Make bike using eBay parts?

Old July 14th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Make bike using eBay parts?

I'm on a VERY tight budget but wanting a decent bike
bad

I was curious of the advisability of buying the Nashar
cross frame and then buying used parts off eBay to
build the bike up with?

Would I save much money or not you think over just
buying a pre-built bike?

Old July 14th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 13, 6:29*pm, wrote:
I'm on a VERY tight budget but wanting a decent bike
bad

I was curious of the advisability of buying the Nashar
cross frame and then buying used parts off eBay to
build the bike up with?

Would I save much money or not you think over just
buying a pre-built bike?

Parts add up. See if you can find a Craigslist bike that's got all you
need, just mounted on the wrong frame.
Old July 14th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 14 July, 00:29, wrote:
I'm on a VERY tight budget but wanting a decent bike
bad

I was curious of the advisability of buying the Nashar
cross frame and then buying used parts off eBay to
build the bike up with?

Would I save much money or not you think over just
buying a pre-built bike?

Used bike with a good frame that fits. Expect to replace tyres,
saddle, h'bar tape, brake blocks and chain. Tune up wheels. Make
fitting adjustments and ride it for a year before considering any
other changes.
Old July 14th 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Jul 13, 9:25*pm, landotter wrote:
On Jul 13, 6:29*pm, wrote:

I'm on a VERY tight budget but wanting a decent bike
bad

I was curious of the advisability of buying the Nashar
cross frame and then buying used parts off eBay to
build the bike up with?

Would I save much money or not you think over just
buying a pre-built bike?

Parts add up. See if you can find a Craigslist bike that's got all you
need, just mounted on the wrong frame.

Indeed. If you have the time and storage space, those
"It was my ex-husband's and I don't know what it is" ads
are great sources of parts and frames. And after they
overflow a few rooms you will discover the joy of being
an ex-husband yourself perhaps.

And sometimes the built-up bikes can be had for less
than half of the cost of the crank and wheels.
Old July 14th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:29:13 -0500, wrote:

I'm on a VERY tight budget but wanting a decent bike
bad

I was curious of the advisability of buying the Nashar
cross frame and then buying used parts off eBay to
build the bike up with?

Would I save much money or not you think over just
buying a pre-built bike?

It's hard to build up a bike cheap unless you make a hobby of shopping parts and
are prepared to take six months or more for the build or have a well stocked
parts pile. For some of us gathering parts is part of the hobby.

I built up my cross bike very cheaply for, but it took awhile and there were
some fortunate buys. I picked up a frame, fork, crank, BB and headset that was
cluttering a pro's garage so I got a bargain. Wheels I got lucky on. Even still,
If I'd just waited that long I would probably have found a used complete bike
for the same price.

The longer you're prepared to wait and the faster you can jump, the better the
deals are.

Don't limit yourself to ebay, also check roadbikereview.com bikeforums.com and
anybody else with a classified list, rec.bicycles.marketplace is a bit of a
ghost town these days, Craig's List runs cross bikes even in my part of the
country. Look around you'll find some happy piles of parts waiting to get built
up.
Old July 14th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

snip
It's hard to build up a bike cheap unless you make a hobby of shopping
parts and
are prepared to take six months or more for the build or have a well
stocked
parts pile. **For some of us gathering parts is part of the hobby. **

snip

Right on

I love putting bikes together and pulling old ones apart!

Cheers Dre

Old July 14th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 14, 12:29*am, wrote:
I'm on a VERY tight budget but wanting a decent bike
bad

I was curious of the advisability of buying the Nashar
cross frame and then buying used parts off eBay to
build the bike up with?

Would I save much money or not you think over just
buying a pre-built bike?

It'll cost more than buying a second hand bike locally, if only
because the carriage costs will multiply up. Those guys already
advising you to use Craigslist have it right.

There are two alternative that haven't been mentioned:

One is is buying a bike with a good frame -- all these frames are
essentially made in the same few factories in Taiwan and China -- with
cheap parts and then replacing the parts with the best as funds become
available.

The other is buyng the frame you want and buying a complete el cheap
gruppo from a single source and all the rest of your parts from the
same place or at most one supplier. Here, for instance (not
suggesting you shop in Europe but this is a dealer I've bought from so
he's in my bookmarks), is an Alivio group for 79 Euro or 94 with V-
brakes;
http://poisonbikes.de/Fahrradteile_u...uppen/Shimano/
I bet you can do better in the States. Same idea as above: on a good
frame you replace the parts piecemeal.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html