What a wonderful place to ride bike...

Old July 23rd 14, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default What a wonderful place to ride bike...

On 7/22/2014 7:36 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Sometimes no matter how careful and prepared you are the unexpected happens. The term for that is "accident'. People don't sit around and then decide, "I think I'll go for a bicycle ride and have an accident."

We all know that unexpected situations arise.

But it's also true that the more a person learns about riding, the fewer
"unexpected" situations they encounter. And when they do happen on an
unexpected hazard, they are more likely to handle it well.

Knowledge and skill work wonderfully. But most people on bikes know very
little, and have fairly low skill levels; and still, cycling is very safe.

It takes only a little knowledge and skill to make cycling
_tremendously_ safe.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 23rd 14, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:52:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/22/2014 7:36 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Sometimes no matter how careful and prepared you are the unexpected happens. The term for that is "accident'. People don't sit around and then decide, "I think I'll go for a bicycle ride and have an accident."

We all know that unexpected situations arise.

But it's also true that the more a person learns about riding, the fewer
"unexpected" situations they encounter. And when they do happen on an
unexpected hazard, they are more likely to handle it well.

Knowledge and skill work wonderfully. But most people on bikes know very
little, and have fairly low skill levels; and still, cycling is very safe.

It takes only a little knowledge and skill to make cycling
_tremendously_ safe.

Perhaps like the knowledge that in extremely slippery conditions one
should get off and walk?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 25th 14, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per James:
A lot of folks do that now. We even have a startup company making rear
facing integrated tail lights with camera.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-tail-light-co

Just in case that thing takes off and the day comes for v2.0: I would
buy one in a heartbeat if it could be mounted and forgotten about. i.e.
it could get power from my dynamo.

Even a feature where it got power from my headlight battery and beeped
when voltage dropped below, say, two hours' riding time....

As it is, I've been close to carrying a dash cam a few times, but the
obsessive quality of having to mount it, un-mount it, and charge it have
put me off. But something like the dash cams on my car where I've
almost forgotten they are there? No brainer.... gotta have one.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 25th 14, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
Just in case that thing takes off....

BTW, great advertisement.... If the quality of that ad is any indicator
of success, you've got it in the bag.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 29th 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/07/14 02:43, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per James:
A lot of folks do that now. We even have a startup company making rear
facing integrated tail lights with camera.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-tail-light-co

Just in case that thing takes off and the day comes for v2.0: I would
buy one in a heartbeat if it could be mounted and forgotten about. i.e.
it could get power from my dynamo.

Even a feature where it got power from my headlight battery and beeped
when voltage dropped below, say, two hours' riding time....

As it is, I've been close to carrying a dash cam a few times, but the
obsessive quality of having to mount it, un-mount it, and charge it have
put me off. But something like the dash cams on my car where I've
almost forgotten they are there? No brainer.... gotta have one.

One of the reasons I wouldn't buy one was because it couldn't be charged
or powered from my dynamo, and the battery life is so short it would
give me the ****s to have to keep charging the damn thing after (or
during) every ride.

--
JS
Old July 30th 14, 08:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:37:55 PM UTC+1, James wrote:
[...]

When I fitted an electric motor to my bike, I thought that the irritation-factor of recharging the battery would be a consideration, as it had been for heavy-duty battery lamps years ago, but I just turned it into part of the routine. I routinely unlock the battery from the bike, unplug it, carry it up to my study with the rest of the stuff that goes to my study, and plug it in immediately. Before I go to bed a quick glance around my study (while my computer shuts down) tells me whether any battery charger lights are on and what colour they are, and then I pull the plugs. As an event of your day, it's an irritation; when you turn it into a habit it consumes a few hardly noticed seconds. I've turned the batteries in other devices into the same routine. When I sit down at my desk, I plug in my iPhone, when I go to bed I plug in my iPad.

All these things have in common that they're easily and quickly removed from the bike, pockets or bags, whatever they're on or in, and easily plugged and unplugged, and come with internal battery health controls. The bike battery for instance unlocks with a key on the ring that I already have in my hand at that point from unlocking the n'lock to secure the bike, and the output plug for the battery is an aircraft type bayonet with a quicktwist lock which, the way I have it rigged up, doesn't actually need to be done up, though I do fasten it because it never cross-threads and takes only a fraction of a second, literally, once it is a habit. The iPhone and iPad are charged through a buffer battery scaled to run out of juice before their 12-hour overcharge limits are breached; the same buffer battery goes on my bike to recharge the iPhone (which operates my heart rate monitor) or, theoretically (since the thing has never actually run out of juice), the Kodak Zx1 bike camera, on very long rides, undertaken at most once or twice a year (last year only once, this year not yet, though in the present fine weather I have hopes). I could recharge all these devices from the main battery, but it would mean fiddly wires being plugged and unplugged; the buffer battery weighs six ounces, goes in the bar bag together with a custom cable I soldered up in ten minutes with plugs for all my devices, and works very conveniently.

