Shimano Hollowtech lateral play - fixed

Old January 6th 20, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Shimano Hollowtech lateral play - fixed

I loosened the pinch bolts and removed the adjustment/preload cap. I
found that a 12mm allen key would just fit the adjustment cap - as I
don't have the special tool that should have come with the bike I suppose.

I pushed the RHS crank and popped the axle as far left as it would go,
then noticed there was about 2mm of spline showing on the LHS crank, so
I guessed I wouldn't need a shim.

I screwed the cap back in so that it was certainly contacting the crank
with probably more torque than specified, then backed it out a wee bit,
maybe 1/4 turn.

I see no point in loading the bearings. I just want to remove the slop.

Using my torque wrench then tightened the pinch bolts to 13 Nm, to be in
the middle of the specified 12-14 Nm range.

I'll see how it goes from there.

In other news, the bike has done 2225 km since new, and some of that has
been pretty serious gravel riding through wet conditions and dry and up
hills that required me to use the granny gears (~20% on gravel does it).

I have applied my wax/oil treatment to the chain a couple of times
already and measured the chain today. There is no perceivable
elongation past 12" for 24 links using a 12" steel rule to measure.

--
JS

Shimano Hollowtech lateral play James[_8_] Techniques 31 January 8th 20 12:34 AM
Shimano Hollowtech Bob[_2_] UK 24 July 21st 09 08:44 PM
Shimano Hollowtech II Bearings. Drinky UK 8 November 14th 07 01:51 PM
FA: SHIMANO DEORE 26/36/48 Hollowtech CRANKSET- Pizza Man Marketplace 0 April 15th 05 07:19 PM
Rear derailleur lateral play John McGraw Techniques 10 September 11th 04 06:45 PM