Lights Question: Blinking Best ?

Old February 26th 14, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob[_19_]

Default Lights Question: Blinking Best ?

Hello,

What do most folks do:

Rear Red Light set to Blink
Front White one on Steady

Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob

---

Old February 26th 14, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding[_2_]

On 2/26/2014 7:57 AM, Bob wrote:

What do most folks do:

Rear Red Light set to Blink
Front White one on Steady

Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob

In Europe (Germany I think), it's illegal to use blinking lights on your
bike. You must use non-blinking ones.

This is backed up by studies (Europeans do a lot more transportation by
bike than Americans) that revealed blinking lights (tail lights) are
more difficult to detect object motion, than with steady lights. You
want motorists to realize there's something moving ahead of them,
[hopefully] producing more caution in their approach.

Of course the batteries of lights in blinking modes last a lot longer,
but I'd recommend if you only use one tail light, run it in steady
rather than blinking modes. I use two tail lights: one steady and one
blinking, which also serves as a backup in case the primary tail light
goes out.

I think for headlights there is no question: you need a steady beam.

SMH

Old February 26th 14, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
NFN Smith[_2_]

Stephen Harding wrote:
In Europe (Germany I think), it's illegal to use blinking lights on your
bike. You must use non-blinking ones.

This is backed up by studies (Europeans do a lot more transportation by
bike than Americans) that revealed blinking lights (tail lights) are
more difficult to detect object motion, than with steady lights. You
want motorists to realize there's something moving ahead of them,
[hopefully] producing more caution in their approach.

I haven't seen studies, but from experience, I don't like blinking lights.

Yes, a blinking light is better at grabbing attention, but as a
motorist, I've noticed that when I'm approaching a bike with a blinking
tail light, the blinking makes it nearly impossible to tell how far away
the bike is, and how fast it's going. In my view, a blinking light is
appropriate only for a standing object.

Thus, on my own bike, I won't use a blinking light. As a cyclist (and I
do ride busy thoroughfares), I expect motorists to treat me as another
vehicle (with the same rights and responsibilities), and act accordingly.

I suppose something could be said for having both a blinking light and a
steady light, but to me, the blinking light draws attention away from
the steady light, and may negate the value of the steady light.

In the US, I believe that most states' vehicle codes require
non-blinking headlights.

Smith

Old February 27th 14, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 07:57:33 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hello,

What do most folks do:

Rear Red Light set to Blink
Front White one on Steady

Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob

Over here (Thailand) most riders I see using lights in the daytime
have a blinking red rear light and sometimes a blinking white front
light.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 1st 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Király

Bob wrote:
What do most folks do:

Rear Red Light set to Blink
Front White one on Steady

During the daytime I have my front white light set to blink. At night I
have it on steady. Rear red light always blinks. Here in Vancouver there
are many, many cyclists and it is extremely rare to see a red rear light
that is not blinking.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 2nd 14, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:57:33 AM UTC-8, Bob wrote:
Hello,

What do most folks do:

Rear Red Light set to Blink
Front White one on Steady

Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob

The idea is to draw the attention of an approaching driver. This means that the rear should be blinking. As Mr. Harding says, it is difficult to judge speed and distance of a blinking light but that's the idea. In the US cars and trucks will give you a much wider clearance than if they can accurately judge where you are and how fast you're traveling.

The same with a front light. LED lights cannot show you the road plain enough to be used to light your way but on blink they can scare the cars at intersections so that they give you right of way and more clearance.

Old May 17th 14, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jakob Krieger

- NFN Smith / Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:49:42 +0100

I haven't seen studies, but from experience, I don't like blinking lights.

Yes, a blinking light is better at grabbing attention ...

My consent.

Blinking lights attrackt attention to the blinking light,
not to the bike carrying them.

Rechargeable batteries combined with reasonably constructed
LED circuicy (with currency limiting - there are ones on
sale that 'regulate' by short-circuiting via z-diode)
give light for 10 or 15 hours.

The blinking lights had been introduced to get higher
light output by over-feeding lower output LEDs, which
is not technical standard any more. Today's bright LEDs
use very little power.

jk

--
no sig