Chain Line

Old June 19th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain Line

On 6/18/2017 12:43 PM, Joerg wrote:
When a
cassette is shot then it's mostly shot on nearly all cogs (in the normal
direction).

I find that large cogs last almost forever. The ones that wear fastest
for me are my favorite higher gears, like 16 and smaller teeth.

Our folding bikes have special Shimano cassettes that go down to 9
teeth, to make up for the small wheels. I try to use the big chainring
as much as possible, to stay off those tiny cogs.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-18 18:00, John B. Alocomb wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 09:43:58 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-17 22:50, John B. Alocomb wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 11:22:54 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-16 17:19, John B. Alocomb wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 11:09:45 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2017-06-15 18:11, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 06:28:39 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-14 19:08, James wrote:

[...]

Good luck.

Not needed. I received the new BB a while ago, installed it and all is
well. Cost me all of $20.

I don't understand this continual complaining about prices. Here you
brag that you only spent $20 and in another post you said, "If I can
find decently priced cassette", and yet when I suggest that you go
into the bike carrier business as you claimed that everyone wanted a
rack like you made you said about you already had plenty of money.

No. Repeating it for the umpteenth time, my business is in _electronics_
and in particular the design of those. Yes, I am gradually retiring but
never 100% because then the sky falls for me, I need some tech-sizzle.

I have no problem spending $50 on a cassette. I do have a problem
spending $150 on a cassette because I consider that wasteful and
unnecessary. Just like I would not spend $150 on a tire for my car
(which lasts me north of 70k miles).

You'll never guess which chain lube makes your cassettes last longest. :-)

One can only gaze in awe at a country where one pays $150 for a
cassette.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-M9.../dp/B003YPB4N0

What do these cost in Thailand?

I'm sort of house bound at the moment as I just had a cataract removed
from one eye and I can't see very well but in a week or so I'll be out
and about and can get a price for you.

I hope you can see well and ride again soon. Probably prices are more
favorable in Thailand but I know people who routinely spend north of
$150 on a cassette. I'd never do that.

Well, my LBS in Bangkok tells me that they sell a number of $3,000
bikes every month and that a CF bike is easier to sell then an
aluminum bike so maybe expensive cassettes are also sold. But as soon
as I can see again I'll find out for you. ...

But get well first. From what I heard cataract surgery needs a lot of
rest afterwards.

... By the way, wasn't the high
priced cassette a 10 speed cassette and I thought you were into low
count gear systems..

IIRC 11-speed. Yes, I like lower gear count but this was about my
comment "I have no problem spending $50 on a cassette. I do have a
problem spending $150 on a cassette because I consider that wasteful and
unnecessary".

One advantage (though not the main one) of a lower gear count is lower cost.

Here is a 9-speed cassette for $351:

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-G999-11-.../dp/B003L7EPKA

A 7-speed cassette for $290:

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-XG-795-S.../dp/B00JROJ1V4

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 19th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2017-06-14 19:08, James wrote:

[...]

[...]

I have a SRAM Force 11 speed and use an 11-28T. I just paid the LBS 130
Canadian bucks to replace it, labor included.

The most expensive price I could find was $124CA

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-4...FVmewAodD_kDQw

I'm assuming your prices are in US dollars so WTF is so special about
MTB cassettes?
Old June 19th 17, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 12:09:46 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 19/06/2017 11:53 AM, Joerg wrote:

Snipped
One advantage (though not the main one) of a lower gear count is lower
cost.

Here is a 9-speed cassette for $351:

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-G999-11-.../dp/B003L7EPKA

A 7-speed cassette for $290:

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-XG-795-S.../dp/B00JROJ1V4

[...]

I have a SRAM Force 11 speed and use an 11-28T. I just paid the LBS 130
Canadian bucks to replace it, labor included.

The most expensive price I could find was $124CA

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5039-4...FVmewAodD_kDQw

I'm assuming your prices are in US dollars so WTF is so special about
MTB cassettes?

It's Joerg. "nuff said.

Nothing works off the shelf for him and he'll search for the most expensive items online to try and make a point.

Cheers
Old June 19th 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-18 18:00, John B. Alocomb wrote:

[...]

[...]

I don't know. Just saying that there are some people who are paying
three-digit Dollars for the cassette itself, sans installation.

MTB cassette do need a very large cog on the left, much larger than road
cassette. A 36T cog is considered a minimum these days.

Old June 19th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-18 18:02, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/18/2017 12:43 PM, Joerg wrote:
When a cassette is shot then it's mostly shot on nearly all cogs (in
the normal direction).

I find that large cogs last almost forever. The ones that wear fastest
for me are my favorite higher gears, like 16 and smaller teeth.

That's because you ride different turf. About half my yearly miles are
on dirt and there are a lot of sections where you have to muscle up
steep hills. The 36T cog is usually quite worn on MTB cassettes around
here. Unfortunately that and the next 2-3 cogs can't easily be turned
around because they are riveted or welded to a spider structure. At
least that would be a major effort compared to the smaller cogs where
you just have to grind off part of the wide spline and then tolerate
sluggish downshifts.

On the road bike it is similar. I use that bike to ride into the valley
and on the way back I must wrestle it back up the hills, often with
cargo from errand runs. So I am on the 32T cog a lot and it wears.

Our folding bikes have special Shimano cassettes that go down to 9
teeth, to make up for the small wheels. I try to use the big chainring
as much as possible, to stay off those tiny cogs.

It would probably make sense to find a source for those 9T cogs. Maybe
on the BMX market?

People like me have similar problems on MTB that are used in part on
roads. Since the largest chain ring is typically 42 or 44 the rear will
be on the smallest cog a lot while on roads because else things upfront
"redline" to far.

Old June 19th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 8:53:55 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

But get well first. From what I heard cataract surgery needs a lot of
rest afterwards.

Cataract surgery is the most common form of surgery in the world. Recovery in the normal case is about two weeks and perhaps another month to get used to the major change in vision.
Old June 19th 17, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-14 19:08, James wrote:

[...]

[...]

More and more people are buying things on-line. This really messes up the bike shops and they have to charge enormous prices for normal things just to pay the rent.
Old June 19th 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-18 18:00, John B. Alocomb wrote:

[...]

[...]

And a 36 tooth compact chainring will run you around $50 on Ebay so looking at a $124 XTR cassette is hardly surprising.
Old June 19th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-14 19:08, James wrote:

[...]

[...]

I've met people who even bought cassettes north of $150 online. In a
bike shop they might have cost more.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

triple chain line question Reid Priedhorsky Techniques 6 May 22nd 07 07:19 AM
The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets? Iván C. Filpo Techniques 4 July 20th 06 04:44 PM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM
chain line problem Joel Techniques 14 March 8th 05 03:32 AM
Chain Line Graham Techniques 16 October 2nd 04 08:36 AM