Helmet-Cam

Old October 16th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
tandemracer

Default Helmet-Cam

I haven't tried wearing the camera myself and
that might make a big difference.

Mounting the camera on your helmet will smooth out the bumps
considerably. Then the trick becomes holding your head steady so that
the camera is pointed where you want to shoot. You will get lots of
video of looking left and right at intersections or looking down at
your water bottle, etc.

Old October 17th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Joseph.Santaniello writes:

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my ride
I thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ass.../AT18_3_lg.jpg

Looks small enough, but once you put it on, it'll be years before you
meet up with another road jerk. However, if you get a picture, let us
know.

You never can tell what you might catch on video. The woman who got
the following footage was able to show it to the police when the
offending driver claimed that she swerved into _him_:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eootaHR0Q

Chalo

Old October 17th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo Colina writes:

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my
ride I thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each
ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ass.../AT18_3_lg.jpg

Looks small enough, but once you put it on, it'll be years before
you meet up with another road jerk. However, if you get a picture,
let us know.

You never can tell what you might catch on video. The woman who got
the following footage was able to show it to the police when the
offending driver claimed that she swerved into _him_:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eootaHR0Q

I think there was enough evidence for this incident to show that the
car locked its wheels in a 180° spinout blocking the lane to the right
in which the moto was proceeding. The white smoke from the tires make
clear that the direction of the car at the moment of impact was headed
the wrong way.

The video underscores what, I'm sure, a collision analysis would
reveal by itself. I hope this doesn't come to the point where we all
need to record our environment in daily life to prove the obvious. I
come to that from the expert witness work I have had for bicycle
incidents. I felt most of what I testified was obvious, but that
seems to be getting harder and harder for people to see. When
properly explained, together with physical evidence, it was obvious.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 17th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 16, 1:04 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
A jerky picture from a solid mount on the ATV isn't too surprising,
but the pixelated motion really messes things up. Looking at the cute
dogs it looks fine, but when you move the camera, the deck planks turn
to mosaic. Is that YouTube?

That is - the codec in the camera is fine (I think the color
problems are in the CCD) and the frame rate is certainly
adequate. The ATV weighs about 450 lbs (it's a small one)
and does a nice job of absorbing jolts. The rig is a lot
smaller. It's got a Manitou R7 on the front and it *feels*
like a nice ride when we're underway, but with the camera
mounted on the bars the resulting video is hideous above ~12
mph or so. I haven't tried wearing the camera myself and
that might make a big difference.

I think that if you've got the money to blow it's worth the
very reasonable price and it's fun to mess around with.
It's just pretty limited. But again, I think you probably
get your money's worth.

For better quality video one needs to spend more
on a real video setup. I've never done this but
I've seen Hans Kellner making videos and he has a
useful page about his setup:

http://www.hanskellner.com/videos/cycling.html

The helmet camera + digital videocam is relatively
compact, the setup where the digital videocam is
actually mounted on his head is probably not
something you'd want to wear on a regular basis.

Ben

Old October 17th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 16, 3:13 pm, tandemracer wrote:
I haven't tried wearing the camera myself and
that might make a big difference.

Mounting the camera on your helmet will smooth out the bumps
considerably. Then the trick becomes holding your head steady so that
the camera is pointed where you want to shoot. You will get lots of
video of looking left and right at intersections or looking down at
your water bottle, etc.

I'm not sure what kind of camera this guy has but I know he often had
it clipped to the shoulder of his messenger bag: shoulder cam.

http://www.milehighmess.com/vid/moun...messengers.mov

Robert

Old October 17th 07, 10:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 17, 1:39 am, wrote:
Chalo Colina writes:
[...]

While all that is true, I'm sure just showing the video to the
officers and the driver and insurance co was enough to get them to
call it a day. It perhaps didn't have to get so far as court and
expert witnesses, and accident investigation teams, etc.

As effective as this helmet cam was for this accident, I'll bet it's
even more effective for less serious incidents, where the consequences
are normally zero as there is usually no follow-up at all.

Joseph

Old October 17th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:17:12 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi All,

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my ride I
thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...id=107&pid=709

At half a pound you probably wouldn't want to mount one of these on
your helmet. For comparison, that's the weight of a cup of water.

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old October 17th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I was thinking about getting one of these for goofing around, but
after a jerk driver tried to teach me a lesson today out on my ride I
thought such a thing would be nice to have to document each ride:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...id=107&pid=709

Joseph

Save some $$.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...178257-1304603