Hitting your head

Old January 23rd 20, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Hitting your head

On 1/22/2020 8:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Ah Frank, if that is one of your usual put-downs, I have a battery light -- like I said. I have a dyno light and a battery light. Best of both worlds. I used both of them tonight. The hub drag is making me super-strong, too. For the one or two years after getting my no hole in crown fork, I just used my all-in-one battery light -- which was fine, but a few times I forgot to charge and had to make my way home with a blinky. I changed my situation by drilling my crown, tapping it and wiring up the mood light and reliving the same disappointment I experienced years ago. I changed my situation by getting back-up light which is useless as a primary light in many places I ride in my village.

Your behavior constitutes a silent vote for batteries.
Old January 23rd 20, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:40:10 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 10:01:48 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:33:32 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/22/2020 2:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

snip

In 2003 I was riding home from work with my homebrew lighting system
that used two 14 watt 12V sealed beam halogen lamps and a kid called
out "nice lights." Does that count as "congratulations?" It was
unsolicited praise. These days good lights are so common that no one
would think to praise a cyclists using them.

I guess that I should also point out that besides probably 25% of the
personally owned dyno lighting systems in my city being in my own
garage, my city also probably has the most dyno equipped bicycles per
capita of any city in the United States; this is due to the bicycles
owned by a very large fruit company with its world headquarters in my city.

So, have you stripped your websites of all your previous disparagement
of dyno lighting and its users?

Why would he do that? Dyno lights suck compared to decent LED battery lights except for the fact that you don't have to recharge them. I regard my dyno light as a novelty item or a back-up. But I must say that the dyno was almost acceptable on Monday when riding home on a rare dry night -- on a flattish part of my route. I thought "this is what it must be like for Frank." And then I started up the broken-up goat road and turned on my battery light. https://tinyurl.com/v8mod75 And yes, low tree branches are a thing. https://tinyurl.com/tblfewk

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay I rode last night what I considered in the most challenging weather conditions concerning lights. Dark (of course), overcast, with drizzle and a a bit foggy. The weather condition where the light is scattered before it hits the wet shiny light absorbing black pavement. I put in my contacts instead of my prescription cycling glasses and it is flat here of course. I admit it is not the ideal situation but I still manage with my dynolight. I had to reduce my speed in some places but I still got an average of 27 km/hr over 36 km (10 km shorter than normal). My new gravel bike which I will use for winter evening rides will have through axles and my current dyno wheel is not suited for that, so I did some research and tried some battery lights lately. I did not found any battery light without the need to use a big bottle battery that could satify me. No battery light with the normal 4-5 AA penlights batteries put on as much light on the road after 1.5 hour (!) than my current EdeluxII headlight with my SONdelux dynohub so I decided I will sell my current dynohub wheel and buy one with a dynohub for through axle before the next winter. Bummer. As always YMMV.

Dyno lights are particularly good for fog, actually, because a really bright light just bounces back at you -- same in snow.

On 1/22/2020 2:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

[...]

Lou

My LUXOS B is particularly good in fog because a bright light just bounces back at me -- same in snow, and in snow, a little light on the ground goes a long way. The light is also good enough in no-light or moonlight flat terrain or well lighted city streets. It is terrible in heavy rain or wet roads with point-light pollution like head lights or strong building lights, and it is terrible on trail, broken pavement slow climbs and descending at more than 15mph. My L&M Urban 800 -- a $35 sale table all-in-one -- puts out more light on its lowest setting and far more light on the nominal 800 lumen setting, but battery life is short on maximum output. I use that on my trail segment home which is now over rip-rap (sharp road base rock) from a nearby road project. That segment also goes straight up hill -- next to 65 wide spaced steps up a dirt hillside under a highway off ramp. There is lots of urban trail in Portland. https://tinyurl.com/uvcez5w Count the steps, that trail drops off after the bench and is a dirt wall. The best I've done on that with a 34/28 is about 15 steps before I stall or spin out. It looks so forlorn in winter. It's like a jungle in spring. I like the battery light walking the last 40-50 steps.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 23rd 20, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 1/22/2020 2:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

[...]

In fog I put an amber cover on my battery powered bicycle front light. That stops the bounce back. When it's really cold I put the battery under my jacket and my body heat keeps the battery warm.

Cheers
Old January 23rd 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/22/2020 11:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 7:34:54 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/22/2020 2:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

snip

In 2003 I was riding home from work with my homebrew lighting system
that used two 14 watt 12V sealed beam halogen lamps and a kid called
out "nice lights." Does that count as "congratulations?" It was
unsolicited praise. These days good lights are so common that no one
would think to praise a cyclists using them.

I guess that I should also point out that besides probably 25% of the
personally owned dyno lighting systems in my city being in my own
garage, my city also probably has the most dyno equipped bicycles per
capita of any city in the United States; this is due to the bicycles
owned by a very large fruit company with its world headquarters in my city.

