MTB pedal and road pedal

Old October 3rd 03, 04:11 AM
Yumi

Default MTB pedal and road pedal

Probably a stupid question.
What is the difference between moutain bike pedals and road bike pedals?
I am thinking of getting clipless pedals for a road bike, but MTB pedals
seem to be cheaper in general.
Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike ? It is for a causual cycling. I
don't race.
TIA

Old October 3rd 03, 04:21 AM
David

"Yumi" wrote in message ...
Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike ?

Yes.

It is for a causual cycling. I
don't race.

Then MTB shoes would be better than road shoes since the cleats are embedded
and you can walk normally. A good MTB pedal with float (allowing some free
rotation of the cleat) should be fine, WTB Stealth would be great. Speedplay
Frog also. Lot of others as well.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:51 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:11:21 -0700, "Yumi"
wrote:
Probably a stupid question.

No, not stupid. Very common, use groups.google.com to search it.

What is the difference between moutain bike pedals and road bike pedals?

In general:

MTB:
-- Double-sided
-- Cheap
-- Can be used with recessed-cleat shoes, so you don't walk like a
duck
-- More robust

Road:
-- One-sided (gotta flip the pedal to get in)
-- Expensive
-- Usually large cleats that don't fit recessed tread (you'll walk
like a duck)
-- More aerodynamic
-- sometimes better ground clearance

There are, of course, exceptions.

I am thinking of getting clipless pedals for a road bike, but MTB pedals
seem to be cheaper in general.
Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike ? It is for a causual cycling. I
don't race.

Yes. I hear that people even use MTB pedals on road bikes in races
and win.

MTB pedals are easier to learn on, IMO. YMMV. Some people swear by
road pedals, but I've only had terrible road pedals; OTOH,
bottom-of-the-barrel $20 MTB pedals treat me well.

TIA

--
Rick "Happy with Nashbar Special SPDs" Onanian
Old October 3rd 03, 04:57 AM

Yumi Kobayashi writes:

Probably a stupid question.

Don't say that!

What is the difference between mountain bike pedals and road bike
pedals? I am thinking of getting clipless pedals for a road bike,
but MTB pedals seem to be cheaper in general.

Unless you are a weight weenie who counts grams differences, the MTB
pedals are all around more useful in that they are easy to get into
without fumbling around, the correct side of the pedal is always up.
With recessed cleat SPD pedals, the shoe is walkable like a normal
shoe.

Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike? It is for a casual cycling.
I don't race.

Even more so. I recommend the SH TO-92 shoe because it has smooth
flat rubber soles and doesn't have waffle-stopmper soles that track
dirt into any place you walk after walking on dirt. Take a look:

http://tinyurl.com/a822

Jobst Brandt

Old October 3rd 03, 06:43 AM
Mike Beauchamp

From everything I've seen.. road pedals have the word "road" in them, so
they are automatically twice the price of anything with the word "MTB" in
them.

The benefits of the weight savings (if any) the aerodynamics and the other
claims that road pedals make are probably bare minimum compared to the
actual benefit of just using clipless pedals if you're currently not using
them.

with MTB shoes, you can walk around in them since the cleat is recessed.. so
that's a pretty good benefit if you're riding around the city and such.. you
can go into stores or whever and not walk around like frankenstein

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old October 3rd 03, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Yumi- Probably a stupid question. BRBR

No stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Yumi I am thinking of getting clipless pedals for a road bike, but MTB
pedals
seem to be cheaper in general.
Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike ? BRBR

It's too bad there is a distinction about 'road' and "MTB' pedals as you can
really use either on either. But yes, two sided pedals that have a recessed
cleat works just fine for a road bike, particularly if you wish to walk around
a bit in your cycling shoes.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old October 3rd 03, 01:50 PM
Peter Cole

"Yumi" wrote in message
Probably a stupid question.
What is the difference between moutain bike pedals and road bike pedals?
I am thinking of getting clipless pedals for a road bike, but MTB pedals
seem to be cheaper in general.
Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike ? It is for a causual cycling. I
don't race.

The only real difference (at least with SPDs) is that MTB pedals are double
sided. Double sided pedals are nice, especially in the dark! I've mixed MTB &
road pedals with MTB & road shoes in the past (SPD), no problem, but I've
stopped using road shoes & pedals entirely. I don't think there are any
benefits, other than small weight differences, and there are significant
drawbacks.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:30 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Peter Cole" wrote in message

The only real difference (at least with SPDs) is that MTB pedals are double
sided. Double sided pedals are nice, especially in the dark! I've mixed MTB &
road pedals with MTB & road shoes in the past (SPD), no problem, but I've
stopped using road shoes & pedals entirely. I don't think there are any
benefits, other than small weight differences, and there are significant
drawbacks.

Single sided pedals are a pain, because they don't balance cleat side up like
they're supposed to. So you're always fumbling around to get into them. This
can be a real pain in traffic. Double sided MTB pedals are far more convenient,
and safer.

Also, SPD pedals do wear out. Double sided ones should last twice as long. And
because they're MTB products, they cost half as much. Seems like a much better
deal to me.

Matt O.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:49 PM
Matt O'Toole

wrote in message

Even more so. I recommend the SH TO-92 shoe because it has smooth
flat rubber soles and doesn't have waffle-stopmper soles that track
dirt into any place you walk after walking on dirt. Take a look:

http://tinyurl.com/a822

This is how all SPD shoes should be made, but aren't.

I really like my Sidis, for the fit, and the non-absorbant, quick-drying
synthetic materials. But the plasticky soles with big lugs are stupid. I don't
play rugby or run up muddy hills, where these might be useful, but I spend
plenty of time scrambling over rocks, where they're treacherous.

Matt O.

Old October 3rd 03, 06:48 PM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 03:57:39 +0000, jobst.brand wrote:

Unless you are a weight weenie who counts grams differences, the MTB
pedals are all around more useful in that they are easy to get into
without fumbling around, the correct side of the pedal is always up. With
recessed cleat SPD pedals, the shoe is walkable like a normal shoe.

Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike? It is for a casual cycling. I
don't race.

Even more so. I recommend the SH TO-92 shoe because it has smooth flat
rubber soles and doesn't have waffle-stopmper soles that track dirt into
any place you walk after walking on dirt. Take a look:

I heartily agree. I often wear my cycling shoes all day after commuting
in; in fact I have them on now. Mine are SH -M020's, though. I got them
to look more or less normal. In the summer I wear spd sandals.

I really recommend Speedplay Frogs. They are, unfortunately, not cheap,
but I find them more comfortable than Shimano cleats. I have also never
pulled out accidentally, as I did with spd.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton