Dynamo lights impress

Old January 25th 20, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Dynamo lights impress

This is for Jay in particular;

I rode my heavy gravel touring bike from the shed to the house the other
night. It was very dark, a couple of hours after sunset. There's no
light pollution where we live, and the moon wasn't visible.

It is only about 30 metres, and my dynamo powered light illuminated the
ground so well I could see it in excellent detail while travelling at
little more than 10 km/h.

Viva la dynamo!

--
JS
Old January 25th 20, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 5:21:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
This is for Jay in particular;

I rode my heavy gravel touring bike from the shed to the house the other
night. It was very dark, a couple of hours after sunset. There's no
light pollution where we live, and the moon wasn't visible.

It is only about 30 metres, and my dynamo powered light illuminated the
ground so well I could see it in excellent detail while travelling at
little more than 10 km/h.

Viva la dynamo!

--
JS

Yes, but what about the glow from the fires? Use that light to locate the koalas and throw them in your panniers and get them out of danger! https://resize.hswstatic.com/w_907/gif/koalas-1.jpg

What I find mind-boggling is he domestic coverage showing firefighters picking koalas out trees. Are they really that docile? Can you just pick them up? Do they ever get mad?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 25th 20, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 9:20:44 PM UTC-6, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I think koalas are that docile. The only reason they survive is because there aren't many natural predators. The wild dogs, dingoes of Australia live in the middle open area of Australia. Where the sheep graze. Not in the forests where the koalas live. And all the many deadly poisonous snakes of Australia are too small to consider grown koalas as food. So they don't kill all the koalas. Just the babies maybe. Australia really doesn't have that many natural predators. Once you eliminate the poisonous snakes, crocodiles, dingoes. Which don't live where the koalas live. Australia does not have wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars, mountain lions. Or pythons, anacondas. So koalas don't have many natural predators to cause them to be fearful. They only have humans to be fearful of. And humans are really good at killing and exterminating everything they touch.
Old January 25th 20, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 19:20:42 -0800, jbeattie wrote:

Yes, but what about the glow from the fires? Use that light to locate
the koalas and throw them in your panniers and get them out of danger!
https://resize.hswstatic.com/w_907/gif/koalas-1.jpg

What I find mind-boggling is he domestic coverage showing firefighters
picking koalas out trees. Are they really that docile? Can you just
pick them up? Do they ever get mad?

Firstly, they are not a bear and yes they are usually spaced out on
digesting gump leaves which are toxic and they have evolved a digrstiv
tract to deal with it.

Their usual reaction to smoke is to climb higher in the tree and if you
see one on the ground, then it is either moving to another tree or if
sitting still something is probably wrong.

You do not pick them up, unless you are wearing heavy clothing as their
arms and nails are designed to wrap aound tree trucks and dig in to be
able to climb the tree.

So you carry a big bag and wrap them in that before picking them up,
ideally to quickly transfer to a small carry cage. fireies can get away
with picking them up because of their heavy protective coats. If you are
gong to give them water, then it is best to have a small bowl they can
drink from as they can choke if u=yu feed it down their throats.

As to getting mad, they have been known to show excellent judgement and
piddle on politicians

Old January 25th 20, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 22:35:27 -0800, wrote:

I think koalas are that docile. The only reason they survive is because
there aren't many natural predators. The wild dogs, dingoes of
Australia live in the middle open area of Australia. Where the sheep
graze. Not in the forests where the koalas live.

dingoes live in unpopulated areas of the coast as well. there is also a
big problem with dogs hear housing and feral dogs elsewhere as koala as
slow on the ground.

Apparently a major natural predator of koala is an owl and for this
reason they have bee known to move from feed trees to shelter in trees
giving better aerial cover. Around here, the koala trackers include
turpentine trees(Syncarpia glomerifera) when searching for them.

