Cyclists still stupidly not using lights at night

Old March 1st 12, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Mr Benn[_5_]

Default Cyclists still stupidly not using lights at night

MORE people in Gloucester should use lights when they cycle, according to
the city's MP.

Richard Graham, who cycles in London while at parliament and uses the same
form of transport often in Gloucester, said the problem is "everywhere".

"I see lots of young people, in particular, who cycle about without any
lights, which is a concern," he said.

"I see it in Gloucester and in London, but it's not just confined to these
areas, it's everywhere."

He has also urged bike manufacturers to consider attaching non-removable
lights to the finished product to help the situation.

"At the moment, a big problem is that bikes come without the lights fitted
on," he said.

"Once you've got it you've got to buy lights separately, and lots of people
don't. And sometimes, the lights get nicked because they come away easily.

"I don't necessarily want legislation from the Government over this but
surely we've got manufacturers capable of fixing on lights which are
generated by a cycling motion."

problem

People cycling without lights on around Gloucester has already been raised
as a serious problem, especially in Quedgeley where a pedestrian was struck
by one using the pavement in Bristol Road last November.

The parish council has also had calls over cyclists using the B4008 without
lights or reflectors.

Colin Keane, 61, of Church Drive, Quedgeley, said: "It's madness to cycle
with no lights on, but I see it often.

"They are putting themselves in danger, as well as pedestrians and drivers."

Graham Foot, who runs the Slam69 bicycle shop at the Gloucester Business
Park, said most youngsters do buy lights, but often it was only because they
had already been stopped by police.

"It is a problem, but trying to get manufacturers to fit lights to a bicycle
is very hard because of the sheer number they need to get out," he said.

Cycling without lights can lead to prosecution under the Highway Act 1835,
although they are very rare.

For cycling on the pavements, police officers have the powers to find people
£60 on the spot or prosecute.

Old March 1st 12, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Coroner says death of boxing champ Gary Mason while cycling was dueto accident or misadventure

QUOTE:
A coroner has recorded a verdict of accident or misadventure regarding
the death of Gary Mason, the former British heavyweight boxer killed
when he was struck by a van while riding his bike in January last
year. No charges have ever been brought against the driver involved,
and Mason’s family are now considering bringing a private action
against him.

The former boxer, aged 48, died from multiple injuries received in the
incident at the junction of Woodcote Road and Sandy Lane South in
Wallington in the London Borough of Sutton, reports the Daily Mail.

The driver of the vehicle involved, 44-year-old Piero Zanelli of
Purley, Surrey, failed a police eye test on the day of the incident,
although he was subsequently assessed as fit to drive by an optician.

In line with standard procedures, he was arrested at the scene on
suspicion of causing death by careless driving, but no charges
followed.

Croydon Coroner’s Court heard that it was common for motorists to cut
across hazard lines marked Woodcote Road as they turned right into
Sandy Lane South, and Zanelli, who used the road regularly, admitted
that he did so “eight times out of ten” but was unable to remember
whether that had happened on the day in question.

Collision investigators were unable to establish the speed of his
vehicle at the time of the incident with any certainty, putting it
between 25mph and 48mph.

It was also unclear whether Mason was on his bike or pushing it when
the incident happened at approximately 6am on the morning of 6
January, although the court was told he was wearing dark clothing and
his bike did not have a front light and only a dim rear one.

Describing the incident, Zanelli said: “I just looked ahead, saw there
wasn’t any traffic coming down and that was it, there was just a thump
on the windscreen.

“I drove on but then I turned round and came back. I stopped and I was
in a sort of shock, I couldn’t understand it and then I turned round
and looked again. I was sort of scared.

“It was so all in one go,” he continued. “I didn’t see anybody, there
wasn’t anything on my bonnet, I didn’t see anybody it was just a thump
and the windscreen shattered. It was all in the moment, all in one go,
it could have been anything.”

Coroner Roy Palmer recorded a verdict of death due to accident or
misadventure.

Following the hearing, Mason’s sister Paulette Stewart said that the
family planned to pursue its own legal action against Zanelli, adding:
“After 13 months we have finally heard the evidence gathered by the
police as part of their investigation and we have heard Mr Zanelli
give evidence in person.

“It is clear to the family that Mr Zanelli was driving at excessive
speed, cut the corner of the junction and failed an eye test on the
morning of the fatal collision.

“Gary was a wonderful man and father well loved by all and was taken
from us through the reckless driving of Mr Zanelli. We as a family
will never get over Gary’s death which in our view was clearly
avoidable.”

At the time of his death, Mason, who only lost one fight in 38
professional fights, a British and European title decider against
Lennox Lewis, was planning to launch a therapeutic drumming charity.

Speaking after the inquest, his friend Clive Thompson said: “He was an
incredible person, a very good guy, kind hearted. He cared for people
and he would have cared how he [Zanelli] felt in there today, he would
have felt for him deeply.

“Gary would forgive that guy for what he did when not many people
could. When he died he was out cycling to get fit because he had just
got a grant to start his charity.”

http://road.cc/content/news/53669-co...ue-accident-or

--
Simon Mason
Old March 1st 12, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Tosspot[_3_]

This bloke has equalled Doug in nymshifts in a fraction of the time. How
****ing sad is that?

Old March 1st 12, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Simon Mason[_4_]

http://road.cc/content/news/53669-co...xing-champ-gar...

--
Simon Mason