UK - Muni head to head race - feeler

Old February 18th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

Default UK - Muni head to head race - feeler

I went riding with some mountain biking friends near Bedford yesterday.
The place we were at had the most awesome four cross, dual slalom,
north shore, cross country and free ride areas. It set me thinking,
would people be interested in trying to organise some sort of head to
head off-road racing event? I would probably try and split people up in
to wheel size classes, 24", 26" and 29" would all be viable, and
possibly even 36" for the experienced cokeur. There are no unavoidable
drops in the course, it certainly wouldn't require a splined hub. We
could have practise in the morning, then a few heats and a final, and
obviously people woud be free to ride the north shore etc. at any
point. Using the course costs £5 for adults, £3 for juniors, if a lot
of people show interest I may charge a small entrance fee and organise
medals/trophies for the winners. I have no idea about dates yet,
probably during the easter holidays on a weekend.

Please post if you'd be interested in this idea, and what wheel size(s)
you would intend to race with so I can get a vague idea of numbers,
thank you.

--
kington99

Dave

Old February 18th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Sounds cool - I'm always up for a race. I can't say I'll definitely be
able to make it, but I like the idea.
I'd be riding 26x3, but I'll happily race against 29ers.

Rob

--
rob.northcott

'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
weekend in May 2006
'Same again this year anyone?'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) It'll be
dry, I promise.

Old February 18th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ian.stockwell

I'm game for this, I would also be on a 26x3.
Easter is looking pretty busy at the moment but I'll come if I can.

--
ian.stockwell

A chocolate unicycle tastes great but is a bugger to ride.
ian.stockwell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12265

Old February 19th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

This sounds like a good idea. I'd be up for it, probably on 36" or
maybe 29".

How about March 31st or April 14th? Is there potential for two days of
riding and a full weekend?

Sam

--
redwelly

"Sometimes you feel like pizza, somethings you feel like chocolate,
sometimes you feel like throwing up, so it's really nice to be able to
pick and choose." - Ken Looi, -GizmoDuck-
redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518

Old February 19th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Loosemoose

This sounds like fun, definitely interested in either attending and
racing or helping you organise Dave. 26x3, obviously.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Vice President - Southampton University Circus Society

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
Floyd
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Old February 21st 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Is this looking like a goer, or have you not had enough interest? If
I'm going to have any hope of being there I need to get things sorted
out pretty soon.

Rob

Old February 21st 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnhimsworth

I'd probably be up for this, although I'm a bit lacking in free weekends
so can't guarantee anything.

Just one thought - am I right in thinking you're talking about a
chicksands? You sure it'll be alright to clog the place up with lots of
unicyclists?

--
johnhimsworth

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
beat you with experience.
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old February 21st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

I'm watching this thread

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

2 unispins landed!
don't follow Jesus, follow me!

thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Old February 21st 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

johnhimsworth wrote:
Just one thought - am I right in thinking you're talking about a
chicksands? You sure it'll be alright to clog the place up with lots of
unicyclists?

I am indeed talking about chicksands, yes we'd have to be slightly
careful not to annoy other users, but I must have run the 4 cross
course about 2 dozen times during the day without a single negative
comment. The bikers seemed more interested to see how I did than
worried that I was taking slightly longer than they did. Even at the
busiest time I would only have to wait a minute or two before there was
no one waiting to use the track and i could use it without fear of
getting in the way. Seemed the biggest crowds were round the dirt jump
lines, which are of course of no interest to us.

Had 6 positive replies so far, not enough for anything formal but
enough for a bit of a shindig, I'll pick a date by the end of the
weekend and post it up so people can try and make arrangements.

--
kington99

Dave

Old February 21st 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

There is a big and scary north shore thing (Herts Shore) round near
there which I think isn't too many miles from Chicksands. I think Aaron
from Cumbria has ridden it, also I believe Joe Rowing might have, but I
might be going mental.

It's kind of invite only / non public though, you basically have to get
permission / location information off the guy Tony who runs it (online
he's called Jedi), or one of the other guys involved.

It would be cool although blatantly irresponsible and illegal to do
Snowdon as a race, almost everywhere is wide enough to overtake, and
there's loads of scope for strategic line choice, big crashes etc.

On the last few Peaks rides I've been on, we've effectively done
multi-rider racing, or at least the 3 or 4 people at the front of the
group have. It's cool fun.

I'm always up for racing, but will still be in NZ.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Feeler - Dartmoor Muni Weekend 2007 - who's interested? rob.northcott Unicycling 65 July 23rd 07 04:15 PM
It's all in the head uni will Unicycling 6 November 15th 05 08:42 AM
It's all in the head uni will Unicycling 0 November 15th 05 01:46 AM
Head [email protected] Mountain Biking 1 June 15th 04 02:42 PM
Fundamental error in "Trends in serious head injuries..." Cook andSheikh 2003Fundamental error in "Trends in serious head injuries..." Cookand Sheikh 2003 James Annan UK 12 June 13th 04 11:14 AM