IT GOES TO ELEVEN !

Old June 6th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

Default IT GOES TO ELEVEN !

In article ,
Derk wrote:

wrote:

WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

Old news: I brought it 17/05/08 to this newsgroup already:

"New Campa Record and Chorus 11 speed"

Derk

Yeah, but we didn't believe you .

I don't know what to say, except that when you mentioned it, I said it
sounded pretty stupid. James Huang is usually pretty reliable on this
sort of stuff, so I accept that there's a high chance this is really
going to happen.

It's still stupid. On the other hand, I am a nine-speed retrogrouch, and
can only suppose that the 8-speed retrogrouches are pointing at me and
saying "A BRIDGE TOO FAR!"

Jobst is famously a 6-speed (or was it 7?) retrogrouch, and somehow in
an era of drivetrains that go to 11, his position seems more sensible,
not less.

Eagerly awaiting the production quad-ring drivetrain,

--
Ryan Cousineau
http://www.wiredcola.com/
Old June 6th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:03:42 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

11 teeth to 26
teeth in one-tooth increments?

For me, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28 would be
desirable. Closer than that would have no value.

JT: don't throw out your old stuff. I'll be happy to recycle it for you.

Old June 6th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jun 5, 10:03 am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Jun 5, 1:40 pm, Werehatrack wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:40:42 -0700 (PDT), may
have said:

WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

snip

Beyond a certain point, it's all pretty much of a "why bother" issue,
at least to me. I seldom use all of the gear combinations I have now;
more of them won't make me faster, or more stylish, or younger, or
better looking, or richer (quite the opposite), or wittier, or more
famous.

snip

I agree that there comes a point where you say "why bother and what's
the point." I wonder how the spokes are going to hold up or are they
going to increase the spacing between the dropouts again? What about
the chain-line? How many of these 11 gears in the rear can you
actually use without cross-chaining?

snip

I can remember reading articles in Bicycling magazine (from the 70's
iirc) that stated emphatically that 15 gears were not needed.

I have 12, but really only ever use 8 of them, and mostly only about 5
or 6.

Old June 6th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

For me, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28 would be desirable.

Assuming you are running a 50-34, you are adding a 32.8" to a 36.7" at
the low end...

JG
Old June 6th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Yeah, but we didn't believe you .

I hoped I was wrong too. This is something we just don't need. I'd be very
happy with a Centaur gruppo with 100% aluminium parts and the old type
shifters that let you decide how many gears you want to shift up or down.

I don't know what to say, except that when you mentioned it, I said it
sounded pretty stupid. James Huang is usually pretty reliable on this
sort of stuff

Isn't that the guy who's always very excited about every new product?

It's still stupid. On the other hand, I am a nine-speed retrogrouch

I have 9 speed Dura-Ace on all my bikes and stock 9s parts for decades to
come.

Derk

Old June 6th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
I've noticed talking to bicyclists that most believe the more gears
one has the easier bicycling becomes, both in the flatland and
mountains. These are also the folks who believe bicycle saddles are
too hard, handlebars too low and narrow and many other earmarks of a
non bicyclist.

We are not Cummins 6-cylinder truck diesels that runs best at one RPM,
just as starting from a stop sign requires running through the gears
as a loaded ready-mix truck may. Unfortunately these folks are in the
majority and spend the most on a bicycle that, like a jacked up black
SUV with multiple rumbling exhaust pipes lends credibility to their
existence.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/index.jsp...&newsInfo=true

The rate at which one can climb long grades depends more on lungs and
heart than hardware and carbon fiber. Most of these folks have not
tried anything like the Stelvio pass in Italy or for that matter,
Sonora Pass in California.

http://tinyurl.com/agnvh

Jobst

Derailleurs were not permitted in the Tour de France until the late 1930s.

On a CR Fausto Coppi memorial ride in Woodside last summer there were 2
guys riding 1949 Bianchi Paris-Roubaix bikes with 50T chainrings and 4
speed freewheels. These bikes had the single lever version of Cambio Corsa
shifters.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bianchipr.html

The bikes were only 4 speeds but both riders were off the front for most
of the ride!

Chas.

Old June 6th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

11 teeth to 26
teeth in one-tooth increments?

For me, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28 would be
desirable. Closer than that would have no value.

JT: don't throw out your old stuff. I'll be happy to recycle it for you.

I still use my 9-speed stuff a lot.

But if you're interested in used 8-speed cassettes or used and new
9-speed cassettes (the 9 only in 12-23) I'll send you a list in a
month or two -- I'm moving and doing an inventory. The new stuff I
want to sell. The used will go for shipping only.

Old June 6th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Derk wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Yeah, but we didn't believe you .

I hoped I was wrong too. This is something we just don't need. I'd be very
happy with a Centaur gruppo with 100% aluminium parts and the old type
shifters that let you decide how many gears you want to shift up or down.

I don't know what to say, except that when you mentioned it, I said it
sounded pretty stupid. James Huang is usually pretty reliable on this
sort of stuff

Isn't that the guy who's always very excited about every new product?

I have previously mocked Cycling News here for rating products on a
scale of 4 to 5, and of course lots of the daily tech news is (as with
almost any daily-tech site out there, bike or not) lightly edited
new-product press releases (look for phrases like "is said to be..."
when he stops believing the marketing).

However, his peloton reports are a rich and nutritious broth of
un-badged prototypes, non-production features, and outright sponsor
cheating. It's the most comprehensive look at pro bikes and future bits
that I've found online, at least in English.

Old June 6th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 5, 1:40 am, wrote:
WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/06-04

And, as Dave Barry would say:

Shimano engineers, meeting in an emergency design conference, said
"Quick - what comes after 11?"

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 7th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jun 5, 8:25*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,

*Derk wrote:
wrote:

WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

Old news: I brought it 17/05/08 to this newsgroup already:

"New Campa Record and Chorus 11 speed"

Derk

Yeah, but we didn't believe you .

I don't know what to say, except that when you mentioned it, I said it
sounded pretty stupid. James Huang is usually pretty reliable on this
sort of stuff, so I accept that there's a high chance this is really
going to happen.

It's still stupid. On the other hand, I am a nine-speed retrogrouch, and
can only suppose that the 8-speed retrogrouches are pointing at me and
saying "A BRIDGE TOO FAR!"

Piker. If the stuff is less that 2 decades old, shifters click and the
cogs come off but the body stays on, you are not any self respecting
'retrogrouch'.