Has anyone...

Old June 14th 06, 01:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Has anyone...

Chris Glidden wrote:
done a google search on what you have posted in AM-B over the years?

See you all on the trails,

CG

Yeah I have been here since... well... it's been... let's see.. trying
to remember what the raging debate was at the time... how to "properly"
set up cantis maybe! ;-)
I have met friends had great rides and sometimes laughed so hard at my
monitor I am sure other people near by thought I'd snapped.
Some here have been a great influence on my life.. on how to be and not
be!

Don't forget Rog!

I remember that Yagamon guy... ughh I couldn't stand him!!! ;-)

Thanks for the memories

Old June 14th 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Steve Baker wrote:
Chris Glidden wrote:
done a google search on what you have posted in AM-B over the years?

Not recently. I use Netscan
http://netscan.research.microsoft.co....mountain-bike

I wish I could remember when I started on AM-B, but the damned
headband cuts off the flow of blood to the brain. ;-)
Anyone else still using their headband?
Steve

Ahoy. Use my two all the time (when the outfit calls for it, of course!).

I started mountain biking (at age {cough cough} ___ ) in 1996. Not sure
when I discovered AM-B though -- maybe that same year?

Anyway, the very first person I remember replying to me was Blaine, with a
very usleful and well-considered heads-up re. The Mad Do(r)c, who was
already perfecting his trollisms way back then.

Eventually I and some of my friends met ChIpPy and some of his friends, and
the beginnings of our little local mtb network began.

Bill "AM-B been berry berry good to me" S.

Old June 14th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Jimbo(san) wrote:

Don't forget Rog!

ROG!!!

I remember that Yagamon guy... ughh I couldn't stand him!!! ;-)

Saw him eat dirt on {whatever that trail's called up there -- "Rocket"?};
dropped him on SJT in the heat (like, 108!). Now he'd drop ME like a hot
burrito... maybe eg

Old June 14th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Chris Glidden wrote:
snip good stuff
See you all on the trails,

CG

Chris, I'm deeply, deeply offended I didn't make it into your trip down
memory lane. Maybe I need to be more controversial!

I have to say the Gotham Burns piece was memorable for me too. Good
(bad) stuff indeed.

Good to hear from you.

Take care & ride on,

Matt
Old June 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Chris Glidden wrote:
done a google search on what you have posted in AM-B over the years?

I don't post much these days, what with a wife, 2 young daughters, work and
rides when I can squeeze them in; I do lurk as much as possible though.

Anyway, back to the topic. As I read the group I often reflect on how alot
of the same people who were here when I started posting in the mid '90's
(under Yagamon1) are still here and many are not. It's kind of like a big
group of friends that come and go in the real world.

A few memories that come to mind... I remember one of JD's first posts (if
not his first), he had just moved to CO and had suffered a personal tragedy
(his business to recount if he cares to). The regulars were all very
supportive and hopefully were able to help him through it. Another "JD
memory" was the time many years ago he and I kept some inane thread going in
a pseudo-contest of Blazing Saddle quotes (How about some more beans Mr.
Taggart). JD certainly has rubbed a few people the wrong way over the
years, but I for one respect him for his brutal honesty and I know for a
fact he is a hell of a rider. He is the kind of guy who if he is your
friend will always have your back.

9/11/01 was a tragic day. Amongst the vivid memories I have of that day is
the incredible post by Corvus Corvax (Gotham Burns) detailing first hand
what it was like to be a witness to the devastation. I saved a copy for an
occassional dose of reality. Thanks Corvus.

Does anyone remember Dot Morrison? Erutan000? Those of you that do will
know why I don not elaborate further.

I'm happy to see Carla, Penny and Gabrielle around. When I read their posts
I always wonder what happened to the other girls of AM-B, Sabine and
Kathleen (she loves her dogs).

And what about Rich Touart, Commander Bond and Cleanbean? Where did those
guys go? Speaking of old timers, I also wonder what happened to TrekkieDad
who tried so hard to keep people from responding to a certain troll's posts.
Chip, are you lurking around, my rasta brah?

Speaking of trolls, we certainly have had our fair share of kooks. One of
my favorites was that Italian guy who hated SRAM (ah ah, death to you), he
was hilarious.

