IT GOES TO ELEVEN !

Old June 12th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
smokey

Default IT GOES TO ELEVEN !

On Jun 4, 10:40*pm, wrote:
WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/06-04

(Seriously, though, it can't be true, right? Nothing they put into
production hasn't first been tested thru the pro ranks for a while,
no? Didn't the first ten speeds appear in the pro peloton a few months
before they were introduced for consumers, or am I misremembering
that?)

Seems to me that things are getting a little ridiculous. I'm still on
8-speed and find it more than adequate for my needs. I read somewhere
that Shimano had a 12 speed cassette on the drawing boards. Where will
it all end?

Smokey
Old June 12th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jun 12, 12:51*pm, smokey wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:40*pm, wrote:

WHY ISN'T THE ONLY THING BEING DISCUSSED ON THIS BOARD THE TOTALLY
UNCONFIRMED RUMORS OF IMPENDING CAMPY 11 SPEED???!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/06-04

(Seriously, though, it can't be true, right? Nothing they put into
production hasn't first been tested thru the pro ranks for a while,
no? Didn't the first ten speeds appear in the pro peloton a few months
before they were introduced for consumers, or am I misremembering
that?)

Seems to me that things are getting a little ridiculous. I'm still on
8-speed and find it more than adequate for my needs. I read somewhere
that Shimano had a 12 speed cassette on the drawing boards. Where will
it all end?

Smokey

They got a patent on a 14-speed system probably 5 or 6 years ago.
Doesn't mean it will ever get made in that form.
Old June 12th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
peter

On Jun 5, 11:03 am, Art Harris wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

Beyond a certain point, it's all pretty much of a "why bother" issue,
at least to me.

That was back around the 8-speed era.

I have
little doubt that there will be more than a few riders who will look
at it and say "I have enough now, I don't need to spend the money for
this."

Until their current stuff breaks and can't be replaced. That's the
problem.

Are you expecting that to happen soon? My current bikes are 5-cog
(tandem), 6-cog (touring), 7-cog (road), and 8-cog (folding) and I
haven't experienced any problem getting parts for any of them.