Bike shops, rules, principles and law

Old January 23rd 21, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bike shops, rules, principles and law

On 1/23/2021 7:51 AM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 22:06:57 +0100,
Sepp Ruf wrote:
Ted Heise wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 11:02:53 AM UTC-8, Ted Heise wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:

I used to pass tomato farms on my way to see my sister in
central Indiana. I rather suspect that they are clustered
around the Red Gold cannery not too far east and south of
her place.

Interesting story, Joy. As it happens, my wife and
encountered a couple large fields of tomatos out on a tandem
ride in Tippecanoe county this past summer. I had not seen
anything like that around here before in many tens of
thousands miles ridden. Before we were close enough to see
what was being grown, I was thinking, "What in the world is
that smell?" Very familiar, but I couldn't place it. Weird.

An oil refinery plus a bit of thyme spice?

You can do the same thing with the strawberry fields in
Watsonville, Ca. It's like riding through a jar of jam. I
get the same jam-jar experience riding through blackberry
fields here in Oregon.

There are some fragrant crops out there.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...g?v=1533238954

Hood River Valley is like a smell-a-thon with the lavender
and fruit trees. Take the train!
https://www.mthoodrr.com/train-rides...ossom-special/

One thing I miss about California is the smell of bay trees
and eucalyptus. Fir and ferns don't have much of a smell.
The only thing I remember about riding through vast acres of
corn in Kansas were the bird-sized grasshopper/locust. No
memorable smell, but maybe on a warm day is smells like
corn.

Yeah, Indiana is much like Kansas in terms of crop variety.
You do get a little sweetish scent when the corn is
pollinating. Other than that, pretty unremarkable.

Now that you mention it ... before Midwestern corn farming
became a chemical industry, were the harvested fields burnt as
they liked to do in Europe?

Not that I've ever seen, going back as far as I've been alive
(born 1955).

Nor I. When I was a child, parks were burned (ISTR weed
control?) but never farmed fields.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 23rd 21, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:23:51 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

A proper tomato would splat when dropped from a much smaller height.

I just drop tested a Roma tomato.
https://www.google.com/search?q=roma+tomato&tbm=isch
At about 3ft high off my vinyl kitchen floor, it sorta bounced a
little. No damage or dents. I then dropped it 4 times from about 6ft
(by holding it over my head). The first 3 hits just bounced a tiny
amount and rolled. However, on the 4th hit, the tomato landed on the
blossom end (opposite the vine end) and split slightly open. Only the
outer wall split and none of the contents gushed out. I then cleaned
the tomato and added it to my salad lunch.

My guess(tm) is that a Roma tomato can probably survive falling off a
truck without splitting open or going splat mostly because it has a
rather thick and dense pulp.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 24th 21, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 14:33:52 -0800, Jeff Liebermann scribed:

wrote:

A proper tomato would splat when dropped from a much smaller height.

I just drop tested a Roma tomato.
https://www.google.com/search?q=roma+tomato&tbm=isch
At about 3ft high off my vinyl kitchen floor, it sorta bounced a little.
No damage or dents. I then dropped it 4 times from about 6ft (by
holding it over my head). The first 3 hits just bounced a tiny amount
and rolled. However, on the 4th hit, the tomato landed on the blossom
end (opposite the vine end) and split slightly open. Only the outer
wall split and none of the contents gushed out. I then cleaned the
tomato and added it to my salad lunch.

My guess(tm) is that a Roma tomato can probably survive falling off a
truck without splitting open or going splat mostly because it has a
rather thick and dense pulp.

Your ongoing torture of a tomato just confirms my understanding of modern
produce production. For many decades, the emphasis has been on breeding/
selecting/producing produce that can be be handled entirly by industrial
processes.

We find that a lot of produce on the shelves is inedible or tasteless and
we have to be very selective on what we buy. Shades of always running
vegetable garden perhaps and favouring 'heritage seeds'.

Old January 24th 21, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

wrote:

Now that you mention it ... before Midwestern corn farming became a chemical
industry, were the harvested fields burnt as they liked to do in Europe?

The fields had fences around them, and after harvest Dad would let the
hogs clean them up.

He did burn the fence rows to keep them from turning into hedge rows.
My younger sister and I wear deployed with scoop shovels to keep the
fire from spreading into the field.

My older sister once noticed a neighbor burning a field when the wind
was blowing toward her woods and called the fire department on him. I
don't recall any other incident of using fire to clean up a field.

My cousin baled the straw after growing winter wheat to get it off the
field in time to plant beans.

When there were cane fields in Hawaii, they burned them *before*
harvest. I saw the fires, but don't remember seeing how the cane was
cut.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
Old January 24th 21, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

wrote:

My guess(tm) is that a Roma tomato can probably survive falling off a
truck without splitting open or going splat mostly because it has a
rather thick and dense pulp.

I suspect that the tomatoes in the trucks have Roma ancestors. Romas
are delicious, and required for good paste or sauce, but all the
"tomato juice" I've bought in the last few decades has been a thick
puree.

Good for cooking, but don't try to drink it. And if you try an
old-time recipe that was created using home-canned heirloom tomatoes,
dilute it with chicken broth.

--
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/
Old January 24th 21, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I've read that a lot of our food today is a fair bit less nutritious than food was in the 1960 , wheat being among those.

Cheers
Old January 24th 21, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 21:53:36 -0500, Joy Beeson scribed:

wrote:

[...]

Depending on your age, probably by hand.
The reason for burning was to eradicate the vermin before the cane
cutters went in.
Nowadays it is all probably mechanical, with no burning from planting to
harvest, crushing and later fermentatin of the bagasse(?) for alcohol
production.

Old January 24th 21, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

In Indonesia, and perhaps in other countries, mature sugar cane fields
are burned before harvesting. This burns off all the leaves and leaves
only the stocks which apparently aren't harmed by the fire. It also
gets rid of snakes and other venomous creatures.

I was once working at an oil processing station roughly in the center
of a measured square mile of sugar cane when they fired it. It is a
rather awe inspiring sight to see a square mile around you go up in
flame. Rather terrifying in fact :-(
..
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 24th 21, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I found reference to a study published in December 2004 in the Journal
of the American College of Nutrition which found “reliable declines”
in the amount of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin
(vitamin B2) and vitamin C over the past half century."
Another study, Kushi Institute analysis of nutrient data from 1975 to
1997 found that average calcium levels in 12 fresh vegetables dropped
27 percent; iron levels 37 percent; vitamin A levels 21 percent, and
vitamin C levels 30 percent.

The cause is thought to be due to: "the preponderance of agricultural
practices designed to improve traits (size, growth rate, pest
resistance) other than nutrition. “Efforts to breed new varieties of
crops that provide greater yield, pest resistance and climate
adaptability have allowed crops to grow bigger and more rapidly,”

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 24th 21, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 21:53:36 -0500, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 22:06:57 +0100, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Now that you mention it ... before Midwestern corn farming became a chemical
industry, were the harvested fields burnt as they liked to do in Europe?

The fields had fences around them, and after harvest Dad would let the
hogs clean them up.

After an hour of frozen winter cycling and smelling virtually nothing except
occasional exhaust fumes, even hog scent can be a welcome change.

He did burn the fence rows to keep them from turning into hedge rows.
My younger sister and I were deployed with scoop shovels to keep the
fire from spreading into the field.

Saved fertilizer purchases, entertained the hogs, improved the soil, tought
the young to respect fire. These days, someone would record it on their
mobile phone while driving by and alert all sorts of protective government
bureaucrats.

My older sister once noticed a neighbor burning a field when the wind
was blowing toward her woods and called the fire department on him. I
don't recall any other incident of using fire to clean up a field.

My cousin baled the straw after growing winter wheat to get it off the
field in time to plant beans.

Thank you, Joy. I did a little online search now, and it seems like, while
the straw was valuable before advanced mechanization and strawless stables,
some Eurasian peasants then specialized and got rid of lifestock. Mineral
fertilizer seemed good enough to keep the soil fertile, regionally dried-out
soils could hardly be ploughed with small machinery, and the market for
bales was not worth the trouble.

When there were cane fields in Hawaii, they burned them *before*
harvest. I saw the fires, but don't remember seeing how the cane was
cut.

In Indonesia, and perhaps in other countries, mature sugar cane fields
are burned before harvesting. This burns off all the leaves and leaves
only the stocks which apparently aren't harmed by the fire. It also
gets rid of snakes and other venomous creatures.

In TH, as of 2012, they were still burning harvested rice fields in some
regions, but e.g., in Khon-Kaen area, dairy farmers paid 28 baht per 50
pound bale of straw, a longish thread in an expat forum mentions (in German).
http://forum.thailandtip.info/index.php?&topic=12753.0

I was once working at an oil processing station roughly in the center
of a measured square mile of sugar cane when they fired it. It is a
rather awe inspiring sight to see a square mile around you go up in
flame. Rather terrifying in fact :-(

Trust the local farmers, they have been there way longer than you, and
without flying doctors, must have evolved to know what they're doing!
Often.
Okay, at least mostly.
Well, yes, not everyone, the others migrated to the cities.
So now, some might now be baking carbon parts or even building your city's
next Protected Bike Lane.
https://bangkokherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Nakhon-Ratchasima-Ring-Road-Collapse-Workers-Hurt-2.jpg