700C wheels and 27" cantilever brakes - any match possible?

Old June 11th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley[_2_]

Default 700C wheels and 27" cantilever brakes - any match possible?

Someone on Crazyguyonabike.com raised the question as to what, if any,
brakes work well when a bike designed for 27" (630mm) wheels has 700C
(622mm) brakes on it.

My own cantilevers (on a 700C bike) look like they'd adjust up far
enough to work, but don't seem like they'd have enough adjustability
to go the other way.

Are there cantilevers available that have longer slots than most?
Old June 11th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Brian Huntley" wrote in message

Someone on Crazyguyonabike.com raised the question as to what, if any,
brakes work well when a bike designed for 27" (630mm) wheels has 700C
(622mm) brakes on it.

My own cantilevers (on a 700C bike) look like they'd adjust up far
enough to work, but don't seem like they'd have enough adjustability
to go the other way.

Are there cantilevers available that have longer slots than most?

The placement of the axles for the brakes are set in the factory. They are
usually different for 700C or 27" wheels and you need to try the brakes on
each in order to see if they fit.

Old June 11th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Jun 11, 1:58 pm, Brian Huntley wrote:
Someone on Crazyguyonabike.com raised the question as to what, if any,
brakes work well when a bike designed for 27" (630mm) wheels has 700C
(622mm) brakes on it.

My own cantilevers (on a 700C bike) look like they'd adjust up far
enough to work, but don't seem like they'd have enough adjustability
to go the other way.

Are there cantilevers available that have longer slots than most?

I'm not quite sure here, are the wheels 700C or 27"?

I'm running 700C wheels on an old 27" bike. The stock calipers didn't
work. After trying a few different brakes I ended up using a cheap-o
BMX sidepull. It cost like $7 at LBS and is made of stamped metal, but
it works just fine. It's a front brake on a fixie commuter.

Old June 12th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley[_2_]

On Jun 11, 5:20 pm, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:
On Jun 11, 1:58 pm, Brian Huntley wrote:

Someone on Crazyguyonabike.com raised the question as to what, if any,
brakes work well when a bike designed for 27" (630mm) wheels has 700C
(622mm) brakes on it.

My own cantilevers (on a 700C bike) look like they'd adjust up far
enough to work, but don't seem like they'd have enough adjustability
to go the other way.

Are there cantilevers available that have longer slots than most?

I'm not quite sure here, are the wheels 700C or 27"?

I'm running 700C wheels on an old 27" bike. The stock calipers didn't
work. After trying a few different brakes I ended up using a cheap-o
BMX sidepull. It cost like $7 at LBS and is made of stamped metal, but
it works just fine. It's a front brake on a fixie commuter.

Yes, that the setup he's looking for, a 700C wheel on a 27" bike. But
to complicate matters, he's got 50mm fenders and 37mm tires and want
to avoid calipers. Plus a touring bike needs a good front brake due to
weight and the chance of being on a hilly route.

Thanks for the input all the same.
Old June 12th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Brian Huntley" wrote in message

Yes, that the setup he's looking for, a 700C wheel on a 27" bike. But
to complicate matters, he's got 50mm fenders and 37mm tires and want
to avoid calipers. Plus a touring bike needs a good front brake due to
weight and the chance of being on a hilly route.

I just went down and looked at a Raleigh Kodiak that I'm putting together to
sell and tried on a 700c wheel. It would easily adjust down to the wheel and
had a brake similar to this one:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20ATB%20Brakes

That's what I mean when I say that you have to test each case individually -
there's never been a REAL(tm) standard for cantilever boss placement and
every company plays it by ear and often every MODEL is a little different.

So you just have to test.

Old June 12th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
[...]

1. there's nothing wrong with calipers.

2. in the circumstances, he's going to have to use what works. either
that or acquire a different frame to fit his brakes.

Old June 12th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Brian Huntley wrote:
Someone on Crazyguyonabike.com raised the question as to what, if any,
brakes work well when a bike designed for 27" (630mm) wheels has 700C
(622mm) brakes on it.

My own cantilevers (on a 700C bike) look like they'd adjust up far
enough to work, but don't seem like they'd have enough adjustability
to go the other way.

Are there cantilevers available that have longer slots than most?

Brake bosses are brazed within a range of both height and width so,
depending on the actual bike and rim width, "maybe". This is not a
simple question.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 12th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
philcycles[_2_]

On Jun 11, 6:06 pm, A Muzi wrote:
Brake bosses are brazed within a range of both height and width so,
depending on the actual bike and rim width, "maybe". This is not a
simple question.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Not simple at all. Not only does it depend on the pivot placement but
some brakes have more adjustment than others. Some Shimano brakes have
almost a full cm while others-like Mafac-have none. You need 4mm down
to make this work.
Phil Brown

Old June 12th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Jun 12, 10:40*am, philcycles wrote:
On Jun 11, 6:06 pm, A Muzi wrote:

Brake bosses are brazed within a range of both height and width so,
depending on the actual bike and rim width, "maybe". This is not a
simple question.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Not simple at all. Not only does it depend on the pivot placement but
some brakes have more adjustment than others. Some Shimano brakes have
almost a full cm while others-like Mafac-have none. You need 4mm down
to make this work.
Phil Brown

Can you name any of those Shimano models, Phil? That's more or less
what I started out looking for.
Old June 14th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
philcycles[_2_]

On Jun 12, 1:14 pm, Brian Huntley wrote:

Can you name any of those Shimano models, Phil? That's more or less
what I started out looking for.

Sorry, not off hand. Just look in the old brake bin at you LBS.
Suntour/Dia Compe brakes tend to have a long slot as well.
Phil Brown