OMG, The kids these days and their bicycles...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 22nd 09, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default OMG, The kids these days and their bicycles...

SMS wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

A couple of years ago my son's friend came by with a bike he
had been riding that he had found curbside on trash day. The kid knew
enough to pump the tires & oil the chain, but when his freewheel
packed it up, he was clueless.

Well that's fair enough, I don't expect most kids to know how to deal
with replacing a freewhel.

Turns out it was a screwball Maillard Helicomatic (Peugeot bike) & he
was dismayed when I told him it was unrepairable -- no problem,

"http://www.yellowjersey.org/helico.html"

Yes, I know, but some things deserve to be retired. Besides, what's the
value of a wheel off a trash day bike? I replace one with another, don't
usually bother with serious repairs, I probably already have a lifetime
supply of (free) replacements.