Fabien Barel Injured -- Broken Femur

Old June 3rd 10, 08:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

Default Cyclists injured by handsaw wielding Mike Vandeman

"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]
Jeff: You'll note that Ed is advocating violence, mass murder to be exact.
Not a
good thing to be doing these days. I've forwarded copies of Ed's post to
both
the US Justice Department, and the Minnesota Attorney General's office, so
thay
can decide whether or not he's a threat to society.

You are a threat to your own ass, but too stupid to realize it.

If every mountain biker were to croak tomorrow the world would be a far, far
better place.

Now go **** yourself and quit bothering us rational folks.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 3rd 10, 08:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]
Jeff: You'll note that Ed is advocating violence, mass murder to be exact.
Not a
good thing to be doing these days. I've forwarded copies of Ed's post to
both
the US Justice Department, and the Minnesota Attorney General's office, so
thay
can decide whether or not he's a threat to society.

I hope you also referred the above offices to my many messages on various
newsgroups advocating the atom bombing of the whole of Iran. Now there is
some real violence for you. I have also advocated dropping an atom bomb on
Tom Sherman's head, but I will include your head too if you wish.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS: I have given your name to the local police department as I think you may
be insane and prone to violence.

Old June 3rd 10, 08:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
All I can say is, "Mike, don't drop the soap."

Just because you would like to be ****ed does not mean everyone would
like to be ****ed.

This is a sublety that has escaped you, Mike's the one in jail, not me.
Whether I wanted to be ****ed in the ass or not, Mike's the one with the
opportunity -- don't drop the soap, Michael.

Sexual allusions are the last refuge of a scoundrel. Leave that sort of
thing to Bill Weir.

Old June 3rd 10, 08:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

[...]
Ed, by YOUR OWN STANDARDS, these bike riders were engaged in a
permissible activity! They were riding on a vehicle route, not on a
hiking trail.

I think the above may be the crux of the matter. I strongly suspect that
bicycles were prohibited on that trail. Mountain bikers are notorious for
being scofflaws and criminals.

According to the report -- a booking report, I might add -- the route was
a vehicle route because a FIRE ROAD is intended for vehicles to carry
firemen and equipment (fire trucks) into the fire area. It is a vehicle
route, and therefore not a hiking trail where you assert that bikes should
never be found.

See the video posted on just RBS I believe. I think I saw a sign post on the
trail saying that bicycles were prohibited. If I am wrong, then of course
Mr. Vandeman was out of bounds. But still, I understand his anger and
frustration.

Whether they are scoflaws and criminals is really not the point here.
Michael J. Vandeman sits in jail for criminally assaulting somebody
engaged in an activity that you heretofore have stated is permissible.

Well, I am not in favor of assaulting anyone ever, no matter what. I just
report criminal behavior to the police, a favorite pastime of mine.
[...]

But I like the way Jeff and others leap to judgment. Guilty until proven
innocent!

Dude, I'm just reading the booking report. They don't normally throw the
victim(s) of a violent assault in jail for assaulting the person with the
weapon. Normally the person with the weapon goes to jail on the assault
charge.

You and others are making statements that you think he is guilty of an
assault. You can't go by what is being charged. It is why we have trials by
jury in this country. There is no doubt in my mind that the mountain bikers
are guilty in some measure of bringing about the situation.

Old June 3rd 10, 09:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
SMS

On 03/06/10 11:41 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

snip

According to the report -- a booking report, I might add -- the route was a
vehicle route because a FIRE ROAD is intended for vehicles to carry firemen
and equipment (fire trucks) into the fire area. It is a vehicle route, and
therefore not a hiking trail where you assert that bikes should never be
found.

Yes, it's a fire road, but UC's rule is that only emergency vehicles are
allowed to use it and bicyclists are prohibited. Of course none of that
will have any bearing on the outcome of this case, since ordinary
citizens can't run around attacking people for not obeying the UC's
rules, they need to call the UC police and report the incident. MV would
have been better off with digital camera or camcorder than a weapon.

