Greta Himmler & Bicycles

Old January 23rd 20, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Greta Himmler & Bicycles

https://cyclingindustry.news/schwalb...g-at-corebike/

As soon as transport, hand labor and processing are free,
this will be a great idea.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 23rd 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 08:56:20 UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/schwalb...g-at-corebike/

As soon as transport, hand labor and processing are free,
this will be a great idea.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Or use them to make clothing and/or clothing accessories.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fashi...gAsPdsYPcJh5M:

https://thevegancompany.love/meet-th...led-materials/

https://greendiary.com/chic-cycling-...ner-tubes.html

Cheers
Old January 23rd 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

AMuzi wrote:

As soon as transport, hand labor and processing are free,

this
will be a great idea.

You seem to imply that solid waste doesn't require transport, hand labor, or processing unless you recycle it. Landfill trash costs all the above, plus long term commitments of large pieces of land.

My shop separates aluminum, mixed metals, paper and cardboard, tires and tubes, polyethylene plastic bags, and recyclable beverage containers each into their own category for recycling. It doesn't take a significant amount more time than dealing with these things all together as garbage. It only takes more containers.
Old January 23rd 20, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 07:55:51 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/schwalb...g-at-corebike/

As soon as transport, hand labor and processing are free,
this will be a great idea.

Re using "rubber" items has a history... although I don't know how
successful it is. Pulverize tires have been used as an ingredient in
asphalt and I believe that rubber "paver" blocks made from re-cycled
rubber are commercially available.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 23rd 20, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 4:52:35 PM UTC, Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

As soon as transport, hand labor and processing are free,

this
will be a great idea.

You seem to imply that solid waste doesn't require transport, hand labor, or processing unless you recycle it. Landfill trash costs all the above, plus long term commitments of large pieces of land.

My shop separates aluminum, mixed metals, paper and cardboard, tires and tubes, polyethylene plastic bags, and recyclable beverage containers each into their own category for recycling. It doesn't take a significant amount more time than dealing with these things all together as garbage. It only takes more containers.

Duh. How dumb can you get? Six bins for a cycle workshop. Four bins for my household of only three people. I have to wonder where poor people find the space to keep these proliferating bins. Soon the entire surface of the earth will be covered in bins for sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-categories of recycling, none of which is in the slightest necessary. When there are only bins and no space left for people, these "environmental" people-haters will at last be satisfied that they've "saved" the earth.

I thought you had more sense than this, Chalo.

This is almost as stupid as banning DDT, and in the end will kill more of the most defenceless people on earth than banning DDT did: What the creepy environmentalists make us waste on dumb garbage separation could instead take several hundred million people out of famine (a euphemism for the torture of slow death by starvation) and life-long hunger.

Andre Jute
Some people never learn. They call themselves idealists. I call them dim and vicious, a bad combination.
Old January 23rd 20, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/23/2020 4:49 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 07:55:51 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/schwalb...g-at-corebike/

As soon as transport, hand labor and processing are free,
this will be a great idea.

Re using "rubber" items has a history... although I don't know how
successful it is. Pulverize tires have been used as an ingredient in
asphalt and I believe that rubber "paver" blocks made from re-cycled
rubber are commercially available.

Unlike our old area[1], I now drop bicycle tires/tubes into
a pile of motor vehicle tires when I drop cardboard, glass,
aluminum etc.

Even a busy month of bicycle shop rubber weighs less than
one typical tractor/combine tire (of which there are many).

The theory is fine but in practice bicycle shops don't
generate enough mass to make this efficient except where my
labor and truck costs are a 'freebie' input.

[1] all-in-one-bin system (rubber not accepted), the most
inefficient format.

Old January 24th 20, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Until I was laid off at a company I was writing a program that would keep track of every shipping container in the world at that time there were tens of millions and by today I'm sure that there are more than a billion. One of my hang-ups was how to discover when a shipping container was taken out of service for all the reasons they could be. You would think that in stead of building Tiny Homes, they would recondition unsuitable shipping containers into small homes for the homeless. They even stack well.
Old January 24th 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Shipping containers for housing are a thing. Here's one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/113418616310