Helmet-Cam

Old October 24th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Bennett

Default OT Rant

Michael Press wrote:

Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

Damn, too many private schools! And for Michael, "blaggard" is the
official pirate spelling of blackguard. I suffer from the failings of
an undergraduate education at a public university with low admissions
standards for instate students (but with exceptionally low tuition).

Just as you accept the possibilty that using the pirate
spelling could draw comment, I address the possibility
that some readers will take the pirate spelling to be normal.

And you say it isn't? Well. . . .shiver me timbers.

--
Ted Bennett
Old October 24th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Andrew Muzi mused:
Perhaps the brewery and beer tradition of Wisconsin
staves off such insanity.

Or, this being Wisconsin, perhaps the decision makers are perpetually
half plotched.
(we're #1 in alcohol consumption. woo hoo! My staff makes a significant
contribution to those numbers)

People drink beer in Wisconsin?

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 24th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

-snip-
Jay Beattie wrote:
San Jose State
University (the Harvard of San Jose),. . . (SJSU
is notable for having a pub on campus), -snip-

Andrew Muzi:
There are institutions of higher learning without beer on site?
http://www.union.wisc.edu/terrace/

Tom Sherman wrote:
I am always amazed that more students do not fall off the docks into
Lake Mendota.

Maybe you weren't paying attention?
Plenty of drunks (including my brother), bikes (including my service
manager's bike), motorcycles, upside down boats, windsurfers etc
succumb to the beer-lake magnetic effect.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old October 24th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Andrew Muzi mused:
-snip- Jay Beattie wrote:
San Jose State
University (the Harvard of San Jose),. . . (SJSU is notable for
having a pub on campus), -snip-

There are institutions of higher learning without beer on site?
http://www.union.wisc.edu/terrace/

I am always amazed that more students do not fall off the docks into
Lake Mendota.

That's more of a problem in La Crosse, where something like 8 UW-L
students have apparently mistakenly walked into the Mississippi River in
the past few years. It's uphill back to the school, downhill to the
river...

My college in Winona MN had a pub on campus that served beer. The
school was out of town a bit and there were a number of DWI arrests,
accidents and a couple of deaths associated with drinking and driving.
It was hoped that by serving beer on campus, there'd be less of that.
It worked reasonably well for me and my friends.

There are up to 10 college rentals within a half-block of my house
(there were none when I bought the house; all have happened in the past
7 years). A trend in colleges has been to admit ever more students
without providing on-campus housing (muy more profitable without
incurring construction costs). The raising of the drinking age to 21
has had the unintended consequences of promoting massive house parties,
since nobody cards their friends, and spectacular demonstrations of
inebriation in the street in front of my house two to four nights a week
most weeks. The guy peeing on my front lawn on Friday night got quite
the shock when I flipped on the porch light. I suspect that he had to
go home and change from the consequences of doing the stuff 'n' run.

I'm not sure that NCLB's emphasis on prepping every kid for college is
all that great since it'll just mean more drunken louts peeing and/or
puking on my lawn.

If they could legally drink on campus, maybe they'd pee or puke on the
college's property instead of mine...
Old October 24th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Andrew Muzi mused:
-snip- Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

The colleges are not supposed to build student housing because that
would interfere with the "right" of private landlords to profit from the
students.

The raising of the drinking age to 21
has had the unintended consequences of promoting massive house parties,
since nobody cards their friends, and spectacular demonstrations of
inebriation in the street in front of my house two to four nights a week
most weeks. The guy peeing on my front lawn on Friday night got quite
the shock when I flipped on the porch light. I suspect that he had to
go home and change from the consequences of doing the stuff 'n' run.

The US policies on mood altering substances are the most rediculous in
the "western" world.

I'm not sure that NCLB's emphasis on prepping every kid for college is
all that great since it'll just mean more drunken louts peeing and/or
puking on my lawn.

If they could legally drink on campus, maybe they'd pee or puke on the
college's property instead of mine...

Have you thought of building an electric fence? Peeing on that would be
a valuable lesson to the drunk students.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 24th 07, 09:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Andrew Muzi mused:
-snip-

Tom Sherman wrote:
I am always amazed that more students do not fall off the docks into
Lake Mendota.

Maybe you weren't paying attention?
Plenty of drunks (including my brother), bikes (including my service
manager's bike), motorcycles, upside down boats, windsurfers etc
succumb to the beer-lake magnetic effect.

Deliberately "tacoing" the wheels of any parked bike in the area does
seem to be a favorite activity of drunken students, so throwing stuff in
the lake is likely just an extension of those activities, particularly
with all the monkey houses, er fraternities nearby on Langdon.

But look on the bright side - they have succeeded in greatly reducing
the number of mallards along the lake front[1], so the City of Madison
is having some success in its War on Birds.

[1] Lucky for some, no one is enforcing federal regulations protecting
migratory waterfowl.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!