Urban traffic regulation

Old November 30th 20, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Urban traffic regulation

Words fail

https://cyclingindustry.news/met-pol...tric-scooters/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 30th 20, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 30.11.2020 um 14:29 schrieb AMuzi:
Words fail

https://cyclingindustry.news/met-pol...tric-scooters/

In what sense do words fail?
That the "Cycling industry" is responsible for selling e-Scooters?
That the use of e-scooters without insurance is illegal on the road?
That the use of E-scooters not conforming to safetry regulations is illegal?
That London has been significantly slower than other cities in the UK in
setting up an experimetnal rental scheme?

Kind regards,

Rolf
Old November 30th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/30/2020 8:15 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 30.11.2020 um 14:29 schrieb AMuzi:
Words fail

https://cyclingindustry.news/met-pol...tric-scooters/

In what sense do words fail?
That the "Cycling industry" is responsible for selling
e-Scooters?
That the use of e-scooters without insurance is illegal on
the road?
That the use of E-scooters not conforming to safetry
regulations is illegal?
That London has been significantly slower than other cities
in the UK in setting up an experimetnal rental scheme?

Kind regards,

Rolf

Being an avid reader of local daily news in several large
cities, I was impressed that your average drunken tourist
who hasn't ever ridden one before and knows neither the
neighborhood nor local traffic patterns is perfectly legal
but the guy who plunks down his own money for his own
machine is banned.

Old November 30th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:29:56 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
Words fail

https://cyclingindustry.news/met-pol...tric-scooters/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

This is par for the course. The police have so intimidated retailers of electric bikes that some of them won't sell you the programmable controller or even the thumb throttle. In fact, they go out of their way, committing labour to deliberately crippling the bike. (Any reader who wants to convert a bike to electricity, write to me first and I'll send you privately the details of a dealer who doesn't partake of this stupid hostility to paying customers.)

The British police are totally out of control, running around giving woke warnings to people who have broken no laws. It's so bad that Mark Steyn has a British Woke ****** Copper of the Day award. Of the day! It used to be that one over-the-edge British copper was a disgrace mentioned in Parliament. Now it's a daily occurrence, with a choice of outrages every day.

-- AJ
Old November 30th 20, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 7:54:01 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Ooooh. Mean woke police. The City is running a pilot program to figure out whether to allow e-scooters -- which it shouldn't. It can collect data, maintain insurance, etc., etc. That's what pilot programs are for. If it determines that e-scooters are O.K. zig-zagging around the double-deckers, dodging bikes and mopeds, then it can allow the use of privately owned e-scooters on public roads. I see no harm in running a pilot program before allowing every idiot and his brother to buy an e-scooter and fly around London. I also see no legal/ethical/moral problem limiting use to rental e-scooters since it limits the number in use, which should be zero. I'm sure the legislature will hit some middle ground for use of privately owned e-scooters on public roads outside dense population areas.

As for e-bikes, if you want a motor, then get a license and registration -- or accept the motor you can get without a license or registration. . E-bikes qua electric motorcycles are a scourge to ordinary flesh-powered cyclists. When you're producing more power/speed than a 50cc engine, you shouldn't be acting like a bicyclist.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 30th 20, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_6_]

On 30/11/2020 19:14, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Errm...isn't that what bicycles are for?

Old November 30th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 7:39:20 PM UTC, Tosspot wrote:
On 30/11/2020 19:14, jbeattie wrote:

When you're producing more
power/speed than a 50cc engine, you shouldn't be acting like a
bicyclist.

..
Damn right too. Miserable 10/10 points for running over a pregnant geriatric nun on your bike is unfair to cyclists, who should get at least a bonus 11/10 or even 12/10. I mean, do you know how few 80-year-old pregnant nuns there are? Jerks on electric scooters shouldn't get more than 5/10 no matter who they run over. Well, maybe we can make an exception and give them 8/10 for running into a soccer mom's SUV full of obnoxious brats hard enough to knock themselves out and cause at least three grand's worth of damage.

Andre Jute
Regulator of the Futurama.