Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave doppler radar.

Old January 17th 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Default Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave dopplerradar.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 16:10:01 +0000 (UTC),
David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

:I don't think that mirror blinker has anything to do with your
:being on a bicycle. That is, I don't think it means an
:electronic system has detected you. Many cars have lights in
:their side mirrors that blink in sync with the normal turn
:signals.

My car, and lots of newer cars, have blindspot sensors that
detect something in the 'blindspot' beside and slightly behind
the car. They light up signals on the mirrors. If I turn the
turn signal on, they flash (and there's a beeper, if I try to
change lanes, too). Both the lighting up and flashing are
visible to someone out side the car. I see them come on other
cars, when I ride past them when they're stopped and I'm not.

Yes, my experience is same as David's. The sensors seem pretty
sensitive, and I can easily imagine they would pick up a bike and
rider.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 17th 20, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

:I don't think that mirror blinker has anything to do with your
:being on a bicycle. That is, I don't think it means an
:electronic system has detected you. Many cars have lights in
:their side mirrors that blink in sync with the normal turn
:signals.

My car, and lots of newer cars, have blindspot sensors that
detect something in the 'blindspot' beside and slightly behind
the car. They light up signals on the mirrors. If I turn the
turn signal on, they flash (and there's a beeper, if I try to
change lanes, too). Both the lighting up and flashing are
visible to someone out side the car. I see them come on other
cars, when I ride past them when they're stopped and I'm not.

Yes, my experience is same as David's. The sensors seem pretty
sensitive, and I can easily imagine they would pick up a bike and
rider.

OK, I haven't noticed that yet. I'll watch for it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 17th 20, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/17/2020 8:10 AM, David Scheidt wrote:

snip

My car, and lots of newer cars, have blindspot sensors that detect
something in the 'blindspot' beside and slightly behind the car. They
light up signals on the mirrors. If I turn the turn signal on, they
flash (and there's a beeper, if I try to change lanes, too). Both the
lighting up and flashing are visible to someone out side the car. I
see them come on other cars, when I ride past them when they're
stopped and I'm not.

In the past few weeks I've met with two large cloud service providers
regarding "smart city" deployment of IOT. One big application for "smart
city" is the use of various types of sensors for traffic of all kinds,
trucks, cars, bicycles, and pedestrians. The privacy issue is one of the
biggest hurdles. Radar is less intrusive than cameras but cameras have
advantages. They will be used together.

Inductive loops are not going to be around for many more years.

Old January 17th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:15:14 -0800,
sms wrote:
[...]

The camera usage is amazing. My car shows current speed limit on
the Car Play screen when I have Google mapping in use. It is
occasionally wrong; I'm pretty confident it comes over the phone
from some Google database.

On the other hand, my wife's Volvo shows the current speed limit
on the dashboard. It is always correct; I'm pretty certain the
value comes from a forward facing camera reading the speed limit
signs as they are encountered.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 17th 20, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/17/2020 4:04 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
My car shows current speed limit on
the Car Play screen when I have Google mapping in use. It is
occasionally wrong; I'm pretty confident it comes over the phone
from some Google database.

On the other hand, my wife's Volvo shows the current speed limit
on the dashboard. It is always correct; I'm pretty certain the
value comes from a forward facing camera reading the speed limit
signs as they are encountered.

Can you tell us the year and model of your car, and the year of your
wife's Volvo?

My five year old car has none of that, but it's a pretty low-end model.
It didn't even come with an in-car entertainment screen.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 17th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

sms wrote:
[...]

That's in any event a huge leap forward from when all Volvo had (before any other cars) was a whiny nanny-voice telling you to belt up.

Andre Jute
Nostalgic for the days when all a car was required to do was to track true and go fast, and American cars couldn't even track true but were great anyway
Old January 17th 20, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 16:35:38 -0500,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/17/2020 4:04 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
My car shows current speed limit on the Car Play screen when I
have Google mapping in use. It is occasionally wrong; I'm
pretty confident it comes over the phone from some Google
database.

On the other hand, my wife's Volvo shows the current speed
limit on the dashboard. It is always correct; I'm pretty
certain the value comes from a forward facing camera reading
the speed limit signs as they are encountered.

Can you tell us the year and model of your car, and the year of
your wife's Volvo?

My five year old car has none of that, but it's a pretty
low-end model. It didn't even come with an in-car entertainment
screen.

Fair question. I thought about putting that in, but decided to go
for the quicker post. The Volvo is a 2015 S60 (so 5 years old),
and mine is a 2019 GMC Acadia. I think the ~2012 Equinox I had
before also came with CarPlay capability, but the newer GMC plays
much better with the iPhone.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 17th 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

sms wrote:
[...]

I can totally relate. In addition to all the "safety" features
(like warnings when you cross a lane stripe without signalling, or
follow another vehicle too closely), my last car would lower the
fan speed when I received a call on the system. Called it the
nanny car.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 18th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 21:04:23 +0000, Ted Heise wrote:

The camera usage is amazing. My car shows current speed limit on the
Car Play screen when I have Google mapping in use. It is occasionally
wrong; I'm pretty confident it comes over the phone from some Google
database.

It does. We noticed this years ago when there was a large scale change
throughout the state to expand town/city boundaries and often the garmin
device with its advisory voice was clearly wrong about when the speed
limit had changed.
Old January 18th 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/17/2020 6:07 PM, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 21:04:23 +0000, Ted Heise wrote:

The camera usage is amazing. My car shows current speed limit on the
Car Play screen when I have Google mapping in use. It is occasionally
wrong; I'm pretty confident it comes over the phone from some Google
database.

It does. We noticed this years ago when there was a large scale change
throughout the state to expand town/city boundaries and often the garmin
device with its advisory voice was clearly wrong about when the speed
limit had changed.

Seems it would take only a small step in software to limit the speed to
what the sign showed.

Of course, there would be objections from dedicated speeders...

--
- Frank Krygowski