Chain Line

Old September 30th 04, 06:47 PM
Graham

Default Chain Line

Maybe a dumb question, but how do I know if I have the correct chain-line on a singlespeed bike.

Graham
Old September 30th 04, 07:11 PM
Bert L.am

"Graham" schreef in bericht
Maybe a dumb question, but how do I know if I have the correct chain-line
on a singlespeed bike.

Graham

;-))))))))

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Old September 30th 04, 08:04 PM
Sheldon Brown

Graham wrote:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do I know if I have the correct
chain-line on a singlespeed bike.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline

Sheldon "Straight Ahead" Brown
| People who go broke in a big way never miss any meals. |
| It is the poor jerk who is shy half a slug |
| who must tighten his belt. --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 30th 04, 11:00 PM
Tesla*

Graham Wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but how do I know if I have the correc
chain-line on a singlespeed bike

Graham

The chain stays on and doesn't rub anything but the cogs

--
Tesla*

Old October 1st 04, 12:15 AM
Andre

I'm pretty sure sheldon has this on the site, but basically, you position yourself behind the bike. Sight down the chain line, trying to centre the chainring in your line of sight . The chain should track directly back to the cog from the ring. Also, when backpedalling and pedalling, there should be no noise.
As insurance, I like to mount two old "guard" cogs on either side of the drive cog, to discourage the chain from unshipping. This is due to the lack of an overpriced chain tensioner, and vertical dropouts.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois

Old October 1st 04, 05:56 AM
Dan Daniel

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:47:26 +0000 (UTC), "Graham"
wrote:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do I know if I have the correct chain-line on a singlespeed bike.

Graham

Go to Sheldon Brown's site and read up.

FYI, my SS chainline measures 2mm off- 45 in front and 43 in back. But
sighting and with a ruler it looks spot on, and I've never had the
chain come off. Then again, maybe my frame is out of alignment.