Personally I would hope that he _not_ be sent to one of California's
gated communities for a long period of time, since paying to keep him
there would be ridiculously expensive. I would hope he gets a heavy
fine, a stint in the county jail, community service, psychological
evaluation and treatment, plus probation and electronic monitoring with
a prohibition of him being on any hiking or biking trails for the next
25 years. Plus he would have to pay restitution to the injured party.

But that may not even be possible if it goes to trial and he's convicted
since judges have very limited leeway in sentencing for violent
felonies. If it's a plea bargain rather than a trial then he could get
off without real prison time. Regardless of the outcome of the criminal
case there's also a high probability of civil suits, so hopefully he's
got insurance, including an umbrella policy, to settle those suits.
Old June 3rd 10, 10:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

Even so, that puts it in a different perspective. The mountain bikers were
violating the rules. It is what Mr. Vandeman and I hate the most - mountain
bikers acting like mountain bikers.

Personally I would hope that he _not_ be sent to one of California's gated
communities for a long period of time, since paying to keep him there
would be ridiculously expensive. I would hope he gets a heavy fine, a
stint in the county jail, community service, psychological evaluation and
treatment, plus probation and electronic monitoring with a prohibition of
him being on any hiking or biking trails for the next 25 years. Plus he
would have to pay restitution to the injured party.

I doubt that there was any injury inflicted on anyone. It was a tempest in a
tea cup and not much should happen to anyone. But it is interesting as hell
how you want something to happen. I guess that is ever the hallmark of the
weak and the defeated.

But that may not even be possible if it goes to trial and he's convicted
since judges have very limited leeway in sentencing for violent felonies.
If it's a plea bargain rather than a trial then he could get off without
real prison time. Regardless of the outcome of the criminal case there's
also a high probability of civil suits, so hopefully he's got insurance,
including an umbrella policy, to settle those suits.

I suspect it was the mountain bikers that provoked the whole thing. They
should have been charged for being in violation of the rules.

Mr. Vandeman will know how to defend himself since he is not an idiot like
all the rest of you.

Old June 4th 10, 12:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
SMS

On 03/06/10 1:31 PM, SMS wrote:

snip

But that may not even be possible if it goes to trial and he's convicted
since judges have very limited leeway in sentencing for violent
felonies. If it's a plea bargain rather than a trial then he could get
off without real prison time. Regardless of the outcome of the criminal
case there's also a high probability of civil suits, so hopefully he's
got insurance, including an umbrella policy, to settle those suits.

I just read that he was only charged with two misdemeanors, vandalism
and assault. So the chance of prison time is nil. Probably just
probation since it's the first time he's been arrested, plus UC will
likely ban him from their land.
Old June 4th 10, 01:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 6/3/2010 1:33 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
[...]
FOR THE RECORD
My ass is an Exit Only.

@2:14 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOVlHWgbbA.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 4th 10, 04:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"SMS" wrote in message
On 03/06/10 1:31 PM, SMS wrote:

snip

But that may not even be possible if it goes to trial and he's convicted
since judges have very limited leeway in sentencing for violent
felonies. If it's a plea bargain rather than a trial then he could get
off without real prison time. Regardless of the outcome of the criminal
case there's also a high probability of civil suits, so hopefully he's
got insurance, including an umbrella policy, to settle those suits.

I just read that he was only charged with two misdemeanors, vandalism and
assault. So the chance of prison time is nil. Probably just probation
since it's the first time he's been arrested, plus UC will likely ban him
from their land.

UC ought to go after the idiot mountain bikers since they are the ones who
are creating the problem in the first instance.

Old June 4th 10, 07:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Karamba

The above statement is absurd. Mr. Vandeman would not hurt a fly.

He is in Santa Rita jail on $100000 bail for felony assault.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8868/86952637.jpg

Injured danger_uni Unicycling 89 September 11th 07 08:27 PM
Injured gagtape Unicycling 51 August 3rd 07 03:09 PM
injured in war [email protected] General 24 December 12th 06 08:37 PM
BOKEN FEMUR... SOME POSTSURGRY questions ;) PoopInTheButt Racing 3 April 5th 05 06:21 AM
Injured: sympathy, please Ken Cline Unicycling 12 December 9th 04 09:27 PM