Is this a phishing scam?

Old March 2nd 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default Is this a phishing scam?

I got this on an email email today. http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

Andres

Old March 2nd 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 2, 6:34 am, " wrote:
I got this on an email email today.http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

Andres

Call these folks and ask:

Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce
21 University Dr
Augusta, Maine 04330
207-623-4559

Good luck!

Old March 2nd 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

wrote:
I got this on an email email today.
http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

Andres

I got the email too, but I didn't open it. I assume they harvested our
names from this group.

BC
Old March 2nd 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 2, 8:43 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:34 am, " wrote:

I got this on an email email today.http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

I was wondering the same thing, and they're only 2 hours from my
house. If weather and schedule permit I may drive up there and check
it out in person this weekend. I'll post back if I do.

Old March 2nd 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 2, 8:43 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:34 am, " wrote:

I got this on an email email today.http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

Andres

Call these folks and ask:

Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce
21 University Dr
Augusta, Maine 04330
207-623-4559

Good luck!

Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce has no listing or reference to
Jeromes. They've had many calls, but know nothing.

Autusta Police are in the same boat. They were able to tell me
exactly where it should be, in reference to two businesses across the
street. The officer I spoke with had no knowledge of there being a
business across the street, and seemed to think if it was a business
it was being run out of a house. I find it hard to imagine a house-
based store has enough of an inventory to warrant a web-based sale of
in-stock bikes.

Augusta Attorney General has been busy for the past hour.

Calling the # listed for Jeromes in the email goes to a voicemail
stating all lines are busy and to try later or contact via email,
which is a free yahoo address as opposed to an addy that ties in with
their website. The way the voice says "bicycles" (hear: bee see
kles) makes it clear it's an automated voice.

Google searching the phone # in the email results in two hits. One
references Jack's Cycling Store, and the other Norman's Cycling Store.

At this point I'm calling shenanigans. YMMV.

Old March 2nd 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alex

On Mar 2, 9:53 am, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:43 am, "Ozark Bicycle"

Autusta Police are in the same boat. They were able to tell me
exactly where it should be, in reference to two businesses across the
street. The officer I spoke with had no knowledge of there being a
business across the street, and seemed to think if it was a business
it was being run out of a house. I find it hard to imagine a house-
based store has enough of an inventory to warrant a web-based sale of
in-stock bikes.

I did a google earth search on the address to get a satellite view.
Unfortunately it lists the location in the middle of the road.
Looking on either side it does look like there might be a business
there.

Calling the # listed for Jeromes in the email goes to a voicemail
stating all lines are busy and to try later or contact via email,
which is a free yahoo address as opposed to an addy that ties in with
their website. The way the voice says "bicycles" (hear: bee see
kles) makes it clear it's an automated voice.

Google searching the phone # in the email results in two hits. One
references Jack's Cycling Store, and the other Norman's Cycling Store.

That sounds very fishy to me. Maybe this scam has been pulled off
before with those two names?
---------------
Alex

Old March 2nd 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

wrote:
I got this on an email email today.
http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

FWIW, the website looks like a classic "template" for a faux bike shop. All
the clues are there.

Bill "scent o' rat" S.

Old March 2nd 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 2, 8:53 am, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:43 am, "Ozark Bicycle"

wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:34 am, " wrote:

[...]

Yep, sure sounds like a scam at this point.

I just wonder why on earth they chose a place like Augusta, Maine as
the mythical location (???).

Old March 2nd 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 2, 12:23 pm, "Alex" wrote:
I did a google earth search on the address to get a satellite view.
Unfortunately it lists the location in the middle of the road.
Looking on either side it does look like there might be a business
there.

I did the same with G-Earth & G-Map sattelite view with the same
results. Unfortunately you can't get much of a Zoom up in those
parts.

That sounds very fishy to me. Maybe this scam has been pulled off
before with those two names?

That's what I'm thinking.

On Mar 2, 12:50 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
FWIW, the website looks like a classic "template" for a faux bike shop. All
the clues are there.

First time I've seen this particular scam/template, good to know.

On Mar 2, 12:59 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:
Yep, sure sounds like a scam at this point.

I agree. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad. I really can't afford yet
another bike, but I sure would like to have another all the same...

I just wonder why on earth they chose a place like Augusta, Maine as
the mythical location (???).- Hide quoted text -

Pure speculation, but perhaps because it's far enough off the beaten
path for someone to readily drive by & check (i.e. NYC or Seattle,
where cyclists are everywhere) but still in the US. Maine probably
doesn't have the most active cycling community ever seen.

Old March 2nd 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

wrote:
I got this on an email email today.
http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

FWIW, the website looks like a classic "template" for a faux bike shop. All
the clues are there.

Bill "scent o' rat" S.

Indeed. The Google Earth picture is very clear and detailed but as
someone else pointed out, the address is located in the middle of a four
lane. There are a couple of buildings nearby that could house
businesses.

Jerome's is not listed as a dealer on the Litespeed Web site, but they
list Litespeed as one of their brands. They are not listed as a Trek
dealer on Trek's Web site, but Jerome's lists Trek as one of their
brands. And finally, ditto for Specialized. Shockingly, they are also
not listed as a dealer on the Cannondale Web site.

Enough "detective" work. It's probably a scam. Time to send e-mails to
the respective manufacturers and to the Web hosting company notifying
them of this Web site. If it's legit, they'll be fine.

ozebay scam or no scam? Gemma Kernich Australia 3 October 30th 04 04:51 AM
OT : scam? john riley Recumbent Biking 0 October 14th 04 07:33 PM
A new scam Tony W UK 7 August 13th 04 07:36 PM