they move can slice a tire. Are the snakeskins any better.
Thnx

Old February 3rd 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:32:47 GMT, wrote:

I'm a newbe, whats most of you prefer. I heard the tuffy liners are sharp on
the ends, and if they move can slice a tire. Are the snakeskins any better.

I have experience with Slime. I use Mr. Tuffies a lot and love them.
They do slow the bike a little.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old February 3rd 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:32:47 GMT, wrote:

I'm a newbe, whats most of you prefer. I heard the tuffy liners are sharp on
the ends, and if they move can slice a tire. Are the snakeskins any better.
Thnx

It depends on what type of tire, and where you will be riding it.

I don't use any of it. Most of the time I do use a tire that is
considered flat resistant. Either with a kevlar belt or in
Continental's case "Duraskin".

Give us some more details.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old February 3rd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I mainly cycle tour city streets, and light trails on a fully loaded self
supported touring rig. I'm running conti TT's with tuffy liners, glass,
metal chips, nails in the roads are common. Can tuffys become displaced and
slice my tire? Decending down some hills at a high speed, and getting a
flat could be a serious problem.

. com...

Old February 3rd 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
. com...
I'm a newbe, whats most of you prefer. I heard the tuffy liners are sharp
on
the ends, and if they move can slice a tire. Are the snakeskins any
better.
Thnx

Slime is OK, but due to the solvent they use in Slime or other stuff like
Slime, you cannot patch the tube should it get a flat.
The solvent causes the patch adhesive to dissolve over a period of time and
the patch comes loose on you. Plus the solvent that oozes out at the hole,
won't let the patch stick prperly either. I am amazed as to how many flats
one can get even with Slime as the hole is too big for Slime to seal OK.
When i was a kid on a kid's bike, Slime was the only thing to use and it
worked OK up to a point, eventually you had to replace the tube and or tire,
as you couldn't keep enough air in the tube to ride around the neighborhood
even.

I prefer using a good tire with kevlar or some other puncture resistant
layer inside. The Tuffy liners are good if you don't have those kinds of
tires. Good tubes are OK, but carry several spares and a patch kit etc.

If you are in a heavy thorn are one of the solid tire/tube items may be the
only way to go. There is also a company that makes solid tubes too, WalMart
sometimes has them in MTB sizes too. But these tend to make the wheels
heavier and that irks a lot of people, plus you lose some of the phuematic
air cushion effect riding over bumps and such. But it is a tradeoff that is
worth it in some cases.
Here is one compnay http://www.airfreetires.com/
Here is a airless tube compnay http://www.nomorflats.com/

Old February 3rd 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Really good point Nate, I'll have to check the overlap on the liners
something I never considered. A friend of mine crossed paths with a fellow
touring around america - http://www.northamericacyclingexpedition.com/ He's
running two tuffys in the rear tire he told him in that rear knobby tire
with no flats, the the front one has no liner, and he's had six flats. I bet
that rear wheel weighs a ton! Thank you for the tips everyone, I'm learning
alot

"Nate Knutson" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I mainly cycle tour city streets, and light trails on a fully loaded

self
supported touring rig. I'm running conti TT's with tuffy liners, glass,
metal chips, nails in the roads are common. Can tuffys become displaced

and
slice my tire? Decending down some hills at a high speed, and getting a
flat could be a serious problem.

Tuffies very, very rarely cause flats. One theory, which I abide by
when installing them, is that they only or primarily cause flats when
their overlapping secion is oriented incorrectly relative to the
wheel's rotation. The idea is that they should be oriented so that when
you're looking at the bike from the left side, and the overlap is at
the 9 o'clock position, that the downwards-pointing end of the tire
liner will be on the outside, and that this will be gentler on the
tube. It makes sense and I've seen some tire liner flats caused by
having it oriented opposite, and none when it's oriented as described.
The other thing is that rim strips shouldn't be cut, because that can
also cause flats if the cut end contacts the tube.

Basically, if you ride Tuffies, you still need to carry a spare tube.
But you would need to even if there wasn't a question of them causing
flats.

Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls? [email protected] Techniques 47 August 2nd 05 07:59 AM
Easy Coker Airfoil tire change john_childs Unicycling 27 June 21st 05 01:52 AM
FS: Spinskins Duro Kelvar Tire Liners - $15 NIB - shipped Allen Thompson Marketplace 2 October 18th 04 04:09 AM
Tire creeping over rim - Techniques 24 October 4th 04 08:21 AM
HED H3 tire blow off nospam Techniques 35 May 24th 04 03:34 AM