One thing that has remained a constant in the group is the love of mountain
biking we all share. I have come to realize that it does not matter what
you ride, or how well you ride it. It's all about getting out there and
riding, whether it's on an urban bike path with absolutely no technical
challenges or on the most challenging technical trail you can find.
Whatever floats your boat.

I consider myself an intermediate to advanced rider in some areas. Climbing
stamina has always been a challenge because I don't get to ride as much as I
like. I can descend with the best of them though. While the epic rides
always stand out in my mind, some of the best rides I have had is when I
have let one of my friends ride my loaner bike for the first time on dirt.
To see them get hooked on the sport is such a high for me.

Anyway, this has rambled in a few different directions; I've been
reminiscing a bit. Bottom line, I'm always happy to see the same old faces
around and always happy to see the new people that have become a PRODUCTIVE
member of the AM-B family. Also, amused (and sometime annoyed) to see that
kooks who have nothing better to do with their time other than bait and
harrass people will always be around.

See you all on the trails,

CG

Ah yes...
A few personal highlights:
-- CC's postings are some of the high water marks for this lowly group.
"I was raised Catholic. Not bull**** guitar-strumming suburban
Catholicism, but good medieval Croatian death-cult Catholicism." And
that's just the opening lines!
-- I recall a tangle with JD early in my posting career. He called my
hometown a sewer, and I got all puffed up. As I cried giant tears on my
keyboard, I called him a gorilla. Recalling how offended I was, along
with how much work went into my retort (crafted to reveal that I was
indeed above his childish barbs but not without thorns myself) it's one
of my all-time most pathetic memories. I went into some harangue about
respecting where other people are from, yada yada. I think I called him
out on a typo two weeks later. Lord, was I ever so young? 110% sure he
has no memory of any of it. I, obviously, will take it to my grave....
-- There was a time that I felt like the low-wattage child of Kathleen
and Rog. I'm not going to get into it.
-- I've seen Mr. Fagerlin make many great contributions to the group.
None have made more of an impression than the infamous fleshy seat
collar bolt. Madre!

/s

Old June 14th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Scott Gordo wrote:
None have made more of an impression than the infamous fleshy seat
collar bolt. Madre!

Being there and the sudden realization that GTWD was licking that bolt
was very impressionable. The chorus of anguished gross-out was
indelible.

If it makes you feel any better, Skid Row in LA is a sewer too.

JD

Old June 14th 06, 10:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ah yes...
A few personal highlights:
-- CC's postings are some of the high water marks for this lowly group.
"I was raised Catholic. Not bull**** guitar-strumming suburban
Catholicism, but good medieval Croatian death-cult Catholicism." And
that's just the opening lines!

Absolutely. Although I do miss the mindbending boasts between Darsh and
Shaner. Those things were wild.

-- I've seen Mr. Fagerlin make many great contributions to the group.

Yep. He piped in a few times during the Darsh/Shaner wars. And still to
this day contributes to our a.m-b. moderation efforts.

None have made more of an impression than the infamous fleshy seat
collar bolt. Madre!

It made an even better impression in person. My one and only Fagerlin
attended trip so far.

Greg
--
"What have you got in that paper bag?
Is it a dose of Vitamin C?

Old June 14th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Chris Glidden wrote:
And what about Rich Touart

I have it on a good authority that he's riding his bike again and the
trails on his land in LA (Lower Alabama, y'all) have recently been
reopened post-hurricanes.

Chip, are you lurking around, my rasta brah?

Just look for the cloud, mon.

See you all on the trails,

That rings much more true than it did a coupla years ago.

JD ragging e-tards since '98

Old June 14th 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Scott Gordo wrote:

snip
-- There was a time that I felt like the low-wattage child of Kathleen
and Rog. I'm not going to get into it.

!?!?!

seriously weirded out

Kathleen

Old June 15th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Scott Gordo wrote:

-- I've seen Mr. Fagerlin make many great contributions to the group.
None have made more of an impression than the infamous fleshy seat
collar bolt. Madre!

I remember him putting Bob Marley's head on my torso -- at least I /think/
it was his head (he might have put someone's ass there, too, IIRC).