How little inventory is out there

Old November 29th 20, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default How little inventory is out there

I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?
Old November 29th 20, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 29 november 2020 om 08:18:41 UTC+1 schreef Ralph Barone:
I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?

Are they out of stock or just not for sale?

Lou
Old November 29th 20, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op zondag 29 november 2020 om 08:18:41 UTC+1 schreef Ralph Barone:
I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?

Are they out of stock or just not for sale?

Lou

I had ordered a Tacx Flux 2 from my LBS. After a long wait the told me
there were none coming. I started looking around. Nothing local. Tried
to buy one online from Garmin but wasn’t able to. Contacted Garmin. They
said out of stock until February and advised that I look around for someone
that had some left in stock.

I found one from a place in FLA by a shop listed on eBay. I can’t wait to
get the duty tax bill.

I can’t believe Garmin didn’t see the market opportunity.

Old November 29th 20, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/29/2020 1:18 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?

Yes. They are affected by the same shortages which emptied
bicycle stores of bicycles in April.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 29th 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zondag 29 november 2020 om 15:50:24 UTC+1 schreef Duane:
Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

I looked at my favorite webshops. Wahoo and Tacx smart trainers are all out of stock until mid december-januari. I almost feel guilty to not have used my Tacx Neo2 for over a year. I was preparing to set up an online environment on my porch in April but we were allowed to ride outside thank god.

Lou
Old November 29th 20, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

I unfortunately sold my Vortex when the LBS told me they’d have some Flux 2
in any day now. I don’t really have the option of riding outside between
December and April. I don’t like snow, ice, salt and slush anymore.

Old November 29th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 11:18:41 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?

Western Bikeworks in PDX has some Tacx trainers. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...-drive-trainer Spendy. Bike Gallery has some trainers. https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...r-366464-1.htm River City, too: https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pr...iner-18176.htm They certainly don't have the usual selection, and one of the big local shops, Universal, is pretty picked-over. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=458

There were and are supply chain issues, but it seems like the demand planners really fell on their faces, too. Specialized way underestimated he demand and is now looking at Spring before many of its bike will be available again. The tariffs caused problems, too, as domestic companies had to shift manufacturing from China to Vietnam, Myanmar, etc. There were already supply disruptions for some products even before COVID.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 29th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/29/2020 10:55 AM, jbeattie wrote:

There were and are supply chain issues, but it seems like the demand planners really fell on their faces, too.

I'm not sure we can fault them. Bike sales suddenly jumped something
like 75% over the previous year. Even if a bike company had all the
necessary stock on hand - which would be impossible - it would be very
tough to ramp up production by such a large amount.

"Just in time" inventory control can normally save companies very
significant money. But it makes it much harder to respond to this
once-in-a-career surge.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 29th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op zondag 29 november 2020 om 08:18:41 UTC+1 schreef Ralph Barone:
I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?

Are they out of stock or just not for sale?

Lou

Hard to tell. Practically speaking, is there a difference?

Old November 29th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 11/29/2020 1:18 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
I decided today that I would probably have a bit of leftover money at the
year end, so maybe I’d buy myself one of those newfangled smart trainers to
replace my ancient Minoura mag trainer. Looking online, I can’t find
anything for sale in my area. I knew that cycling has had a popularity boom
and that there have been supply chain issues, but is it that bad everywhere
else?

Yes. They are affected by the same shortages which emptied
bicycle stores of bicycles in April.

This has been the story of my life the last few months. I finally decide
that I’m going to buy a big ticket item, only to discover that it is out of
stock. Frustrating...

RTL Inventory CoreTechs Unicycling 6 January 23rd 08 11:41 PM
AD:END OF YEAR INVENTORY SALE CONTINUES Tri-Specialties Marketplace 0 January 8th 08 05:34 PM
Inventory blowout sale [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 1st 05 05:57 AM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM