New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny....

Old June 13th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny....

Frank Leake wrote:

Got my new front tire and just put it on but it doesn't look right.
I ordered a 26 X 1.50, same that was on it before, but the area
around the stem doesn't seat all the way.

Try as I did, it just wouldn't go down all the way. See picture.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/30480...e0bc6a503b3715

Any advise... I also got a 26 X 1 3/4 tire just in case the rim
was for this kind of tire.

You got the Loopy Lou's! I did that once and didn't notice, 'twas a
very odd sensation cycling on it.

Advice:

This is common with most inner tubes. The way to do avoid the problem
is to push the valve stem up into the tire after mounting it so that
it can descend with its attachment pad curved to fit between tire
casing walls instead of having the tire crimping the tube at either
side and sitting on top of the reinforcement. That crimp can cause a
puncture in a short distance.

Presta valves are slenderer with a thinner attachment pad making them
are easier to install.

Jobst Brandt
Old June 13th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny...----GOTIT...THANKS!

On Jun 13, 11:13*am, Dan O wrote:

The idea is that the already mounted bead is free to move down into
the center of the rim, offering more slack than if the valve stem was
in the way.

Then it's in the way when the tire is the tightest. True, there is a
thicker area in the tube around the valve, which might resist pinching
with tire levers a little better, but it's pretty small.

FWIW, Park Tools "help" site starts with the valve, too. So it goes in
straight, is their point. I like "straight" OK, but my main thing,
learned 30-odd years ago when I started using Presta valves on "narrow
high pressure clinchers", was the discovery ("field operations") that
the Presta valve wouldn't take much abuse, compared to the old
Schrader valves, IRT poking/pulling/moving around after they were
mounted and didn't go on quite right-- especially poking and pulling.
So, I made the valve happy by setting it in the tire with a little air
pressure (pump, not mouth even though you can with Presta!) the same
or very close to the way it would be when fully inflated-- including a
straight valve, of course. Which helps when the valve stem is just
about long enough to work with a deep(er)-section modern rim. Although
I do carry a couple of extenders along with the camp stove and three
days' rations in the seatbag. --D-y
Old June 13th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

Default New cyclist puts on new tire and it looks funny...----GOT

"Twitchell" wrote in message

I'm a 63 year old newbie at this with artificial hips....mistakes are
expected.

That doesn't mean you aren't going to catch heck from everyone for them.....

Old June 13th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

wrote:
Frank Leake wrote:

[...]

True, but it isn't hard to get the same effect away from the valve.
I've never had it at the valve, cos I'm anal with valve seating, then I
work around the tyre, inflate and fit. Then I think "This can't be
right!". Seen other people do it as well. The last time it happened
the tyre seated itself after about 5 miles.

Bit of an ad for rim lube or whatever it's called.
Old June 13th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank Leake wrote:

[...]

That is not a common problem except with tubes that are too large in
cross section. The effect you showed will not seat by itself because
the tube is under the tire bead and there is no force trying to
extract it. As I said, that is a pinch flat in the making and will
chafe through with use.

I've never had it at the valve, cos I'm anal with valve seating,
then I work around the tyre, inflate and fit. Then I think "This
can't be right!". Seen other people do it as well. The last time
it happened the tyre seated itself after about 5 miles.

The only way to "never have it at the valve" is to push the valve into
the mounted tire so that it is above the narrow section between the
tire beads and then let it descend to its proper position. It is all
rubber and can form into that space.

Bit of an ad for rim lube or whatever it's called.

Not at all. As I said, there is no force trying to pull the tube out
from under the tire bead so lubricant won't help. Develop a better
routine for tire mounting.

Jobst Brandt
Old June 14th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard

"A Muzi" wrote in message

A mist of spray wax can help seat recalcitrant tires (car shops use soapy
water which also works).
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I always enjoy reading discussions like this to check on my own practices.
I've never used any sort of tire fitting lubricant on bicycle tires myself,
mainly through fear of contaminating the rubber with something that might
perish it, or having a tire that will slip on the rim. Though I'm not sure
if bicycle tires can slip around the rim the way offroad motorcycle tyres
will. What exactly is this spray wax? What's the brand name and what else is
it used for?

Digressing a little, I've been putting off mounting a pair of Schwalbe
Marathon Plus's on my new 26" Velocity rimmed wheels because I've heard all
about how recalcitrant they can be. When I finally achieved the requisite
Zen-like state of calm and attempted it, it was a huge anticlimax. The
things practically fell on by themselves and for the first time ever, I did
not need a little help from a tire lever for the last six inches of bead. It
seemed to me that the Schwalbes are so fat and stiff that I was able to get
a good double handful of the tire and rotate it away from me to pop that
last bit of bead over the edge. Or maybe I was just lucky.

Peter H.

Old June 14th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

"A Muzi" wrote

Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

Pledge.
Especially on over/under sized or rusty steel rims
Old June 14th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

"A Muzi" wrote

Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

Alternately, use those little soaps you've stolen from roadside motels
to lube the rim. Good to keep a sliver in your flat kit if you have a
tight tire. Nice if you end up far from home with dirty hands as well.

Old June 15th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard

"landotter" wrote in message
"A Muzi" wrote

Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

Ah, thank you. We have Pledge in Australia, though only in our huge Home
Depot-like local hardware chain that imports all the US made household
products such as Simple Green. If it's good enough for you I'll certainly
try it.

Alternately, use those little soaps you've stolen from roadside motels
to lube the rim. Good to keep a sliver in your flat kit if you have a
tight tire. Nice if you end up far from home with dirty hands as well.

Got little soaps too. I have a million of them that live in my workshop for
lubricating handsaws and drill bits.

PH