Old January 25th 20, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 6:35:29 AM UTC, wrote:

I think koalas are that docile. The only reason they survive is because there aren't many natural predators. The wild dogs, dingoes of Australia live in the middle open area of Australia. Where the sheep graze. Not in the forests where the koalas live. And all the many deadly poisonous snakes of Australia are too small to consider grown koalas as food. So they don't kill all the koalas. Just the babies maybe. Australia really doesn't have that many natural predators. Once you eliminate the poisonous snakes, crocodiles, dingoes. Which don't live where the koalas live. Australia does not have wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars, mountain lions. Or pythons, anacondas. So koalas don't have many natural predators to cause them to be fearful. They only have humans to be fearful of. And humans are really good at killing and exterminating everything they touch.

Don't think, Russell; look it up. The vast majority of snakes are not "poisonous" as you have it, they're venomous: they inject their victims with their venom. To be "poisonous", a snake has to kill you after it is dead and cooked, when you have eaten it.

Of the ten deadliest snakes in the world, only one, the Philippine cobra, is that very rare thing, a poisonous snake, because it spits it's venom onto you up to ten feet away, without injecting it into you. You'll choke to death in around half hour as the venom causes paralysis inter alia of your breathing mechanism.

Andre Jute
Bizaro-Gems
Old January 27th 20, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/1/20 2:20 pm, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

They can be docile. One day out driving I saw one in the middle of the
road ahead. I stopped maybe 10 metres from it, as it just sat there.
They can bite and scratch, so I encouraged it off the road with a push
from my boot. It wandered off and that was that.

The ones in the fire affected areas are probably close to death from
dehydration and hunger, if they're not burned. They probably don't have
the energy to run away, and overcome their fear of humans and allow
themselves to be handled.

Most Australian animals have not had a boat load of predators to worry
about. Sometimes a dingo, and now cats and dogs. Smaller animals are
obviously threatened by snakes and raptors, but larger animals can
become indifferent to humans.

--
JS

Old January 27th 20, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 2:16:15 AM UTC, James wrote:
[...]

Kangaroos living near towns can be aggressive towards people. On our honeymoon one contested a path along a clifftop with us. We turned around and returned the way we came. I wasn't about to indulge in a bout of kickboxing with an animal that outweighed me. "I'll barbecue you yet, Skippy," I said over my shoulder.

In 1981/2 we were back Down Under for a conference I was chairing, and outside our house in Adelaide lived a green lizard about 18 inches long which determinedly defended its territory between the back door and the pool. I don't suppose it was venomous but a scratch from its claws would probably have required an injection. I picked it up by the scruff of its neck and stared deeply into its eyes -- a procedure which works so well on dogs that my family has a name for it: "Dad Rexified that dog and it doesn't dig up our lawn any more" after an animal called Rex whose owner accused me of stopping his valuable dog from breeding -- but the lizard was making no connection with my personality and continued to be a nuisance.

Andre Jute
I talk to the trees -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8YubD01sk
Old January 27th 20, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 13:16:03 +1100, James wrote:

[...]

It is the feral cats that have had a mjor impact. It was fashionable to
blame it all on foxes until in the 80's, the last independently livving
aboriginal group came in from the "desert". In a doco, the matriach was
asked what they lived on when all the small animals disappeared. "Cat"
was the answer. the concensus was that cats could not survive out there,
bt she took the interviwer, etc out to the area and showed them how they
ran down cats and cooked them.

become indifferent to humans.

Dynamo Lights viz Battery Lights in snow qand slush? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 6 March 4th 15 11:36 PM
Tail Lights with 180 Degree Visibility that mount to the rack mountlike dynamo tail lights? sms Techniques 16 November 4th 14 06:29 PM
dynamo lights with switches and bottle dynamo/generators Keiron[_4_] Techniques 12 September 18th 09 10:30 AM
Dynamo lights EuanB Australia 6 June 23rd 05 09:59 AM
Hub Dynamo Lights? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 September 23rd 03 12:16 AM