So, have you stripped your websites of all your previous disparagement
of dyno lighting and its users?

Why would he do that?

If a person spends ten years or more implying that dyno users are fools,
ISTM he should say _something_ when he begins using a dyno.

Dyno lights suck compared to decent LED battery lights except for the fact that you don't have to recharge them. I regard my dyno light as a novelty item or a back-up. But I must say that the dyno was almost acceptable on Monday when riding home on a rare dry night -- on a flattish part of my route. I thought "this is what it must be like for Frank." And then I started up the broken-up goat road and turned on my battery light. https://tinyurl.com/v8mod75 And yes, low tree branches are a thing. https://tinyurl.com/tblfewk

But you don't want to trade for a brighter-than-the-sun Oculus??

--
- Frank Krygowski

I already have a battery light -- in fact, three battery lights. I don't need four. And after drilling and tapping my thick-as-a-brick fork crown, I'm going to use the Luxos even if the light sucks -- sort of like a glowing hood ornament. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/30...19a3721acc.jpg

"Some people keep complaining about their lives, but do absolutely
nothing to change their situation". - Frederica Ehimen

Ah Frank, if that is one of your usual put-downs, I have a battery light -- like I said. I have a dyno light and a battery light. Best of both worlds. I used both of them tonight. The hub drag is making me super-strong, too. For the one or two years after getting my no hole in crown fork, I just used my all-in-one battery light -- which was fine, but a few times I forgot to charge and had to make my way home with a blinky. I changed my situation by drilling my crown, tapping it and wiring up the mood light and reliving the same disappointment I experienced years ago. I changed my situation by getting back-up light which is useless as a primary light in many places I ride in my village.

Jay, every time this comes up you tell us how bad your dyno light is.
You've said it's too dim, you've called it a "mood light," you've said
it "sucks," you've talked about it not shining on those dangerous leaves...

ISTM the problem is fixable. If your hub or headlamp are defective,
measurements should show that and we could discuss. (Did we ever get
measurement results?) If your wiring is defective, we should be able to
help you fix that. Maybe there's some other physical or technical
problem with your setup we could discuss.

Or maybe your riding style and night vision mean you're never going to
be happy with even a fairly high end dyno and lamp. If that's the
situation, well, you have a system that I would probably like. I have a
headlight I almost never use, that you would probably like. The solution
is obvious.

One way or other, the problem seems to be fixable.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 23rd 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/23/2020 10:25 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Dyno lights are particularly good for fog, actually, because a really bright light just bounces back at you -- same in snow.

I don't think the problem of light bouncing back to you is because
they're "really bright." The problem is, high beams (or bike lights with
primitive optic design) directed light upward (nearly) in front of your
face. Those are the lumens that reflect off fog and snow to blind you.

Proper, genuine fog lights on motor vehicles have a very strict upward
cutoff for that reason. Bike lights with decent (StVZO) optics are
somewhat similar. If you bought a battery light with either fog light
optics or StVZO optics, I think it would be as good as your dyno light.

My LUXOS B is particularly good in fog because a bright light just bounces back at me -- same in snow, and in snow, a little light on the ground goes a long way. The light is also good enough in no-light or moonlight flat terrain or well lighted city streets. It is terrible in heavy rain or wet roads with point-light pollution like head lights or strong building lights, and it is terrible on trail, broken pavement slow climbs and descending at more than 15mph.

Funny thing. On the night ride I took around town last week, I was over
25mph on at least one downhill with no problem. Probably on two of them.

I wasn't sure of my speed on the one because just as I hit my top speed,
my cap blew off. I braked and pulled over, then went back to fetch it.
It reminded me that I should have worn a cycling cap, instead of a ball
cap with a much larger bill.

My L&M Urban 800 -- a $35 sale table all-in-one -- puts out more light on its lowest setting and far more light on the nominal 800 lumen setting, but battery life is short on maximum output. I use that on my trail segment home which is now over rip-rap (sharp road base rock) from a nearby road project. That segment also goes straight up hill -- next to 65 wide spaced steps up a dirt hillside under a highway off ramp. There is lots of urban trail in Portland. https://tinyurl.com/uvcez5w Count the steps, that trail drops off after the bench and is a dirt wall. The best I've done on that with a 34/28 is about 15 steps before I stall or spin out. It looks so forlorn in winter. It's like a jungle in spring. I like the battery light walking the last 40-50 steps.

I don't recall anyone here ever saying dyno lights were the best for
off-road trail use, riding on rip-rap, absolute zero speed or anything
similar.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 23rd 20, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 10:06:49 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Were you descending Campbell Hill? I found this interesting picture which shows the optional way home instead of the goat road(s) (there are two roads that wind up the hill toward my neighborhood on the second flattest route). https://tinyurl.com/wkopjsq Probably a third mile of stairs and cement ramps. Here is a picture of one of the ramp sections. https://tinyurl.com/uvoznuz
I ride that section -- you have to be quick into your clips. I don't ride down it. Just digressing. Commuting gets so boring if you don't mix it up.