But wing nuts, fiddly little clips, attachment modules that have to be rotated around the handlebars, stuff that take time and attention, I don't want to know about. All of that stuff, no matter how useful or how long between battery changes/charges, is now gone from my bike. The iPhone slips into a see-through, work-through waterproof bag on the handlebars, no zip even, the iPad goes into a saddlebag (very rarely actually), the vidcam is on a tripod quick release that clicks in.

Andre Jute
A systems approach beats ad hoc chaos every day
Old July 30th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 30/07/2014 08:54, Andre Jute wrote:
The iPhone and iPad are charged through a buffer battery scaled to run out of juice before their 12-hour overcharge limits are breached

The iPhone and iPad don't have sensible electronics which stop charging
when the battery is full? That surprises me a lot.
Old July 30th 14, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:52:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/22/2014 7:36 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Sometimes no matter how careful and prepared you are the unexpected happens. The term for that is "accident'. People don't sit around and then decide, "I think I'll go for a bicycle ride and have an accident."

We all know that unexpected situations arise.

But it's also true that the more a person learns about riding, the fewer

"unexpected" situations they encounter. And when they do happen on an

unexpected hazard, they are more likely to handle it well.

Knowledge and skill work wonderfully. But most people on bikes know very

little, and have fairly low skill levels; and still, cycling is very safe..

It takes only a little knowledge and skill to make cycling

_tremendously_ safe.

Riders should be skilled and knowledgeable, but in my experience, there is a low correlation between injury and knowledge/skill level. Looking at my cohort, all have been injured -- some seriously -- and all are knowledgeable, experienced, skilled, brave, clean, trustworthy, etc., etc. The idiots remain surprisingly unhurt -- like the idiots running lights and riding the wrong way on one-way city streets on my way home last night. It reminds me of working ambulance and finding that the drunk was always the least injured in some fatal accident he caused.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 30th 14, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/30/2014 10:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:52:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

It takes only a little knowledge and skill to make cycling
_tremendously_ safe.

Riders should be skilled and knowledgeable, but in my experience,

there is a low correlation between injury and knowledge/skill level.
Looking at my cohort, all have been injured -- some seriously -- and
all are knowledgeable, experienced, skilled, brave, clean, trustworthy,
etc., etc. The idiots remain surprisingly unhurt -- like the idiots
running lights and riding the wrong way on one-way city streets on my
way home last night. It reminds me of working ambulance and finding that
the drunk was always the least injured in some fatal accident he caused.

I think you're probably under the influence of selection bias. This can
happen in many ways. For example, you hear about and remember the
injuries that happen to your friends (or your "cohort"), but you don't
hear about most of the injuries that happen to "idiots," because you
tend to avoid the idiots.

There's also another possible factor: As you've described many times,
your riding buddies are a pretty competitive bunch, and you (plural)
ride frequently in conditions that others would avoid. Even if you and
your friends have much higher skills than average, you folks may
momentarily exceed the protection of those skills by riding closer to
your limits - whether on ice, steep descents, gonzo off-road or wherever.

(In a sense, the key to avoiding crashing is keep a healthy margin
between the current hazards and your skill limits, whatever they are.
Those limits vary greatly, individual to individual; those hazards vary
greatly, moment by moment.)

In any case, I think the data's pretty solid that those with less skill
crash more often. In _Bicycle Transportation_, Forester gives data from
various sources on crash rates vs. miles ridden. Table 5-4 shows that
those who ride up to 500 miles per year have crash rates six times
higher (per mile) than those who ride 2000+ miles per year. Surely this
is because those who ride lots have developed more skills, and those
skills tend to protect from crashes.

Admittedly, there are exceptions. Other variables in the mix might be
intelligence, coordination, competitiveness, tolerance for risk, typical
riding conditions, etc.

About alcohol, there seems to be lots of data correlating drinking with
crashing. About 1/4 of fatally injured cyclists are drunk!

http://www.seattlemet.com/news-and-p...nvolve-alcohol

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...ol_consumption

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ype=blogs&_r=0

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 30th 14, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:24:29 PM UTC+1, Clive George wrote:
On 30/07/2014 08:54, Andre Jute wrote:

The iPhone and iPad are charged through a buffer battery scaled to run out of juice before their 12-hour overcharge limits are breached

The iPhone and iPad don't have sensible electronics which stop charging

when the battery is full? That surprises me a lot.

Dunno what you're on about this time, Clive. The i-devices have a multi-cycle protection system built in: a full fast charge to 80%, a slower charge to 90%, then a trickle charge to 100% just to let the electrons feel they're wanted. All the same, owners are advised not to leave them plugged in for more than twelve hours after they are fully charged. As an additional line of defense I've selected the buffer battery capacity to run out before twelve hours after a full charge has elapsed. I trust that makes it clear to you.

Andre Jute