Fixed gear growing in popularity?!!?

Old March 22nd 05, 01:46 AM
maxo

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:47:20 -0800, CaptBike wrote:

Dry rot doesn't happen to any tires made since the 1960s when Nylon
replaced cotton canvas. 20 year old Japanese tires may be treasurable, if
they're not worn out or lumpy.

Explain then what you call the condition of the Panaracer slicks that came
on my recent find (see thread "my $8 Rockhopper").

The rubber is dry to the touch and showing fine cracking, the sidewall
threads are starting to unravel, and the sidewalls themselves are chalky
and papery.

The decals were hard to peel off on one side, so perhaps the bike spent
some time hanging on the back of an RV and it's sun damage.

The tires show no noticeable wear, btw.

Old March 22nd 05, 01:50 AM
maxo

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:47:20 -0800, CaptBike wrote:

chain: 10

May not be necessary.

Perhaps a long tooth track cog will keep it in check, but going fixie I
almost always add a KMC bmx or heavy duty chain. Most likely it's simply
unwarranted paranoia. I do like how a nice fat nickel plated KMC heavy
duty chain looks though. *bling* :P

Old March 22nd 05, 02:13 AM
Bob Anderson

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:59:32 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
wrote:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...gear.0320.html

Hey cool, and from my home town paper, too.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon
Old March 22nd 05, 02:22 AM
Chris Neary

When I moved to my current address 15+ years ago, none of the people I rode
with owned a fixed gear.

Now I would need both hands to keep track of people I ride with who own a
fixie (self included).

We've even organized the occasional fixie-only ride. Kinda cool to paceline
when everyone is on the same wavelength.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old March 22nd 05, 02:50 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:43:23 +0000, maxo wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:47:20 -0800, CaptBike wrote:

labour: 15 redish wheel and move axle

That sounds low, but maybe your shop works cheap.

That's what I always paid my wheel guy in Chicago--he could dish, true,
and move the axle in fifteen minutes tops. Seems like a fair price for
fifteen minutes work--even if you consider the other costs of staying open.

That seems impossible. 15 minutes?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Old March 22nd 05, 03:44 AM
maxo

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:50:34 -0500, David L. Johnson wrote:

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:43:23 +0000, maxo wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:47:20 -0800, CaptBike wrote:

labour: 15 redish wheel and move axle

That sounds low, but maybe your shop works cheap.

That's what I always paid my wheel guy in Chicago--he could dish, true,
and move the axle in fifteen minutes tops. Seems like a fair price for
fifteen minutes work--even if you consider the other costs of staying
open.

That seems impossible. 15 minutes?

And he was usually stoned out of his mind too. LOL Perhaps he reached
higher wheel consciousness from the pot and became one with the tension...

Seriously the guy would often be so baked that he couldn't communicate
verbally, but the dexterity of his hands didn't seem to suffer.

:P

Old March 22nd 05, 06:18 AM
Zoot Katz

Here's some ultra fixed gear riding:

http://www.hk-icycling.net/movie/erl4men.mpg

It came around on a mailing list as "Trackstand Ballet"

If you've never seen artistic cycling, this will blow your mind. Four
guys riding synchronised, hands free, mostly backwards, on one wheel.
--
zk
Old March 22nd 05, 02:39 PM
RonSonic

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:18:41 -0800, Zoot Katz wrote:

Here's some ultra fixed gear riding:

http://www.hk-icycling.net/movie/erl4men.mpg

It came around on a mailing list as "Trackstand Ballet"

If you've never seen artistic cycling, this will blow your mind. Four
guys riding synchronised, hands free, mostly backwards, on one wheel.

Baaah. It's a unicycle show. It's done on acrobat bikes but it's still a
unicycle show.

Ron

Old March 22nd 05, 05:17 PM
Steve Knight

There is also another aspect to it. With a geared bike, getting up a
steep hill is more a matter of technology than strength. On a fixed gear,
it's you against the mountain.

and that may blow out your knees if your not in good shape.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old March 22nd 05, 07:06 PM
Booker C. Bense