About to get a fairing...are you happy with yours?

Old November 8th 05, 01:20 AM
Pat

Default About to get a fairing...are you happy with yours?

Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.

Pat

Old November 8th 05, 03:25 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Pat wrote:
Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.

The front fairing [1] will make the bicycle more crosswind sensitive
[2], but this can be corrected with the use of a bodysock [3]. Although
this is counterintuitive, it has been confirmed by riders of LWB bikes
with bodysock (SWB bikes may be a different matter).

You should not listen to the advice of people who live in Florida and
have never ridden a LWB recumbent with a bodysock, but insist their
intuition is more valid than real world experience.

The bodysock will also work as a steering damper and will quite the
fairing somewhat (but the bike will be noisier than when completely
unfaired).

[1] The ones sold by Mueller Human Power [4] and ZZip Designs [5] are
NOT full fairings. A full fairing bike is also known as a streamliner.
[6]
[2] However, with a strong wind from the rear quarter, you can "sail"
along in the mid-teens (mph) without pedaling (on flat ground).
[3] Example at http://www.mueller-hp.com/v2sock/sidewithrider6.jpg.
[4] http://www.mueller-hp.com/.
[5] http://www.zzipper.com/.
[6] Some examples at
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2004/pictures.htm.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - G. Daniels

Old November 8th 05, 03:51 AM

Pat,

There are three good reasons to get a fairing.
1. If it's windy get a fairing!
2. If it's cold get a fairing!
3. If you want to go as fast as possible get a fairing!

Over the years I have aquired four fairings; one new, one almost new,
one used, and one well used. Except for the new fairing the rest were
purchased quite cheap.

It's not that windy here and I could care less about maximum speed, so
I use the fairing because it's cold. I also have two bodysocks that I
have purchased used. Along with the fairing, the bodysock keeps me
toasty in the Minnesota winters. I commute 7.4 miles each way.
However, when the temps get below 10 degrees I wimp out and drive my
CRV.

If it's windy where you live, you definately will benefit from a
fairing!

Enjoy,

Perry Butler

Old November 8th 05, 04:06 AM

Don't know what happened to the link but I'll try to post it once
again:
http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=66cef3dff18155636a63aff89703eb5c& threadid=1815

Enjoy,

Perry B

If you want a really quiet fairing check out this thread:

Old November 8th 05, 07:22 PM
rBOB

I have a CLWB and I love the Zzipper fairing. It's great in a head wind
and pretty good in a tail wind (like a sail). It helps some in the cold
but is not especially hot in the summer. I don't notice any negative
handling effects from cross winds.

Happy Birthday JC! Unirene Unicycling 30 July 14th 05 11:49 AM
Happy happy happy brucianna General 0 June 8th 05 09:22 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABSENT HUSBAND Tamyka Bell Australia 8 June 6th 05 02:07 AM
FS: Kevlar fairing for Rotator Pursuit Bill Wiley Recumbent Biking 0 August 21st 04 03:52 PM
New carbon fairing for GRR-type LWB Nathan Congdon Recumbent Biking 24 August 12th 03 12:05 PM