Tire liners vs slime

Old February 4th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tire liners vs slime

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:32:47 GMT, wrote:

I'm a newbe, whats most of you prefer. I heard the tuffy liners are sharp on
the ends, and if they move can slice a tire. Are the snakeskins any better.

I have one bike with a stupidly difficult rim that makes removing a tire damn
near impossible - it has a pre-slimed tube. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with any
of that crap.

Ron
Old February 9th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm a newbe, whats most of you prefer. I heard the tuffy liners are sharp
on
the ends, and if they move can slice a tire. Are the snakeskins any
better.

slime. note on slime, apparently only useful for casual riding.
Off-roading and fast speeds not compatible, dunno why, just what i read
(manufacturer recommendation)

Old February 20th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Really good point Nate, I'll have to check the overlap on the liners
something I never considered. A friend of mine crossed paths with a fellow
touring around america -
http://www.northamericacyclingexpedition.com/ He's
running two tuffys in the rear tire he told him in that rear knobby tire
with no flats, the the front one has no liner, and he's had six flats. I bet
that rear wheel weighs a ton! Thank you for the tips everyone, I'm learning
alot

Hi drehus27...I am that rider...I had two tuffies in my rear tire since
Delaware on my current perimeter tour of the USA and Canada and have
not had one flat since. The only problem I had was hitting a hole which
had been dug out of the pavement to access a survey cap and my wheel
got dinked and had to replace it. But it wound up giving me a bunch of
spare spokes! I ride 700cx38's. I am a self-contained rider so I keep
tabs on the toatl weight factor for my rig...total 70-75lbs with
trailer included! It's capacity is 200lbs but I don't want to Beverly
Hillbilly it on this ride! Heading to San Diego from Ft. Meyers, FL.
Who was your friend? Maybe I will remember him. My email is on the
site.
Remember...Not wearing a helmet is NOT COOL...even on a motorcycle.

Old February 20th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

liners brand the tubes at overlap-rotate and inspect
slime tubes are terrific but only work when used with liners-captures
the slime
use 2 liners!!!
slime tubes are repaired using superglue or NAPA cement-hang tube with
hole up for 3-4 days then repair gently
kevlar belts are de riguer-non kevlar belted tires are antiquo
the liner will keep a tube in when the kevlar belt seperates and holes
out from serious cuts
i did all this and ran over a grassly median avoiding dirt from
excavation-
and ripped the sidewall with a buried broken bottle....

Old February 22nd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I am a wrench, I have seen tuffie strips cause about 10-15 flats in the
years I've been changing flats. Every time I have changed a tire with
a tuffie strip in it, the tuffie strip has been the cause of the flat,
and normaly it's at the edge not at the end of the tuffie strip. Slime
also causes flats, or rather it causes valve problems. The slime is
suppost to work like your red blood cells do when you get a cut, small
fibers in the slime will build up around the leak, causing it to stop
leaking. The problem is those fibers get caught in your valve
(schreader only) and prevent it from being able to seal. As for
tuffies I don't belive that it would be a problem if any of those
people had inflated a their tires more then once in there lives. A
tire, tube, and rim are a very dynamic interface, in other words they
move around, if you've ever seen a wheel with the valve pointing to a
spoke on either side of it, that's why. As your tire losses air (all
tires lose air that is natrual) your tire creaps around and often pulls
the tube with it, that alone causes flats, insert a third object in
there and now you have a serious chafing issue. All the flats I've
seen from tuffie strips are not cuts so much as a chafe, ever rubbed a
whole in a piece of paper with an eraser (I have real serious grammer
and spelling issues, lmfao)? Well the same thing happens at the bottom
of your wheel when you ride. The side wall of your tire compresses
when it is under load. Use whatever you want to but I personally
charge over twice the normal rate when I have to deal with a slime
tube, and I flat out refuse to install tuffie strips. If you are
worried about getting flats use thorn-proof tubes, they are 18 times
thicker then normal tubes. Thorn-proof tubes are 4.5mm thick in the
center under the tread, and normal tubes are .25mm thick, that's a HUGE
diffrence. And you don't have to worry about getting slime in your
eye, or on your shoes. One of my friends dropped off his bike for some
brake work about 6 months after I talked him in to spending the extra
$6 for thorn-proof tubes, and in front of him I picked out 3 pieces of
glass and a wire from his rear tire, no flat. Other things you might
want to think about, riding in the gutter is just asking for a flat.
The draft from cars sweeps all the debris in the road to the side as
they pass, that means if you ride on a busy road in the "bike lane" or
in the gutter you are riding thru all the glass. If you notice you
just ran over a patch of broken glass, put your shoe on your tire as
you ride for a moment to brush it off, most pieces of glass do not
cause a flat as soon as you run them over, they stick and then every
time they hit the pavment they go in a little further. If you can find
a route that has less traffic, and ride down the middle of the lane you
will get less flats then someone who rides two blocks over in the "bike
lane".
p.s. I hate "bike lanes" what a joke.
-Tim

Old February 22nd 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 21 Feb 2006 17:24:07 -0800, "
wrote:

I am a wrench, I have seen tuffie strips cause
about 10-15 flats in the
years I've been changing flats. Every time
I have changed a tire with
a tuffie strip in it, the tuffie strip has been the cause of the flat,
and normaly it's at the edge not at the end of the tuffie strip.

I'm not a wrench. Guess I have been lucky as I've used Mr. Tuffies
for over 10 years with no problems at all....

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls? [email protected] Techniques 47 August 2nd 05 07:59 AM
Easy Coker Airfoil tire change john_childs Unicycling 27 June 21st 05 01:52 AM
FS: Spinskins Duro Kelvar Tire Liners - $15 NIB - shipped Allen Thompson Marketplace 2 October 18th 04 04:09 AM
Tire creeping over rim - Techniques 24 October 4th 04 08:21 AM
HED H3 tire blow off nospam Techniques 35 May 24th 04 03:34 AM