Downsides of the fascist compulsion urge shared by too many cyclists

Old February 27th 16, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Downsides of the fascist compulsion urge shared by too many cyclists

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 3:56:33 PM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:

...a bigger problem is that Stevenage did nothing to actively
discourage car use. By contrast, Dutch cities tend to make car parking
rare and super-expensive, and they close direct routes to cars so car
trips take longer than bike trips, etc. etc.

It seems that as long as it's easier to get into a car and turn the key,
almost everyone will prefer to drive.

Let's forget for the moment that from close acquaintance we are unfortunately burdened with the sure knowledge that Frank Krygowski is a fascist asshole in each and every way imaginable, and on all observed occasions. For once read what Krygowski says carefully, don't just dismiss it as "Oh, more Kreepy Krygo Krap, same-old, same-old", because here Franki-boy is at last what he always wanted to be, a "spokesman for bicycles".

If you close your eyes and you try hard to ignore Krygowski's bullying breath on the back of your neck, you can hear those words coming from the mouths of so many cyclists, albeit more insidiously stated, it is almost a generic mantra.

It shouts, "Compulsion, compulsion, compulsion." It raises its voice insistently, "I know what is best for you, and if you don't do as I say, you will be forced to do as I say." It grates, "You will conform to my worldview, or suffer the consequences." All three of these are basic fascist attitudes.

It's one reason people who could cycle if they wished to don't want to, and instead drive their cars. Some of us believe that this offensive, self-assumed, unwarranted, fascist "superiority" of the "cycling cause", as it is perceived, does more damage to the future of cycling than anything else.

Yes, I know, most cyclists don't even notice because, in general, they're environmentalists and other classes of those "liberals" whose intolerance of dissent, reason, debate and liberty are a sickening byword among intelligent people, and a huge part of the cycling community isn't very bright, nor sensitive enough to observe how offensive their attitudes are to those with better manners and more tolerance. Instead they think motorists are out to get them. Paranoia comes with fascism, chaps.

It goes without saying that threats of compulsion won't achieve the cycling nirvana. Persuasion and education was never even tried, and it is now too late to try them while the memory cone of the nastiness of Frank Krygowski and his like persists. It'll be ten or fifteen years down the line -- if no single cyclist spouts this nastiness in public during that time -- before we get another chance. It takes that long to clear the air,

Today is a good day to start. Why am I not holding my breath?

***

Yes, I know, I'm speaking about a minority of abrasive cyclists. I appreciate the majority of cyclists who're nice people. But I have news for you: you influence the perception of cyling among non-cyclists much, much less than the nasty minority. That's just the way of the world.

Andre Jute

Old March 1st 16, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 10:10:25 PM UTC, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

First time I've ever achieved 100% agreement on RBT!

Andre Jute
Old March 2nd 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT...

https://www.google.com/#q=FASCIST+COMPULSIVE+URGE
Old March 3rd 16, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

And?