Shimano Hollowtech

Old July 17th 09, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob[_2_]

Default Shimano Hollowtech

Can anyone tell me if you can fit a Shimano Hollowtech crankset to any
old bike...? The transmission on my ols Spesh Hard Rock commuting bike
is looking like it needs replacing and I'm wondering if something like
http://bit.ly/14TfSB would fit.

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
Old July 17th 09, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
michael adams

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Can anyone tell me if you can fit a Shimano Hollowtech crankset to any
old bike...? The transmission on my ols Spesh Hard Rock commuting bike
is looking like it needs replacing and I'm wondering if something like
http://bit.ly/14TfSB would fit.

Although usually averse to posting bare links it can't really be put any
better than this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bracket

As you can see, based just on the link there's no guarentee it will fit.

You may well need to swap out both the BB and chainset with a new matching
BB and chainset with the same shell width and threading.

michael adams

Cheers,

Old July 17th 09, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

"Bob" wrote in message
| Can anyone tell me if you can fit a Shimano Hollowtech crankset to any
| old bike...? The transmission on my ols Spesh Hard Rock commuting bike
| is looking like it needs replacing and I'm wondering if something like
| http://bit.ly/14TfSB would fit.

That looks like a spline fit crankset to me - do you have this or square
taper for your BB - square taper cranks have a bolt on both cranks that
screws into the end of the bb, usually with a Hex key.

Square taper and Splined (octolink is the term iirc) are not compatible, and
certainly my old (2001) Hardrock Sport was square taper.

You can still get taper fit cranks, e.g.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sh...et/5360029483/
but they are becoming a little scarce

You may have bolted rings on your crankset (models above the Hardrock Sport
which I had, had this) in which case, just replace the rings. If you do
have to replace the entire crankset, try and get one that has bolted rings,
so that future replacements are a little easier.

All the best,

pOB

Old July 17th 09, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Bob wrote:
Can anyone tell me if you can fit a Shimano Hollowtech crankset to any
old bike...? The transmission on my ols Spesh Hard Rock commuting bike
is looking like it needs replacing and I'm wondering if something like
http://bit.ly/14TfSB would fit.

Cheers,

There's usually a Shimano BB to fit most bikes.
Just depends on the three/four? main variables.
Occasionally bike manufacturers seem to take sadistic pleasure in
changing the spec for just a year or even shorter and( for what ever
reason) went for some rare variety you can only get on order from
elsewhere on the planet.
--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old July 17th 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob[_2_]

PoB wrote:

[snipped...]

That looks like a spline fit crankset to me - do you have this or square
taper for your BB - square taper cranks have a bolt on both cranks that
screws into the end of the bb, usually with a Hex key.

Square taper and Splined (octolink is the term iirc) are not compatible, and
certainly my old (2001) Hardrock Sport was square taper.

You can still get taper fit cranks, e.g.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sh...et/5360029483/
but they are becoming a little scarce

You may have bolted rings on your crankset (models above the Hardrock Sport
which I had, had this) in which case, just replace the rings. If you do
have to replace the entire crankset, try and get one that has bolted rings,
so that future replacements are a little easier.

It's got replaceable chain rings, but I'm after upping the current 7 speed
set to 9 speed. I figured I may as well upgrade the BB and chainset while
I'm at it.

Cheers,

Old July 17th 09, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

"Bob" wrote in message

| It's got replaceable chain rings, but I'm after upping the current 7 speed
| set to 9 speed. I figured I may as well upgrade the BB and chainset while
| I'm at it.

Aye - you'll need to do the works, but no worries then,

All the best

pOB

Old July 17th 09, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben Micklem[_2_]

Bob wrote:
Can anyone tell me if you can fit a Shimano Hollowtech crankset to any
old bike...? The transmission on my ols Spesh Hard Rock commuting bike
is looking like it needs replacing and I'm wondering if something like
http://bit.ly/14TfSB would fit.

Yes, it will fit.

That chainset doesn't use a separate bottom bracket, so all talk of
octlink and square taper are not relevant.

There are spacers supplied for the smaller (usually older) 68mm wide
bottom bracket shells, and will fit up to 73mm bottom bracket shells.

The external bearing cups are supposed to wear a bit more than internal
bearings (square taper), probably about the same or a bit better than
octalink (that had a big hollow axle with small bearing inside the
shell). The advantage is there is a huge tubular axle that is very
strong and the whole thing is very stiff.

Ben
Old July 17th 09, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 17 July, 12:12, "PoB" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

| Can anyone tell me if you can fit a Shimano Hollowtech crankset to any
| old bike...? The transmission on my ols Spesh Hard Rock commuting bike
| is looking like it needs replacing and I'm wondering if something like
|http://bit.ly/14TfSBwould fit.

That looks like a spline fit crankset to me

It isn't, it's an outboard bearing.

Square taper and Splined (octolink is the term iirc) are not compatible, and
certainly my old (2001) Hardrock Sport was square taper.

It's worse than this. There are (very) many slightly different square
taper standards and not even all Shimano square tapers are compatible
with one another. In theory there are only two standards, JIS and ISO;
but in practice the lateral position where the crank sits on the taper
varies, and some manufacturers align the crank parallel with the flat
on the taper, some at 30 degrees to it and some at 45 degrees to it.
There also are half a dozen different splined standards and none of
them are compatible with one another; and now (more relevant for the
OP) there are any number of competing outboard bearing systems as
well.

The simplest solution is to replace chainset and BB together. The
crankset he has selected is an outboard-bearing type and he needs to
also get the appropriate outboard bearing cups.
Old July 17th 09, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob[_2_]

Simon Brooke wrote:

[snipped...]

The simplest solution is to replace chainset and BB together. The
crankset he has selected is an outboard-bearing type and he needs to
also get the appropriate outboard bearing cups.

The bike currently has a standard Shimano square taper type BB. I know
nothing about these external bearing type cranksets, so just want to know
if it'll fit or not before splashing the cash.

Cheers,

Old July 17th 09, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:47:33 +0100, Bob wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

[snipped...]

The simplest solution is to replace chainset and BB together. The
crankset he has selected is an outboard-bearing type and he needs to
also get the appropriate outboard bearing cups.

The bike currently has a standard Shimano square taper type BB. I know
nothing about these external bearing type cranksets, so just want to know
if it'll fit or not before splashing the cash.

You remove the existing BB. The chainset you linked to in the original
post has external bearing and axle and all the other bits you'll need
to make it fit. At least according to the exploded view at

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-T661-2850_v1_m56577569830648094.pdf

it does.

AIUI this design is less tolerant of mislaigned BB shells - the faces
need to be parallel to each other. You can get the BB shell "faced" at
your LBS.

--
Tim