one piece crank mod

Old December 5th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default one piece crank mod

wrote:

I just got a 74 Schwinn Sprint (the model with the bent seat tube).
What are your comments on drilling out the pedal threads to accomodate
larger diameter thread size pedals. There appears (to me) to be
enough meat on the steel crank-arm to do it. How dumb of an idea is
this?

It's not a dumb idea to think of, but it would be a dumb thing to do.
There isn't a lot of room for larger threads there, and the
consequences of failure could be pretty serious.

I want to retail the original look of this funky old bike but really
don't like to ride without clipless pedals.

That's a little like not going out in public without a girdle. I
understand the attraction of clipless pedals-- I used them for years--
but free-footed riding feels better and suits that bike to a T. You
can even wear nice-looking shoes with them. These, for instance:

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1631/cimg1223sk5.jpg
http://www.ayyawear.com/item/94
http://customcowboybootsandshoesforu...es/17/4124.jpg
http://image24.webshots.com/25/4/78/...0wMRfPd_fs.jpg

If you simply _have_ to mount foot bondage gear on your classic
freedom-loving bike, and you can stand the look of black cranks, these
are one-piece cranks specifically designed to take 9/16" pedals:

http://www.choppersus.com/store/prod...6-1-2%2C-9-16/

Chalo
Old December 5th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1...0wMRfPd_fs.jpg

If you simply _have_ to mount foot bondage gear on your classic
freedom-loving bike, and you can stand the look of black cranks, these
are one-piece cranks specifically designed to take 9/16" pedals:

http://www.choppersus.com/store/prod...-1-Pc.-6-1-2%2...

I forgot to add that Schwinn OPC bottom brackets are threaded 28tpi
compared to everybody else's 24tpi. So if you swap to the above
crank, you'll need to fork out another five bucks or so for a 24tpi
BB. But you can use the bike's original chainrings.

Chalo
Old December 5th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 4, 5:41 pm, Chalo wrote:
Chalo wrote:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1...http://www.ayy...

If you simply _have_ to mount foot bondage gear on your classic
freedom-loving bike, and you can stand the look of black cranks, these
are one-piece cranks specifically designed to take 9/16" pedals:

http://www.choppersus.com/store/prod...-1-Pc.-6-1-2%2...

I forgot to add that Schwinn OPC bottom brackets are threaded 28tpi
compared to everybody else's 24tpi. So if you swap to the above
crank, you'll need to fork out another five bucks or so for a 24tpi
BB. But you can use the bike's original chainrings.

Chalo

Thanks for the comments guys. Tonight I did some measurements on the
single piece crank and there doesn't really appear to be enough meat
to drill out to 9/16".

Chalo, I think that footwear is a little too racy for me. I might
appear too cool for my spandex friends.

Jay, the tap kit is nice but $140 is too pricey. I only paid $40 for
the bike.

I just love that bent seat tube and don't mind that the bike weighs 40
lbs.

I like that one-piece crank arm that Chalo suggested for $15.99. I'm
was considering Power Grips but that solution is cheaper. I already
have spare SPD pedals.

Tom