SWB vs LWB for suburban commuting

Old August 4th 05, 06:01 PM
Ant

Default SWB vs LWB for suburban commuting

I have been doing some research on picking up a bent for an occasional
18km commute plus some weekend riding.

I was originally looking at a Sun Sport or Maxarya RAY as you aren't
leaning back as much as something like the Bacchetta Giro or Rans
Rocket. Some people seem to swear by the Rans as a good starter bent.

Is it just a matter of personal preference? or does the SWB have any
other advantages?

Old August 4th 05, 06:29 PM
Jeff Grippe

I think that LWB tends to have a smoother ride. For a commuting bike that
you're not planning to spend hours at a time on, however, it may not be much
of a consideration.

My Infinity LWB which was not suspended had a much more comfortable ride
than the Trek SWB which was suspended. The Trek had a better (Rans) seat but
the Infinity was still more comfortable to ride.

It would be best if you could go someplace and do test rides. An SWB is
likely to be easier to park in an ordinary bike rack.

Good luck.

oups.com...

Old August 4th 05, 07:30 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Ant" wrote
I have been doing some research on picking up a bent for an occasional
18km commute plus some weekend riding.

"Jeff Grippe" wrote

An SWB is likely to be easier to park in an ordinary bike rack.

Or fit in the back of a car... Transporting and storing
a LWB recumbent does take certain accommodations.

The learning curve for a SWB may be longer for some
people than say a low bottom bracket CLWB. And
ride height is an issue for some people, if riding in
traffic.

For a commuter bike, some cargo carrying may
be needed, -- rear rack trunk, over-the-seat bag,
handlebar bag, panniers, etc.. The choice of bike
may make some cargo options easier...

Also, if for more than just fair-weather use, a
bike capable of fender and wider tires mounting
should be considered.

Test ride as many as different types as possible.
Buy one of each, or more... %^)

Jon Meinecke

Old August 4th 05, 07:41 PM
Dan B.

Ant wrote:
I have been doing some research on picking up a bent for an occasional
18km commute plus some weekend riding.

I was originally looking at a Sun Sport or Maxarya RAY as you aren't
leaning back as much as something like the Bacchetta Giro or Rans
Rocket. Some people seem to swear by the Rans as a good starter bent.

Is it just a matter of personal preference? or does the SWB have any
other advantages?

Although not a huge disadvantage, the wider turning radius of an LWB
can pose occasional challenges, depending on your route.

In Pittsburgh at least, there are several "bike-friendly" routes that
include sudden 90-degree turns off paths onto streets; I've found that
my LWB can do it, but a SWB with a narrower turning radius is a lot
less nerve-wracking to maneuver into traffic.

Whichever avenue you pursue, you may also wish to evaluate how well
lighting systems can be added to the vehicle...commuting in poor
lighting conditions seems to be safer and more pleasant with a good
high-powered headlight and taillight set.

Best,

Dan

Old August 4th 05, 09:28 PM
Ant

Is the "ActionBent" any good? Seems a lot cheaper than comparible SWB.

http://www.actionbent.com/JSAS.html

Old August 4th 05, 09:36 PM
Jeff Grippe

I don't know.

The BentRider Online review is pretty good, however.

http://www.markschulmanproductions.c...exBROJSASS.htm

oups.com...

Old August 5th 05, 06:00 AM
calculus

SWB all the way!
Old August 9th 05, 09:24 AM
guynoir

My SWB Vision R-40 fits on a bus bike rack.

"Ant" wrote

--
John Kimmel

Naturally, these humorous remarks are all entirely my own opinion, based
solely
on rumor, supposition, innuendo and damned lies, and should be
interpreted in a
spirit of fun. My memory is faulty, also.

Old August 11th 05, 06:06 AM
What Me Worry?

"Ant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is the "ActionBent" any good? Seems a lot cheaper than comparible SWB.

http://www.actionbent.com/JSAS.html

Consensus among owners seems to be that ActionBents are great bikes. The
only complaints seem to involve missing parts and shipping damage (which
could happen to any bike/trike). I don't own an ActionBent; but I am a
member of the ActionBent group on Yahoo, by far the best source for
real-world info on these inexpensive recumbents.

Because I prefer light bikes and trikes, I own a Rans Rocket and a Catrike
Speed; but since I love underseat steering (USS) and lack the $$$ for
another expensive bike, I'm on the lookout for a used ActionBent JetStream
USS, which looks to be a bona fide bargain, and which received quite a good
review on BROL.

FWIW: Larry Varney's much-anticipated review of the new price leader in the
tadpole market - the ActionBent tadpole trike - is out. Larry gives the AB
tadpole a big thumbs-up. Sounds like a helluva nice trike for $1295.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/revie.../abtadpole.htm

Old August 11th 05, 09:02 AM
Slugger

In article .com, Ant
wrote:

I have been doing some research on picking up a bent for an occasional
18km commute plus some weekend riding.

I was originally looking at a Sun Sport or Maxarya RAY as you aren't
leaning back as much as something like the Bacchetta Giro or Rans
Rocket. Some people seem to swear by the Rans as a good starter bent.

Is it just a matter of personal preference? or does the SWB have any
other advantages?

I can vouche for the EZ-Sport.
Its a hell of a bike. The thing doesn't stop rolling. But if you want
to be a celeb' at ARBR get the new Rans Stratus XP.

http://www.ransbikes.com/StratusXP.htm

Its about 12 lbs lighter than my EZ-Sport. You mentioned ActionBent
however so I'll assume you are on a budget. If that is the case you
might also consider a Cycle Genius.

http://www.cyclegenius.com/models05.htm

They have some nice bikes there that are reasonably priced.

As the last poster said "SWB all the way!"

I feel the same way about LWB. I wonder just how divided this group is
in terms of LWB vs SWB.

Q - Eating breakfast before commuting RL General 38 April 11th 04 11:46 PM
Muni commuting onewheeldave Unicycling 10 December 24th 03 05:02 PM
Commuting by Bicycle John General 0 December 9th 03 08:23 PM
Commuting Report: Week 1 Jeff Williams General 20 October 9th 03 09:04 PM