Dogs, kids and bicycles.

Old November 2nd 03, 09:02 PM
Buck

Default Dogs, kids and bicycles.

It seems I can't get away from moronic kids these days. While pulling my
daughter in the trailer yesterday, I had another run-in with one. As I
rounded the bend along my "local" loop (the one I use for pulling the kids),
I noticed two kids walking across the street up ahead. They were off the
roadway long before I reached them, but the situation became a bit more
complex when a golden retriever came running out of the woods. I picked up
the pace and kept my eye on the dog until he was behind me. When I got near
the kids, the younger of the two jumped back into the street, threw his arms
wide and yelled "run over me, please!" Fortunately, he had the good sense to
not actually jump in front of me, but he was out far enough to make me
nervous. So, I decided to slam on the brakes and have a talk.

It turned out that the kid and the dog came from the same house. We went
back over to have a little chat with his parents. His mom answered the door
and was surprised to see me. I told her what her son had done and her
reaction was immediate - that kid was in trouble. Before I left the house,
the kid was grounded. Then we had a little chat about the dog. She seemed
reluctant at first, but when I pointed out that my daughter was in the
trailer and that a collision with her dog could injure me, my daughter and
the dog, she reluctantly agreed that the dog should be penned up.

I'll be passing that way again, but not with any kids in the trailer - at
least until I'm sure that the dog is locked up for good. As for the mom, I
have to give big kudos to her. She wasted no time in determining that her
little darling was being a little punk and put himself and others at risk.
Although he has a whole lifetime of stupid things to do, I'm betting that
jumping into traffic won't be one of them.

-Buck

Old November 3rd 03, 07:11 AM
GWB

"Buck" s c h w i n n _ f o r _ s a l e @ h o t m a i l . c o m wrote in
message .. .
[...]

I'll bet you're great fun at parties.

Old November 3rd 03, 01:55 PM
Buck

"GWB" wrote in message
m...

I'll bet you're great fun at parties.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the other threads on this
group. There is one about a kid jumping his bike in front of a car and the
parents aren't taking any responsibility for their child's stupidity. About
six weeks ago, I had one of the little darlings jump in front of me and I
ended up knocking him down. When we were kids, we used to tell each other to
"go play in traffic" as an insult. I think many of the kids these days are
dumb enough to try it.

So, it was nice to see an adult taking responsibility for her child's
actions. We have to remember that if no one lets the parent know about the
stupid things their kids do, the kids will just keep doing stupid things
until someone gets hurt.

-Buck

Old November 3rd 03, 03:07 PM
223rem

Buck wrote:
"GWB" wrote in message
m...

I'll bet you're great fun at parties.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the other threads on this
group. There is one about a kid jumping his bike in front of a car and the
parents aren't taking any responsibility for their child's stupidity. About
six weeks ago, I had one of the little darlings jump in front of me and I
ended up knocking him down. When we were kids, we used to tell each other to
"go play in traffic" as an insult. I think many of the kids these days are
dumb enough to try it.

When we were kids we also used to dart across the road when a car was
approaching. Now it sounds dumb, but we had lots of fun then.

Old November 4th 03, 09:08 AM
W K

"223rem" wrote in message
.com...

When we were kids we also used to dart across the road when a car was
approaching. Now it sounds dumb, but we had lots of fun then.

The difference is they don't dart now.

You might find it surprising that kids do this to bikes, but there are some
that play similar games with cars.
BUT he was a very disturbed child, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was
"inside" by now.

Old November 4th 03, 09:09 AM
W K

"jhuskey" wrote in message

Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on Friday
night a 14 year old pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen year old
friend and the gun fired killing his friend . He was quote as saying"I
was only trying to freak him out" . How would you like to go to that
party with the childs family.

separate for effect

A proper time and place for everything.

!!!
When is the proper time for playing games with loaded shotguns?

Old November 4th 03, 12:22 PM
Alexander Gilchrist

jhuskey wrote:

Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on Friday night a 14 year old pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend.

No, the gun didn't fire - the kid fired the gun. Guns don't normally
fire on their own. It's kind of like the headlines "Car kills bicycle
rider." Anything to keep the responsibility off the individual.

Alexander Gilchrist
Old November 4th 03, 12:35 PM
jhuskey

W K wrote:
"jhuskey" wrote in message news:3fa697-
hariot.net.au...
Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on
Friday night a 14 year old pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen
year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend . He was quote as
saying"I was only trying to freak him out" . How would you like to go
to that party with the childs family.

separate for effect
A proper time and place for everything.

!!!
When is the proper time for playing games with loaded shotguns?

When supervised by a responsible adult. You are twisting my point.
Parents should teach children the consequences of thier actions.And to
clarify. There is no proper time to play games with guns, moving
vehicles or otherwise.

Old November 4th 03, 08:35 PM
jhuskey

Alexander Gilch wrote:
jhuskey wrote:

Ilive in a small community. This is not related to cycling but on
Friday night a 14 year old pointed a 20 guage shotgun at his fourteen
year old friend and the gun fired killing his friend.

No, the gun didn't fire - the kid fired the gun. Guns don't normally
fire on their own. It's kind of like the headlines "Car kills bicycle
rider." Anything to keep the responsibility off the individual.
Alexander Gilchrist

Why does everyone try to play semantics. The child is dead . It is a
hell of a waste. That is my point. the gun fired initiated by pressure
to the firing mechanism. I am not putting down guns, I own several, just
responsibility ,or the lack of it in our society.