[...]

So what does a dyno user do? Answer: switch on the battery light, which is what I do. Like I said, the whole world is not like your village. I creep up hills, fly down hills, ride trail and generally spend most nights these days on light-sopping wet pavement. But the dyno is pretty good on the flats through the neighborhoods, although it doesn't keep people from trying to squash me -- even when I'm riding position one (because there is only one position on those narrow roads). It makes me long for the punishment flasher on my Seca 1400 (visible from outer space).

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 23rd 20, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 9:10:56 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 1/22/2020 11:40 PM, wrote:

snip

No battery light with the normal 4-5 AA penlights batteries put on as much light on the road after 1.5 hour (!) than my current EdeluxII headlight with my SONdelux dynohub so I decided I will sell my current dynohub wheel and buy one with a dynohub for through axle before the next winter. Bummer.. As always YMMV.

A battery light with 4-5 AA cells is not a "normal" battery powered
light. A Duracell Alkaline AA cell at 1.0A discharge rate is rated at
about 500mAH. You do better with AA NiMH batteries, three Eneloop 2550
mAH batteries in series would give you 2250mAH at 3.6V.

The Oculus light uses a user-replaceable 4500mAH 26650/3.6V battery.

The GACIRON V9D-1800 uses two non-user replaceable 3350mAH 18650
batteries for 6700mAH at 3.6V.

The Lezyne Megadrive 1800i has two non-user replaceable 18650 batteries,
not sure of the capacity (actually you can replace them yourself if
you're willing to solder a connector onto a replacement pack).

All will put out far more elight than your EdeluxII, for a lot longer
than 90 minutes. If you run them on maximum power you'd only get around
1.5 hours, but maximum brightness is only necessary under certain
circumstances.

I must be trying the wrong ones then. I tried the Garmin Varia UT800 from a friend of mine. Because it has a GoPro interface it would be a promising option. After using it for an hour in freezing temperatures the light output was pathetic so I will stay with my dynohub solution and don't have to worry about the batteries run out of power or forgetting to charge them. YMMV.

Lou
Old January 23rd 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/23/2020 3:03 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 10:06:49 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I don't recall anyone here ever saying dyno lights were the best for
off-road trail use, riding on rip-rap, absolute zero speed or anything
similar.

So what does a dyno user do? Answer: switch on the battery light, which is what I do.

Which is fine. But if you bought your dyno system expecting it to be
ideal for those conditions, you were misinformed. If you had described
them in detail beforehand, several people here could have warned you.

As it is, you're complaints sound like Joerg's. It's sad, but a low end
mountain bike will not have tires and chains that last forever, it may
break spokes if it's asked to carry 50 pounds of delicate electronic
equipment over boulder fields while evading mountain lions. Similarly, a
dyno system needs to move at least a few miles per hour to produce
light, and an StVZO light is not designed to shine up into the trees.
Although tilting a headlight upward is not impossible.

Like I said, the whole world is not like your village.

But it's not just my village. I use these lights in the city, in nearby
suburbs, on country roads, on bike paths, and on trips to other cities,
states and occasionally countries.

I creep up hills, fly down hills, ride trail and generally spend most nights these days on light-sopping wet pavement. But the dyno is pretty good on the flats through the neighborhoods, although it doesn't keep people from trying to squash me ...

Again, funny thing. On that same ride last week, I had the right-of-way
on a residential street where an oncoming driver was going to turn left
across my path. I was, oh, three hundred feet from him when he slowed
and put on his turn signal. And he waited. And waited. And waited at
least ten seconds until I was past him before he turned.

Ten seconds is near infinity in "motorist waiting" time. Yet that
experience has not been the least unusual for me.

My dyno lights work so well that I have no need of battery lights,
except to loan to friends whose batteries die. That's why I want to trade.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 24th 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 1/22/2020 2:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

[...]

Has your education fallen to such a low that you're now quoting radio hosts? Tell you what - should I quote Rush Limbaugh or Michael Savage or would you prefer Ben Shapiro who would probably make a marvelous President though people like you do not vote for Jews.

I vote for Sean Hannity. He goes for the jugular, every time. -- AJ

Hitting Goals Tom Kunich[_5_] Techniques 8 November 26th 19 10:49 AM
I need help hitting record again. hungry4uni Unicycling 11 July 25th 08 03:57 AM
hitting bricks TerryJ UK 3 December 20th 07 09:29 PM
UK - Muni head to head race - feeler kington99 Unicycling 37 March 20th 07 02:58 PM
Shit hitting the fan. crit PRO Racing 58 April 6th 05 08:02 AM