Larison Rock ~Video~

Old August 28th 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Default Larison Rock ~Video~

pete fagerlin wrote:
cc wrote:

"The trees and rocks at the edge of your vision are blurred due to
speed. In fact, many times you are able to pick out peripheral detail in
the video footage that you completely missed because your focus is down
the trail. "

This post of yours implies that blurring in person occurs less in video.

That's your erroneous interpretation.

There is blurring in video footage.

Despite that, you can still pick out
peripheral detail when you review the footage
since your focus when riding is typically
directly ahead of you. So when you review the
footage you see detail that you missed in
person (that pointy rock just downslope, that
Y-shaped tree at the forest fringe, etc.).

Next time, use a crayon. He just might get it.

JD

Old August 28th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mamba

heh heh. I rode that trail at MBO last summer. It's plenty steep in
spots. Lots of parts with big rocks and roots on outer turns. I was
surprised at how benign the trail surface looked in this video, but
it's deceptive. Some narrow sections with pretty extreme exposure. I
clipped an occassional rock with a pedal, and that could give you a 50'
tumble. Nobody in our group was going very fast.

With that said, the freeride boys that were doing the circus show at
the campground came down behind us and called to pass. We had to slide
our asses up the side wall beside us and haul our bikes up to give them
a few inches clearance to get by. Tried to take some shots, but they
went past in a freakin blur. These guys were young, sponsored and full
of testosterone.

The video looked plenty fast to me ;-)

CB wrote:

That trail looks like it would be fun . . at about double the speed of
that footage.

Seriously though, what was on the ground for either of those wipeouts?
IMO, it must have been the Linkin Suck in the background that took them
down.

Those trails are WAY steeper than the video makes them appear. Not many
riders went down Larison Rock faster than that (without a good auger).
The Alpine Trail across the valley in Oakridge was a virtual slide down
with short recoveries of downhill in between.

Chip

Old August 30th 06, 08:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
miles todd

On 2006-08-24 19:13:39 -0700, Ride-A-Lot said:

cc wrote:
CB wrote:
cc wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
This one came out much better then MRT due to the full cam setup. Nice
crash at the end.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/larison.wmv

That trail looks like it would be fun . . at about double the speed of
that footage.

Seriously though, what was on the ground for either of those wipeouts?
IMO, it must have been the Linkin Suck in the background that took them
down.

Those trails are WAY steeper than the video makes them appear. Not many
riders went down Larison Rock faster than that (without a good auger).
The Alpine Trail across the valley in Oakridge was a virtual slide down
with short recoveries of downhill in between.

Yeah, I'm familiar with deceptive video / pics, and remember RAL
mentioning it was all downhill . . it just looks like one of those
rolling trails you just point and rip. The whole time I was watching I
was thinking "faster, faster!" I'll have to check that out next time
I'm back in town . . maybe next month.

Maybe you could go faster, but I was at my personal limit. I have a
family to support and being in a body cast would not make things easy.

I had one of my worst crashes ever on that trail. The steepness of the
trail is deceptive in the video- it is one of those trails that a
couple of seconds of easing off the brakes has you going WAY TOO FAST.
It also has pretty good exposure in a lot of spots...

All that said, it is among my favorite trails ever.

miles

Old August 30th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

On 2006-08-24 19:13:39 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
said:

cc wrote:
CB wrote:
cc wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[...]

Thanks Miles.

It's nice when the comment comes from the man who knows exposure well.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 30th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
LIBERATOR

On 2006-08-24 19:13:39 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
said:

cc wrote:
CB wrote:
cc wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[...]

Hey sissy boy, aren't you gonna brag about letting Virginia Newbon use
your account/alias, and how she got me kicked?

Do you feel like you wounded me Ridey? Or am I talking to Virginia
using your alias?