Paint touch up

Old December 1st 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rik O'Shea

Default Paint touch up

There are a couple of scratches on a white Colnago Aluminium frame
that I want to touch up. In a couple of cases the paint has been worn
off (caused by cable abrasion) exposing the bare metal. I was think of
using some white automobile touch up paint. Any advise?
Old December 1st 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 1, 12:03*pm, "Rik O'Shea" wrote:
There are a couple of scratches on a white Colnago Aluminium frame
that I want to touch up. In a couple of cases the paint has been worn
off (caused by cable abrasion) exposing the bare metal. I was think of
using some white automobile touch up paint. Any advise?

That will work fine. Make sure to prep the surface with emery paper or
a suitable equivalent first. Check and see if routing your cables
differently or making the housing arcs a bit longer will prevent the
rubbing in the future
Old December 1st 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Rik O'Shea" wrote: (clip) Any advise?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
First, I hope you are aware that there are many different shades of "white."
Getting one that is really close may take a little searching. Applying
touch-up with a brush is hard to do seamlessly. If you can find something
in a spray can you can blend it more easily. This has two advantages: 1.)
the edges of the fix will not show as a ridge. 2.) If the color is slightly
off, you can feather it so it is not easily noticed.

Old December 1st 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

If you are mostly concerned with halting the spread of rust - and appearance
is not that important to you - you can get away with white nail polish for
at least one season. I've been using it on my mountain bike for twelve
years and, although it kind of looks like hell, the nail polish really does
stop rust in its tracks. Be sure to check it once a year and re-apply, if
necessary.

Old December 1st 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Papa Tom" wrote in message
If you are mostly concerned with halting the spread of rust

How much rust do you suppose he'll have on an aluminum frame?

Old December 1st 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

How much rust do you suppose he'll have on an aluminum frame?

Oops. Not as much as I seem to have on my brain.

Old December 2nd 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Papa Tom" wrote in message
How much rust do you suppose he'll have on an aluminum frame?

Oops. Not as much as I seem to have on my brain.

Gotcha. Touching up paint on an aluminum frame rarely works well.

Old December 2nd 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 1, 6:03*pm, "Rik O'Shea" wrote:
There are a couple of scratches on a white Colnago Aluminium frame
that I want to touch up. In a couple of cases the paint has been worn
off (caused by cable abrasion) exposing the bare metal. I was think of
using some white automobile touch up paint. Any advise?

On ali, don't bother. You'll have trouble with paint adhering. If you
paint, there will be ridges and the difficulties of colour matchng ,
even in white, will be highligted. If you spray you can, if the paint
adheres, flat the junction a bit to make the new paint blend better.

But I think a sporting bike should have a few honorable scars,
otherwise it makes its rider look like a cafe racer.

Since you aren't a cafe racer...

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Touch Paint FAQ joe cipale Techniques 4 January 25th 05 07:21 AM
Paint touch-up? Shane Stanley Australia 5 December 28th 04 10:03 PM
Touch-up paint question Bruce W.1 Techniques 5 December 11th 04 08:24 AM
Touch-up Paint & Rust evil-nick Unicycling 2 December 8th 04 08:43 PM
Paint Touch Up Paul UK 12 August 27th 04 11:31 AM