IT GOES TO ELEVEN !

Old June 5th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default IT GOES TO ELEVEN !

WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/06-04

(Seriously, though, it can't be true, right? Nothing they put into
production hasn't first been tested thru the pro ranks for a while,
no? Didn't the first ten speeds appear in the pro peloton a few months
before they were introduced for consumers, or am I misremembering
that?)
Old June 5th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Default IT GOES TO ELEVEN ! - Spinal Tap "These got to 11"

wrote in message
WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/06-04

(Seriously, though, it can't be true, right? Nothing they put into
production hasn't first been tested thru the pro ranks for a while,
no? Didn't the first ten speeds appear in the pro peloton a few months
before they were introduced for consumers, or am I misremembering
that?)

Spinal Tap "These got to 11"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVWJgIzftE

Inferior manmeat image.... 8-)

Chas.

Old June 5th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Jun 5, 1:40*pm, Werehatrack wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:40:42 -0700 (PDT), may
have said:

WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/06-04

(Seriously, though, it can't be true, right? Nothing they put into
production hasn't first been tested thru the pro ranks for a while,
no? Didn't the first ten speeds appear in the pro peloton a few months
before they were introduced for consumers, or am I misremembering
that?)

Beyond a certain point, it's all pretty much of a "why bother" issue,
at least to me. *I seldom use all of the gear combinations I have now;
more of them won't make me faster, or more stylish, or younger, or
better looking, or richer (quite the opposite), or wittier, or more
famous. *

So Campy announced an 11s cassette setup. *There comes a point at
which the absurdity factor has to kick in; while I have no doubt that
there will be riders who will embrace the new toy with what Campy's
marketing people feel is the appropriate degree of reverence, I have
little doubt that there will be more than a few riders who will look
at it and say "I have enough now, I don't need to spend the money for
this."

Some products are introduced into a demand vacuum. *I can't say that
such is the case here, but the air's certainly getting mighty rarefied
at these altitudes.

I agree that there comes a point where you say "why bother and what's
the point." I wonder how the spokes are going to hold up or are they
going to increase the spacing between the dropouts again? What about
the chain-line? How many of these 11 gears in the rear can you
actually use without cross-chaining?

It seems to me that you really do not get either higher or lower
gearing with more cogs just smaller jumps between cogs.

Are we eventually going to see corncob clusters of from 11 teeth to 26
teeth in one-tooth increments? I mean with 11 cogs and a high of 11
teeth you can have a corncob cluster to 21 teeth.

I can remember reading articles in Bicycling magazine (from the 70's
iirc) that stated emphatically that 15 gears were not needed.

Peter

Old June 5th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:40:21 -0600, Werehatrack
wrote:

Beyond a certain point, it's all pretty much of a "why bother" issue,
at least to me.

Yeah. But for me we haven't reached that poing with ten cogs. Ten
suits me for 98% of the riding I do each year. Eleven would take it
to almost 100%. Twelve would be a little nicer even. Thirteen would
have zero value.
Old June 5th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:03:42 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

11 teeth to 26
teeth in one-tooth increments?

For me, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28 would be
desirable. Closer than that would have no value.

Old June 5th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Werehatrack wrote:

Beyond a certain point, it's all pretty much of a "why bother" issue,
at least to me. *

That was back around the 8-speed era.

I have
little doubt that there will be more than a few riders who will look
at it and say "I have enough now, I don't need to spend the money for
this."

Until their current stuff breaks and can't be replaced. That's the
problem.

Art Harris
Old June 6th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Werehatrack wrote:
[...]

I would have written something like that ('Eleven? feh') but, as I read
yours, I realized that Campagnolo has now 'bracketed' bicycle gear systems:

* Xenon Nine speed, to fill in the back of the catalog, "You can't
possibly want the cheap stuff! Everyone but everyone has at least Ten!"

* New Record Eleven, well, just because, "It's the top of the range"

* Everything else, for everyone else, "I need a lot of gear choices, but
not quite the professional Eleven gear"

As the legendary "Good-Better-Best", the whole idea is to sell a lot of
the midrange product. Eleven addresses that, making Ten a 'not excessive
by comparison' choice.

It's nearly trite to summarize as, "The crap we sold you last year is
passé; Here's the new one".
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 6th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I've noticed talking to bicyclists that most believe the more gears
one has the easier bicycling becomes, both in the flatland and
mountains. These are also the folks who believe bicycle saddles are
too hard, handlebars too low and narrow and many other earmarks of a
non bicyclist.

We are not Cummins 6-cylinder truck diesels that runs best at one RPM,
just as starting from a stop sign requires running through the gears
as a loaded ready-mix truck may. Unfortunately these folks are in the
majority and spend the most on a bicycle that, like a jacked up black
SUV with multiple rumbling exhaust pipes lends credibility to their
existence.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/index.jsp...&newsInfo=true

The rate at which one can climb long grades depends more on lungs and
heart than hardware and carbon fiber. Most of these folks have not
tried anything like the Stelvio pass in Italy or for that matter,
Sonora Pass in California.

http://tinyurl.com/agnvh

Jobst