New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny....

Old June 13th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

Default New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny....

Got my new front tire and just put it on but it doesn't look right. I ordered a
26 X 1.50, same that was on it before, but the area around the stem doesn't seat
all the way.

Try as I did, it just wouldn't go down all the way. See pict.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/30480...e0bc6a503b3715

Any advise....I also got a 26 X 1 3/4 tire just in case the rim was for this
kind of tire.

twitch

Old June 13th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
Deflate tube and workthe bead till its seated

As Jim says - deflate the tube, push the filler in slightly, seat the tire
around the innertube and pull the filler back down and re-inflate.

Old June 13th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

Got my new front tire and just put it on but it doesn't look right.
I ordered a 26 X 1.50, same that was on it before, but the area
around the stem doesn't seat all the way.

Try as I did, it just wouldn't go down all the way. See pict.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/30480...e0bc6a503b3715

That's a common problem. What you've got is the base of the valve stem
caught under the tire bead. Deflate the tire and push the valve into
the tire until the base of the valve pops past the bead. Then reinflate
partially and check the tire seating line line all the way around the
tire. If the tire's in too low somewhere work it out with your thumb.
Old June 13th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Twitchell wrote:
Got my new front tire and just put it on but it doesn't look right. I ordered a
26 X 1.50, same that was on it before, but the area around the stem doesn't seat
all the way.
Try as I did, it just wouldn't go down all the way. See pict.
http://imgplace.com/image/view/30480...e0bc6a503b3715
Any advise....I also got a 26 X 1 3/4 tire just in case the rim was for this
kind of tire.

Push the valve up inside the tire; don't yank it into the rim. It's
easy to catch the valve base under the tire's edge which would prevent
the tire from seating properly.

Your mountain bike rims are decimal (26x1.5, 26x1.9 26x2.2 etc) 559mm.
26 x 1-3/4 fractional are a different series, 571mm.

Ensure the rim liner is appropriate and centered so it does not occlude
the tire seat surface in the rim. A mist of spray wax can help seat
recalcitrant tires (car shops use soapy water which also works).
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 13th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

Default New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny...----GOT IT...THANKS!

In article , Tom Kunich says...

wrote in message
Deflate tube and workthe bead till its seated

As Jim says - deflate the tube, push the filler in slightly, seat the tire
around the innertube and pull the filler back down and re-inflate.

It took a couple of tries but it finally seated....thanks much..

twitch

Old June 13th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 12, 9:53*pm, Twitchell wrote:

It took a couple of tries but it finally seated....thanks much.

That valve interference problem is why I start (sometimes, anyhow)
with the tube pumped up (with a pump, not my mouth) with just about
enough air to come to the size/shape it's going to be when inflated to
normal pressure inside the mounted tire. Get the valve area seated,
put the tire on as far as possible, working on both sides, and let the
air out if the last bit is difficult. If the last few inches of tire
are real tight, you might have to squeeze the beads together, making
the beads as "short" as possible while working around the tire,
pulling toward the area that isn't on yet, to get them over the edge
of the rim.

Or you can do one bead at a time, putting the tube in after one bead
is seated all the way around. I still start at the valve because it's
easier that way.

I've read advice to the contrary, that the valve area gets seated
last. Maybe the idea there is that the reenforced (thicker) area
around the base of the valve stem is supposed to help seat the tire?
Oh well, not the way that works for me. --D-y
Old June 13th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

Default New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny...----GOT

In article ,
says...

On Jun 12, 9:53=A0pm, Twitchell wrote:

[...]

I actually put the tire on with the tube partially inflated (very little but it
did have some air). Anyway, I noticed right from the start that the area around
the valve stem didn't seat right. I started putting on the tire starting from
the valve...maybe I shouldn't have.

I'm a 63 year old newbie at this with artificial hips....mistakes are expected.

twitch

Old June 13th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jun 13, 8:06 am, " wrote:
[...]

The idea is that the already mounted bead is free to move down into
the center of the rim, offering more slack than if the valve stem was
in the way.
Old June 13th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Twitchell wrote:
Got my new front tire and just put it on but it doesn't look right. I ordered a
26 X 1.50, same that was on it before, but the area around the stem doesn't seat
all the way.

Try as I did, it just wouldn't go down all the way. See pict.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/30480...e0bc6a503b3715

Any advise....I also got a 26 X 1 3/4 tire just in case the rim was for this
kind of tire.

You got the Loopy Lou's! I did that once and didn't notice, 'twas a
very odd sensation cycling on it.