Help, plz., w/ panier search

Old December 3rd 05, 10:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Help, plz., w/ panier search

Hi,
I just installed TerraCycle's Easy Reacher (current design) on my 2000 VRex,
and have yet to locate panniers that have hooks mounted high enough on them
so I can squeeze the things under the seat. Also, I've never used panniers
mounted so low to the ground, so I'm wary of the size, both vertically and
horizontally.

Could you guys please suggest some makes *and models*, currently available,
that you have actually used on such a setup, or at least seen in use by a
satisfied customer? Do I need to restrict myself to front panniers?

Many thanks in advance.

DaveB

Old December 4th 05, 12:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Could you guys please suggest some makes *and models*, currently available,
that you have actually used on such a setup, or at least seen in use by a
satisfied customer? Do I need to restrict myself to front panniers?

my ortlieb classics the top will fold down to about level with the
hooks.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Old December 4th 05, 03:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

daveb wrote:
Hi,
I just installed TerraCycle's Easy Reacher (current design) on my 2000 VRex,
and have yet to locate panniers that have hooks mounted high enough on them
so I can squeeze the things under the seat. Also, I've never used panniers
mounted so low to the ground, so I'm wary of the size, both vertically and
horizontally.

Could you guys please suggest some makes *and models*, currently available,
that you have actually used on such a setup, or at least seen in use by a
satisfied customer? Do I need to restrict myself to front panniers?

Many thanks in advance.

DaveB

Have you asked TerraCycle if they know of a pannier that will fit their
rack?
Old December 4th 05, 05:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

daveb wrote:
Hi,
I just installed TerraCycle's Easy Reacher (current design) on my 2000 VRex,
and have yet to locate panniers that have hooks mounted high enough on them
so I can squeeze the things under the seat. Also, I've never used panniers
mounted so low to the ground, so I'm wary of the size, both vertically and
horizontally.

Could you guys please suggest some makes *and models*, currently available,
that you have actually used on such a setup, or at least seen in use by a
satisfied customer? Do I need to restrict myself to front panniers?

Many thanks in advance.

DaveB

The ERRC Easy Reacher panniers are made specifically for the racks:
http://www.geocities.com/e_r_r_c/panniers1.jpg (regular)
http://www.geocities.com/e_r_r_c/lloonngg.jpg (long)
http://www.geocities.com/e_r_r_c/catalog.html (catalog and ordering
info)

These are made for the ERRC by Inertia Designs.

My wife's used the regular panniers on her Tour Easy for a while in
both touring and commuting. You can also see a couple different pannier
sets being used in the "Six Warriors" tour:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...c_id=820&v=29k

Jeff

Old December 4th 05, 01:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"daveb" wrote in message
. net...
Could you guys please suggest some makes *and models*, currently

available,
that you have actually used on such a setup, or at least seen in use by a
satisfied customer? Do I need to restrict myself to front panniers?

Good morning Dave and others:

Have you given thought to the Techwind panniers by Angletech? They seem
tailor made for the Easy Reacher rack. I've got the rack on order too (for
my supersized Tour Easy SS) and after digging about and consulting other
bentheads, went with the Techwind panniers. I was also concerned about
their being mounted so low, which was one of the reasons I went with the
smaller size. Mind you, no one I spoke to indicated that I'd have any
issues with the larger ones, but I went with the smaller ones anyway. You
can see the panniers he
http://www.angletechcycles.com/accessories/techwind.htm

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

Old December 5th 05, 11:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 16:04:13 -0600, daveb wrote
(in article ):

Hi,
I just installed TerraCycle's Easy Reacher (current design) on my 2000 VRex,
and have yet to locate panniers that have hooks mounted high enough on them
so I can squeeze the things under the seat. Also, I've never used panniers
mounted so low to the ground, so I'm wary of the size, both vertically and
horizontally.

Could you guys please suggest some makes *and models*, currently available,
that you have actually used on such a setup, or at least seen in use by a
satisfied customer? Do I need to restrict myself to front panniers?

Many thanks in advance.

DaveB

Check out Arkel bags. They're out of Canada and make some that may meet your
needs. Just Google "Arkel Overdesigns" or www.arkel-od.com.

Cheers!
GLC

Old December 6th 05, 10:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:04:13 GMT, "daveb" said
in :

I just installed TerraCycle's Easy Reacher (current design) on my 2000 VRex,
and have yet to locate panniers that have hooks mounted high enough on them
so I can squeeze the things under the seat.

I've seen Radical Design's luggage in the flesh, it is well made and
recumbent-specific. http://www.radicaldesign.nl/

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old December 7th 05, 12:11 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Just zis Guy, you know? (Guy Chapman) wrote:

I've seen Radical Design's luggage in the flesh, it is well made and
recumbent-specific. http://www.radicaldesign.nl/

Leather is a common material for luggage, but flesh?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 7th 05, 03:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Consider these:

http://tinyurl.com/bbosb

which I use on my BikeE RX. I had to relocate the J-hooks and S-hook
upwards a bit to make them fit under the BikeE seat, but no big deal.
Here's a photo of them mounted on the bike.

http://tinyurl.com/8o4a7

Pamela

Old December 7th 05, 10:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I've seen Radical Design's luggage in the flesh, it is well made and
recumbent-specific. http://www.radicaldesign.nl/

Roos has toured 300 miles in a week with them on the bike and they work
well, but there are caveats...

They only work as a pair as they don't hang from rack hooks but by a
balancing strap. That's all right if you want touring cargo, but if
you're just off down the road for a loaf of bread then it's a bit over
the top having that much space.

They're a bit of a faff to get on and off, certainly compared to
something like the Ortlieb Rear Rollers I use. In practice she just
left the bags on the bike throughout the week, which is fine on a rural
tour or with locked parking everywhere, but doesn't really in with
regular use in places you'd rather not leave your baggage on board.

The biggest set (about 70l the pair, so /seriously/ big in bike bag
terms) aren't compatible with some of the lower bikes (Roos' are the 50l
set and are no trouble on her semi-low Nazca Fiero).

If your bike won't take 4 standard panniers (not that many 'bents do)
then they're a very good solution for serious amounts of cargo. One of
the models doesn't even need a rack if you've a hardshell seat. But I
wouldn't get on with them for general use about town taking bags on and
off. A seatback bag (Radical sell them too) my be a better general
purpose bag. (My bike does take 4 standard panniers, and that's what I
use for big loads, down to just one of the smaller ones for small jobs).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK