Now the cops are yelling at us :-(

Old March 23rd 06, 01:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Now the cops are yelling at us :-(

Riding in to work this morning along St Kilda Road and stopped in the
bicycle storage box at the junction of Southbank Boulevard (Just before
the arts gallery), filtering left of the police car who was stopped just
over the stop line.

About five seconds later another cyclist filtered right of the police
car and stopped in the storage box. Another forty or fifty seconds
pass and the lights go green and off we go.

I'm pedalling along only to have the police car pass with the
co-driver hanging out the window yelling something (couldn't understand
a word). The cyclist behind me asks me what it's all about and I've no
idea.

Next set of lights and the police car's stopped at the red. I pull up
next to it and the lady behind me asks me to move forward 'cause she
wants a word with the poiliceman (I was going to let it go).

Near enough verbatim, here's the conversation:

Lady: ``Excuse me, what did you say to me back then?''
Cop: ``Oh just saying that you shouldn't go to the front of traffic
like that because you might get run over.''
me: ``It's a bicycle storage box. The reason they exist is so that
cyclists can filter through traffic so that they are visible to
motorists. That's the whole point of them being there.''
Lady: ``Yes, that's what they're there for isn't it? Why else would
be there?''
cop: ``But you might get run over if you're in the front, especially
cutting in from the right like that.''
me: `A cyclist can overtake another vehcile on the left or the right.
Once in front the duty of care falls to the driver behind. We're
clearly visible to you, being right in front of you so how are we going
to get run over.''
cop: ``Just saying you want to be careful doing that.''

Light goes green, car drives off. The policeman we were talking to
looked very uncomfortable as the conversation progressed, the ``oops,
I'm in the wrong but can't admint it'' kind of uncomfortable.

Now is it worth reporting? Made a note of the rego and time, should
have got the other cyclist's name I suppose.

--
EuanB

Old March 23rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB Wrote:
[...]

sounds like he had good intentions, but not full knowledge of the law.
You have now helped him to understand a cyclists perspective. Don't go
and undo a positive by getting him into trouble.

--
sinus

Old March 23rd 06, 01:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

REPORT THE IGNORANT PIG !!!!!!!

I'm tired of the autonomy they give to these meat-heads during major events.
They seem to have carte blanche to interpret and enforce the law as they see
it not on how it is written.
An example so simple like yours makes me sick at the level of intelligence
of our law enforcement staff.

Old March 23rd 06, 01:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SteveA wrote:

sinus Wrote:
sounds like he had good intentions, but not full knowledge of the law.
You have now helped him to understand a cyclists perspective. Don't go
and undo a positive by getting him into trouble.

I agree. From the conversation you report, he came to a clear
understanding of the law during the conversation. I would report him
if the conversation had been threatening or agressive. Reporting him
will just cause trouble and more importantly, it will not teach him
anything he has not learnt in the conversation he had at the lights.

True.

I would consider reporting it without details of who it was, as an
incident that you would like addressed at the source, treating the
problem (i.e. provide better education for police officers) rather than
the symptom (i.e. reprimand an officer who probably thought he was
providing you good advice, prior to your re-educating him).

Tam
Old March 23rd 06, 02:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SteveA wrote:
sinus Wrote:

sounds like he had good intentions, but not full knowledge of the
law. You have now helped him to understand a cyclists perspective.
Don't go and undo a positive by getting him into trouble.

I agree. From the conversation you report, he came to a clear
understanding of the law during the conversation. I would report him
if the conversation had been threatening or agressive. Reporting him
will just cause trouble and more importantly, it will not teach him
anything he has not learnt in the conversation he had at the lights.

If the police don't know the law, what can you expect from Joe or Josephine
Citizen?

Where is the public education. All the Govt is required to do with a new law
or reg is get the Governor to sign it and publish it in the Gov't gazette.
Hands up all those who read that each week.

Theo

Old March 23rd 06, 02:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Ladies and gents .... I dont even see this as a question of the law .... we
are talking about common sense here.

Firstly, the big white bicycle painted on the road isnt obvious as an area
desginated for bikes?

Secondly, is that an accepted police method of engaging Joe or Josephine
Citizen: yelling out the window of a passing vehicle?

Are you even sure that he in fact said that the first time? I wouldnt be
surprised if he was being fascetious considering he didnt take the
initiative to follow up at the next lights.

Lets be clear. The police culture is built from within the organisation. The
organisation needs to know about this.
Police used to wantonly flash the "Freddie" whenever they wanted freebies in
the past. It has only been through reporting these unfair practices that
this has become frowned upon WITHIN the organisation.

Say your peace.

Old March 23rd 06, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle

me: `A cyclist can overtake another vehcile on the left or the right.
Once in front the duty of care falls to the driver behind. We're
clearly visible to you, being right in front of you so how are we going
to get run over.''

That's good to know, actually, the left or right but.

After I filtered to the front a couple of nights ago and exchanged some
words with a prick who tooted me for doing so, he got out of his car and
lunged at me. Yelled at me for "thinking I own the road". All this for
filtering to the front at a red light! (on the LHS)

Fun and games as always ;-)

Jules
Old March 23rd 06, 03:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Jules wrote:

me: `A cyclist can overtake another vehcile on the left or the right.
Once in front the duty of care falls to the driver behind. We're
clearly visible to you, being right in front of you so how are we going
to get run over.''

That's good to know, actually, the left or right but.

After I filtered to the front a couple of nights ago and exchanged some
words with a prick who tooted me for doing so, he got out of his car and
lunged at me. Yelled at me for "thinking I own the road". All this for
filtering to the front at a red light! (on the LHS)

Fun and games as always ;-)

Jules

He got out, came _around_ the car and lunged at you? That would've
earned the prick a headbutt from me. Or (if he was fat and slow) a
quick jump off my bike, run around the other way, and drive off in his
car.

Tam
Old March 23rd 06, 03:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB wrote:
snip

I'd recommend a letter to the editor of the Age or Hun. As I see it,
the real issue is that the public perception (and that of some police)
of where we should be on the road is just wrong. Don't make a complaint
but make it public!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

cops said *67 is not going help Marty Wallace [email protected] who is a who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station has over 300 harassing phones calls in one week [email protected] Australia 0 February 23rd 06 12:13 AM
DEAD COPS PEEONCPDDELATORRE Australia 0 September 6th 05 02:49 PM
Miami Critical Mass has run in with the Cops Dan Azorbia Social Issues 3 August 27th 04 05:10 AM