Repad a brake pad w/shoe goo?

Old November 18th 05, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Repad a brake pad w/shoe goo?

In times when a replacement brake pad cannot be found, is it possible
to repad a brake pad with a product like shoe goo (used to resole
sneakers)? When dry, shoe goo seems slicker than brake pad material,
but it is also tackier, so it might grip the wheel rim well. Any
thoughts?

Old November 18th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I say try it and find out why it won't work.

Steve McDonald

Old November 18th 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 04:41:23 -0800, qwesstar wrote:

In times when a replacement brake pad cannot be found, is it possible
to repad a brake pad with a product like shoe goo (used to resole
sneakers)? When dry, shoe goo seems slicker than brake pad material,
but it is also tackier, so it might grip the wheel rim well. Any
thoughts?

Bad idea. Very bad idea. Guy I know managed to break his back because of
a fall he blamed on grabbing of new brakes. Another had a nasty crash on
the head due to using ceramic-specific pads on a non-ceramic rim.

You don't want a pad that will grab unexpectedly.

But what do you mean "a replacement brake pad cannot be found"? Any bike
shop will have brake pads that will fit. There just aren't that many
kinds -- unless you insist on re-using the old housing and just want to
replace the insert. Get a one-piece replacement for now and find the
insert that fits your holder later.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
_`\(,_ | should on no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 18th 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

as strange as it sounds , I made some replacement brake pads out of a shed
tread carcassI found on the side of the road during the height of the
firestone tire /explorer debacle a while back- tried them on the rear first
(a long wheel base recumbent) then finally on the front- worked fine and
left less crud on the rims than the standard (crap) pads. Pat

Old November 18th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 18 Nov 2005 04:41:23 -0800, "qwesstar" wrote:

In times when a replacement brake pad cannot be found, is it possible
to repad a brake pad with a product like shoe goo (used to resole
sneakers)? When dry, shoe goo seems slicker than brake pad material,
but it is also tackier, so it might grip the wheel rim well. Any
thoughts?

I doubt it will work, and it may even be unsafe. Pads aren't that hard
to find, but if yours are, I have a kooky idea, buy a spare set.
Keep a set on the shelf and when you use them, buy another set. That
way, this will never be an issue again.

The above is also a good idea for cables, chains, tubes, and tires.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old November 18th 05, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:31:12 -0800, patrick mitchel wrote:

as strange as it sounds , I made some replacement brake pads out of a shed
tread carcassI found on the side of the road during the height of the
firestone tire /explorer debacle a while back- tried them on the rear first
(a long wheel base recumbent) then finally on the front- worked fine and
left less crud on the rims than the standard (crap) pads. Pat

I recently bought replacement pads; I think it was 4 pads/$8 -- Koolstop
pads, not junk, and they came with nice holders, too. So, how much work
is it to do your own? How reliable are they, and how are they in the rain?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Old November 18th 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"David L. Johnson" writes:

I recently bought replacement pads; I think it was 4 pads/$8 -- Koolstop
pads, not junk, and they came with nice holders, too. So, how much work
is it to do your own? How reliable are they, and how are they in the rain?

I haven't seen pads at anything like that price at my LBS. Did
you buy pads at a bike shop or online (or somewhere else)?
--
Ben Pfaff
email:
Old November 18th 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:27:39 -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

I haven't seen pads at anything like that price at my LBS. Did
you buy pads at a bike shop or online (or somewhere else)?

I think those were on-line. Maybe from Harris Cyclery, but maybe not.
They were a good sale price, which is why I got them even though I didn't
need them at the time (I'll put them on when I service the bike this
winter, on the first snowy weekend).

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

Old November 18th 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

patrick mitchel wrote:
as strange as it sounds , I made some replacement brake pads out of a shed
tread carcassI found on the side of the road during the height of the
firestone tire /explorer debacle a while back- tried them on the rear first
(a long wheel base recumbent) then finally on the front- worked fine and
left less crud on the rims than the standard (crap) pads. Pat

Ohhhh Huarache-Stops!

*g*

Old November 18th 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ben Pfaff wrote:
"David L. Johnson" writes:

I recently bought replacement pads; I think it was 4 pads/$8 -- Koolstop
pads, not junk, and they came with nice holders, too. So, how much work
is it to do your own? How reliable are they, and how are they in the rain?

I haven't seen pads at anything like that price at my LBS. Did
you buy pads at a bike shop or online (or somewhere else)?
--

You can routinely get two packs of KoolStop Continentals from Ebay for
$8 + shipping. The Eagle Claws will run $13 for two packs. Seller is