and the answer is... Magnets!

Old January 10th 20, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default and the answer is... Magnets!

https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/06/pat...don-wave-tech/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 10th 20, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/06/pat...don-wave-tech/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Doesn't it seem sort of silly that you would drill a million holes in a chainring to make them as light as possible and then stick steel magnets on them? On 1 x's I suppose the problem is going to be chain retention what with very wide rear cog ratios nd no front derailleur to hold them in place. But don't you think a plastic retention cage would both work better and be lighter?
Old January 13th 20, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:31:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/06/pat...don-wave-tech/
-- Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Doesn't it seem sort of silly that you would drill a million holes in
a chainring to make them as light as possible and then stick steel
magnets on them? On 1 x's I suppose the problem is going to be chain
retention what with very wide rear cog ratios nd no front derailleur
to hold them in place. But don't you think a plastic retention cage
would both work better and be lighter?

Or just taller teeth on the chainring.
Old January 13th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:
On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/06/pat...don-wave-tech/
-- Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Doesn't it seem sort of silly that you would drill a million holes in
a chainring to make them as light as possible and then stick steel
magnets on them? On 1 x's I suppose the problem is going to be chain
retention what with very wide rear cog ratios nd no front derailleur
to hold them in place. But don't you think a plastic retention cage
would both work better and be lighter?

Or just taller teeth on the chainring.

Clearly I don't understand how the magnet idea would work. My first
impression is that it would really exaggerate any chain suck, which is a
bad thing.

I mean, how is the chain supposed to know "/here/ I'm supposed to work
with the magnet and stay on the ring, but /there/ I should roll neatly
off the ring and ignore the magnet?"

Mark J.

Old January 13th 20, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:
[...]

I suppose that as a chain link reached the bottom of the sprocket the
magnet would in essence move away from the link and thus the magnetic
attraction would lessen.

On the other hand I have read that a substantial part of the cost of
making a cellular phone, as much as 30%, is the payment of patent fees
to other companies that hold these patents. Perhaps the "magnetic
sprocket" is simply an effort to patent everything in sight and thus
(perhaps) inflate the value of one's company.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 13th 20, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
[...]

I wonder how long it'd take for the chain itself to become slightly magnetized - enough to hold all that fine grit as the chain wears thereby hastening chain and chainring and sprocket wear?

Cheers
Old January 13th 20, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:
[...]

Which, of course, adds to the GDP, a tiny bit, which I am told is a
good thing. :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 13th 20, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/06/pat...don-wave-tech/
-- Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Doesn't it seem sort of silly that you would drill a million holes in
a chainring to make them as light as possible and then stick steel
magnets on them? On 1 x's I suppose the problem is going to be chain
retention what with very wide rear cog ratios nd no front derailleur
to hold them in place. But don't you think a plastic retention cage
would both work better and be lighter?

Or just taller teeth on the chainring.

One of the latest improvements by Shimano on their GPX is some sort of hydraulic damping on their rear derailleur to keep the chain from hopping off under bumps. So this much be more of a problems than I've had. I simply pulled a link out of the chain to pull the chain tighter against the RD spring.
Old January 13th 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

It's called a clutch. It's older mountain bike technology made new again in the GPX/Ultegra group.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 14th 20, 09:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 10.01.2020 um 19:14 schrieb AMuzi:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/06/pat...don-wave-tech/

The answer was "Magnets" also in a FIRSTLegoLeague research by some 12
and 9-year old kids last weekend.
Their question was "How can I design a swing that my friend in a wheel
chair can operate on her own?".

Back on topic: my kids compared various routes in the city center with
Strava https://www.strava.com/athletes/rosapanther (how many people go
on the main road, how many take a parallel road on the right, how many
on the left? What's the delay of crossing the main road with pedestrian
traffic lights?).