What a wonderful place to ride bike...

Old July 31st 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default What a wonderful place to ride bike...

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:43:05 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

The right turning truck scenario can be a simple right hook -- you get passed by a vehicle which then turns right. One can get passed even when taking the lane. In fact, I was taking the lane two days ago, got passed by a truck that promptly turned right. If I had a RPG, I would have used it.

The right turning scenario can be a right hook, but I think those happen far
more often to edge-riding cyclists than to those taking the lane. Nothing
is perfect, of course; but when taking the lane, you at least have more room
to the right for evasive maneuvering.

And when taking the lane, I've stopped an attempted right hook by glaring
at the motorist and shaking my head. I had time to do that because my
lane position made him hesitate when he was directly next to me.

Then there is putting yourself (legally) in harms way. The Tracy Sparling incident that resulted in the green boxes in Portland. http://blog.oregonlive.com/pdxgreen/...rtland_in.html

That can happen to a skilled cyclist or pedestrian if a truck is not signalling or indicating a turn by position in the lane.

It's certainly possible to be legally in danger. As we've noted before,
that situation is just one of the problems with bike lanes - sending the
"You're safe here" to cyclists to the curb side of potential turning vehicles.

So perhaps what's needed is education and publicity campaigns from the
bike lane people, saying "By the way, our bike lanes can get you killed."

I ride in the door zone every day because I'm unwilling to sit in long lines of MV traffic stacked up at light after light. That is risk taking, but I watch carefully. It's like riding through a herd of cows, which I have also done. You have to predict movement while at the same time avoid scaring the wildlife.

It certainly is risk taking. Yes, one can get away with it. I think one is
much more likely to succeed if one knows that it _is_ a big risk.

Whether in a car, on my motorcycle or on my bike, a fair amount of my
attention always goes toward spotting hypothetical problems, or what might
go wrong. That way, there are many fewer "unexpected" hazards.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 31st 14, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 31/07/2014 18:32, Andre Jute wrote:

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:50:07 PM UTC+1, Clive George wrote:
On 31/07/2014 17:29, Andre Jute wrote:

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:19:53 PM UTC+1, Clive George wrote:

On 31/07/2014 15:45, Andre Jute wrote:

Oh, I didn't say the battery in my iPad or iPhone will last any longer than anyone else's. Clive George assumed that, and I couldn't be bothered to straighten him out. Taking devices off the charger is just something I do routinely. I do have some batteries that came with instructions not to leave them on the charger, including my big bike battery, so it's a useful habit.

Do I need to remind you again?

Of what?

"The iPhone and iPad are charged through a buffer battery scaled to run

out of juice before their 12-hour overcharge limits are breached"

Yes, that's what I said. What I didn't say is that it makes my iPhone and iPad batteries last longer. You just assumed that, in your usual presumptuous manner, and made that the subtext of your exchange with me. As for the overcharge limit, I'd rather believe the creators of my battery monitor than you.

Did Apple create your battery monitor? Is there documentation from Apple

saying there's a 12 hour overcharge limit?

There's certainly rumours about it, but if you look into them they've

got no supporting evidence. Knowing a little bit about how best to

handle charge in lithium batteries helps understand why. Apple know

this, which is why there's no instructions from them about it.

The creators of your battery app are fallible humans like the rest of

us. They're probably responsible for spreading the rumour, but that

doesn't make it well founded.

Are we done now?

Depends if you're going to have the grace to accept that something

you've written isn't right.

Nah, I don't think so, Clive. I'd rather believe these anonymous Chinese than you, any day of the week. It has nothing to do with grace, but with past experience with you: you're wrong too frequently for me to have any faith in what you say or think, and your insistence on scoring points doesn't generate credibility either. Too bad. Ciao.

Too bad you're not willing to learn.

I'll believe that Ciao when I see it.