Oakley lens quality - scratch easy longevity?

Old August 4th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
pacqueman

Default Oakley lens quality - scratch easy longevity?

On Aug 3, 9:15 am, " wrote:
Hi-

Below is a email I sent Oakley- but I'm curious as to others who may
have scratch issues- or longevity issues with Oakley-

(I will post Oakley's reply - if they reply)

I think I need to go back to "glass" lens and Vaurnet.
I will pay handsomely for quality.

Dear Oakley-

It disheartens me to write this email. I own 2 pairs of Oakley:

1. Straight Jacket (black) w/polarize lens (model 04-254?)
2. OO e-wire Silver Frame Blue Iridium Jordan

I use extreme care with my sunglasses. They usually hang from my
vehicle visor and rarely leave the vehicle. The straight jacket pair
is 2 years old and the lenses are terrible scratched. I will no longer
wear them. The "OO" are 3 years old - always kept in the microbag and
are still like new- because I rarely wear them- but the wire frames
are very delicate - much to my surprise and I fear the lens will
scratch - so I intend to ebay them.

But- my MAIN compliant is the SCRATCHABILITY of your lenses. I am
highly disappointed. After only 2 years these are UNwearable. Please
advise - I want my MONEY back on the Straight Jackets. Receipt
6-15-2006 for $159.95. You can have them back - I will send them to
you.

My history and care of sunglasses:

I have worn (and still have) upscale/nice sunglasses since 1991:

1. Vaurnet "v" - lasted 8 years very little scratching
2. Vaurnet "unknown model" - lasted 6 years very little scratching
3. Oakley Straight Jacket - easily scratched and UNwearable within 2
years.

Please advise - I want my MONEY back on the Straight Jackets. Receipt
6-15-2006 for $159.95. You can have them back - I will send them to
you.

Please compensate:

I think Bianchi glasses come with a very good warranty.

Old August 4th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Flom

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi-

Below is a email I sent Oakley- but I'm curious as to others who may
have scratch issues- or longevity issues with Oakley-

I have a pair of seven(?) year old M-frames -- maybe they're six. They were
pretty new on the market at that point. I heard about scratch issues when I
first got them. I am fairly careful, but not extremely careful with them.
Sure, they have the odd scratch but overall they are flat out great. No
complaints. I've been very happy with Oakley's warranty policy too. I
returned them once for a broken earpiece and they replaced it for $22 total.
Then my kid was playing with them and lost the nose piece. That was a free
replacement (happens again and it's a whopping $3). Absolutely no
complaints on my Oakleys. I sent them to:
Oakley Repair Department

1 Icon

Foothill Ranch , CA 92610

Tel. #: 1-800-733-6255

Old August 4th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message JyUsi.89243$xk5.8674@edtnps82, Jim Flom
') wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi-

Below is a email I sent Oakley- but I'm curious as to others who may
have scratch issues- or longevity issues with Oakley-

I have a pair of seven(?) year old M-frames -- maybe they're six. They
were
pretty new on the market at that point. I heard about scratch issues
when I
first got them. I am fairly careful, but not extremely careful with
them.
Sure, they have the odd scratch but overall they are flat out great.

My experience, too.

I've had my M Frames (red irridium lenses for day, clear for night riding)
about four years. They go everywhere with me, and I don't handle them
excessively carefully. They're quite often unprotected in my bike bag, or
kicking about in my truck. They've usually, but not always, been cleaned
with their little magic bag - and the bag has been through the washing
machine a few times. They've also been cleaned a good few times on the hem
of my cycling shirt, and on other things they shouldn't have been.

You can tell they're not new, but they're not seriously scratched. If
they'd been put back in their little bag every time they'd be in
considerably better condition.

They are coated plastic lenses. They need a certain amount of care, but it
doesn't seem to me they need excessive care. I'm extremely pleased with
mine.

my other car is #Subr-Car: #5d480
;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

Old August 5th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

My history and care of sunglasses:

I have worn (and still have) upscale/nice sunglasses since 1991:

1. Vaurnet "v" - lasted 8 years very little scratching
2. Vaurnet "unknown model" - lasted 6 years very little scratching
3. Oakley Straight Jacket - easily scratched and UNwearable within 2
years.

Please advise - I want my MONEY back on the Straight Jackets. Receipt
6-15-2006 for $159.95. You can have them back - I will send them to
you.

Wow. I'm not good AT ALL at taking care of things like my regular
prescription glasses or my Oakley sunglasses, leaving them around to get
banged up. My Oakleys sit in my helmet after the ride, and if the helmet
goes anywhere (on a trip as luggage), the glasses sit in the helmet with all
manner of stuff piled against them. And yet after several years they show
very little in the way of scratches.

We sell a whole lot of them too, and very rarely have issues with scratches.
Once in a while, yes... someone comes in with one that looks pretty
dreadful. I can look at them all I want & try to figure out what happened to
them, but come up with no clues, until the customer does the same thing to
another pair, and then you kinda figure it's not the glasses...

I've tried other brands over the years, but I'm sold on the Oakleys. They're
comfortable, and for whatever reason, my eyes just feel better. It might be
superior optics; Oakley might be spending 59 cents on the lenses vs 22 cents
for other brands.

Whatever the case, writing a nasty letter to Oakley is less likely to get
your money back than sounding a bit more reasonable. As others have noted,
Oakley's been a pretty easy company to deal with when there are problems.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 5th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brian Phillips

I've owned (and still do) Oakley Factory Pilots, Razor blades, the original
Frogskins, M-frames and another type that I forgot the name of. The biggest
problem I had was the M-frames made in the early-to-mid 90's that would get
stress cracks and fall apart. Oakley replaced them multiple times. I don't
have any problem with the current generation M-frames. The Iridium lenses do
scratch easier, but I have several that I've used for many years and they
are still in great shape. I don't use the Oakley cloth to clean 'em. I use
water or Windex then wipe them with a paper towel.

If you're serious about the Vuarnet thing, I've got an old pair of cateye
style Vuarnets from the early 80's that I could let go for a fair price.

Old August 8th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bruce Gilbert[_4_]

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:55:01 -0700, wrote:

On Aug 3, 2:39 pm, Bill C wrote:
On Aug 3, 1:56 pm, chester wrote:

for the record all my 3 oakleys are scratched. I like the glasses but

it
is a lot of money for lenses that easily scratch. I prob won't buy

another.

wrote:
[...]

Please compensate:- Hide quoted text -

Not the most stylish glasses out there but damned near indestructible
except for the arms breaking and then they just send you new ones:

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/garanclas.html

Excellent tool.
Bill C- Hide quoted text -

my old rudy project glasses are still perfect- 6 year old lenses- worn
just about every day; not kept in any case ( but always kept with
resonable care)

I've had good luck with the lenses on Rudys, Smiths and now Bolles.
Though with the Bolle's other stuff breaks -- really poor quality
control. But can be found cheap.
--
JT
****************************

I hate to admit it, but a couple of years ago I bought 12 pairs of
reasonably good looking safety glasses at Sam's Club for $25. They are
rather well made, rather scratch resistant and hold up beautifully. I took
them to an optician friend who said they were pretty decent in terms of
optical quality. He said they are at least the quality of the expensive
sport/fashion, maybe better.

What attracted me to the package was that there were 2 pairs of clear
amongst the them that were great for riding late in the day into the
evening. In three years, I have gone through 4 pairs. Two got lost, one
given away and the fourth I am wearing every day. If you are in a Sam's take
a look at these things...

Bruce

Old August 9th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brian Broderick

wrote:
[...]

For me, the problem has never been scratching the damn things up, it's
been holding onto them. I leave them absolutely everywhere, and I've
lost a nice Oakley Flak Jacket not to thievery or scratches, but to a
stormy surfing session. Oh well, it was a bad idea to start!

I would be glad that you got two years of them; that's a lot of rides
they've seen you through. Plus, Oakley is completely immune to
customer complaints: they're a style and performance icon in the
eyewear world. I doubt they will be willing to spend effort on a one-
time customer.

Brian