1980s MIELE MYB Dropbar Conversion

Old November 5th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default 1980s MIELE MYB Dropbar Conversion

I bought this MIELE MTB frame, deraillers, brake calipers and seatpost quick release for $10.00 and converted it to a dropbar tourer.

Drivetrain is Old School Shimano DEORE. I have another DEORE front derailler that has the Deer Head on it that I'm going to use instead of the DEORE one that's on there now. The bar-end shifters are ULTEGRA 9-speed and the brake levers are TIAGRA.

There are 9 images of the bikehere.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknCr94H

Cheers
Old November 6th 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 2:54:18 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I bought this MIELE MTB frame, deraillers, brake calipers and seatpost quick release for $10.00 and converted it to a dropbar tourer.

Drivetrain is Old School Shimano DEORE. I have another DEORE front derailler that has the Deer Head on it that I'm going to use instead of the DEORE one that's on there now. The bar-end shifters are ULTEGRA 9-speed and the brake levers are TIAGRA.

There are 9 images of the bikehere.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknCr94H

Cheers

Nice but what are you going to do with it? Do you not already have bikes which you prefer to ride?

Old November 6th 15, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:54:15 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I bought this MIELE MTB frame, deraillers, brake calipers and seatpost quick release for $10.00 and converted it to a dropbar tourer.

Drivetrain is Old School Shimano DEORE. I have another DEORE front derailler that has the Deer Head on it that I'm going to use instead of the DEORE one that's on there now. The bar-end shifters are ULTEGRA 9-speed and the brake levers are TIAGRA.

There are 9 images of the bikehere.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknCr94H

Cheers

A nice bike.

Question: Your front derailer appears to be a two speed model. Does it
shift the triple chain ring with no problems?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 6th 15, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

I bought this MIELE MTB frame, deraillers, brake calipers and seatpost quick release for $10.00 and converted it to a dropbar tourer.

Drivetrain is Old School Shimano DEORE. I have another DEORE front derailler that has the Deer Head on it that I'm going to use instead of the DEORE one that's on there now. The bar-end shifters are ULTEGRA 9-speed and the brake levers are TIAGRA.

There are 9 images of the bikehere.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknCr94H

Cheers

A nice bike.

Question: Your front derailer appears to be a two speed model. Does it
shift the triple chain ring with no problems?
--
cheers,

John B.

That's a deep inner cage DEORE TOURING TRIPLE front derailler John. As such it shifts the three rrings fine. The crankset and deraillers are designed to be compatible with each other.

Cheers
Old November 6th 15, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 6:26:04 PM UTC-5, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 2:54:18 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I bought this MIELE MTB frame, deraillers, brake calipers and seatpost quick release for $10.00 and converted it to a dropbar tourer.

Drivetrain is Old School Shimano DEORE. I have another DEORE front derailler that has the Deer Head on it that I'm going to use instead of the DEORE one that's on there now. The bar-end shifters are ULTEGRA 9-speed and the brake levers are TIAGRA.

There are 9 images of the bikehere.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknCr94H

Cheers

Nice but what are you going to do with it? Do you not already have bikes which you prefer to ride?

I have other MTB bikes converted to dropbar tourers but I really like MIELE and will now use this one instead of the other MTB to dropbar conversion bicycles i have. i think in the spring I'll sell or give away a couple of them.

Cheers
Old November 6th 15, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

It must be the pictures then - the one my browser shows, next to the
one of the rear derailer, and a larger one below it showing mainly the
chain ring.

The outer lip of the front derailer appears to be much higher then the
large chain ring and the inner lip seems as high as a normal two ring
derailer. In fact the photo seems to show the inner lip almost the
height of the large chain ring.

Thus my question.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 6th 15, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Biopace chainrings.

Cheers
Old November 7th 15, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Wow! You really go for the "old Stuff" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 7th 15, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 7:32:09 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:56:50 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Snipped
Biopace chainrings.

Cheers

Wow! You really go for the "old Stuff" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

If it works and it's in good condition then I don't mind using it. Boipace is really nice on a loaded bike or for going up hills. It really smoothes things out and you can still spin with Biopace.

It's nice to be able to resurrect these old components and give them new life.

Cheers
Old November 7th 15, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

Snipped
Biopace chainrings.

Cheers

Wow! You really go for the "old Stuff" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

If it works and it's in good condition then I don't mind using it. Boipace is really nice on a loaded bike or for going up hills. It really smoothes things out and you can still spin with Biopace.

It's nice to be able to resurrect these old components and give them new life.

Cheers

I never rode a "biospace" but the ides seems very logical. How does it
feel on a level? Do you notice it at all?
--
cheers,

John B.