Vistalight nightsticks

Old June 28th 04, 09:10 PM
Justin Vincent

Default Vistalight nightsticks

I recently bought a second hand (but not very old) nightstick set. Knowing
that a replacement globe (rated at 6V, 12W will cost me at least A$25 I
headed to my local hardware store & found one (rated at 12V, 20W) that fits
for $4.50.

My knowledge of physics (P = V squared / R) tells me that using it with the
a 6V battery it will run at 5W. (Other higher wattages were also available!)

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a suitable alternative?

(Also, in the process of replacing the globe I discovered that one of the
contacts that the globe sits on is held in place by a weak solder. This
broke off, requiring the switch to be removed & the contact resoldered. Not
an impossible repair, but not something that an average user would want to
do!!)

Justin Vincent

Old June 28th 04, 09:27 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:10:53 +1000, "Justin Vincent"
wrote:

I recently bought a second hand (but not very old) nightstick set. Knowing
that a replacement globe (rated at 6V, 12W will cost me at least A$25 I
headed to my local hardware store & found one (rated at 12V, 20W) that fits
for $4.50.

My knowledge of physics (P = V squared / R) tells me that using it with the
a 6V battery it will run at 5W. (Other higher wattages were also available!)

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a suitable alternative?

A 12V bulb operated at 6V will, in my experience, produce far less
than the light output obtained by using it at its rated voltage,
perhaps as little as one tenth of the expected brilliance. It is not
the case that the light output scales with the power used.

Also, if the housing is designed to dissipate only the heat from a 12W
bulb, the 15W unit might produce enough to damage it, though I think
that's probably not enough of a boost to be a matter for serious
worries.

(Also, in the process of replacing the globe I discovered that one of the
contacts that the globe sits on is held in place by a weak solder. This
broke off, requiring the switch to be removed & the contact resoldered. Not
an impossible repair, but not something that an average user would want to
do!!)

To use the units at 12 volts, build a 12V battery pack. You may find
that it is possible to replace the NiMH cells in the existing pack
with units half the length but of the same per-cell voltage, and keep
the physical form factor of the current setup. You'll need a
different charger in that case, though.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.
Old June 28th 04, 11:28 PM
G. Huang

Justin Vincent wrote:

I recently bought a second hand (but not very old) nightstick set. Knowing
that a replacement globe (rated at 6V, 12W will cost me at least A$25 I
headed to my local hardware store & found one (rated at 12V, 20W) that fits
for $4.50.

My knowledge of physics (P = V squared / R) tells me that using it with the
a 6V battery it will run at 5W. (Other higher wattages were also available!)

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a suitable alternative?

Physics also says that the wavelengths of thermo radiation increase as
the temperature drops. When you run the bulb at below the voltage it is
designed for, the temperature of the filament does not reach the point
where it can produces significant amount of VISIBLE light - efficiency
goes down drastically. Most of the radiation will be in infrared which
will not help you.

Old June 29th 04, 12:40 AM
Sheldon Brown

Justin Vincent wrote:

I recently bought a second hand (but not very old) nightstick set. Knowing
that a replacement globe (rated at 6V, 12W will cost me at least A$25 I
headed to my local hardware store & found one (rated at 12V, 20W) that fits
for $4.50.

My knowledge of physics (P = V squared / R) tells me that using it with the
a 6V battery it will run at 5W. (Other higher wattages were also available!)

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a suitable alternative?

Yes. See the nomograph at http://www.carleylamps.com/tables.htm

With half the voltage, the lamp will draw .68 as much current. P = v X
a, so it should draw 4.08 watts (6v X .68 a)

However the light output will only be a tenth of the designed output,
and will be a very low (yellow/orange) colour temperature.

The good news is that the bulb will last virtually forever under these
conditions.

Sheldon "Electrons" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
I was on vacation, traveling in France and England throughout most of
the month of June.

Due to the SPAM and Virus problem, I typically get about 4,000 emails
daily. Usually my filters are able to deal with the flood, but while I
was overseas, I wasn't able to get Internet access as often as I would
have liked.

As a result, my mailbox got choked up on two occasions, causing the loss
of about 190 mb of mail (tens of thousands of messages) each time.

If you mailed me and didn't get an answer, please re-send your message.

Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old June 29th 04, 10:27 AM
Justin Vincent

"G. Huang" wrote in message
Justin Vincent wrote:

[...]

Well, you can't argue with physics! I guess trying a higher rated 12V 40W

globe still wouldn't be the same either.

Old June 29th 04, 06:50 PM
Frank Krygowski

Justin Vincent wrote:

I recently bought a second hand (but not very old) nightstick set. Knowing
that a replacement globe (rated at 6V, 12W will cost me at least A$25 I
headed to my local hardware store & found one (rated at 12V, 20W) that fits
for $4.50.

My knowledge of physics (P = V squared / R) tells me that using it with the
a 6V battery it will run at 5W. (Other higher wattages were also available!)

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a suitable alternative?

It won't work at all. You need a six volt bulb.

Reflectalite has the six volt MR-11 bulbs for a bit less. I didn't
check shipping costs, though.

I've dealt with them on other items, and the service was good.

http://www.reflectalite.com/halogenpage.html

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

Old June 29th 04, 07:36 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:27:58 +1000, "Justin Vincent"
wrote:

Well, you can't argue with physics! I guess trying a higher rated 12V 40W
globe still wouldn't be the same either.

No. It would probably just generate enough heat to melt the housing
without providing enough illumination to see much. Bulbs are not like
diodes, SCRs, etc, where a higher-rated unit can be pretty freely used
as a replacement for a lower-rated one. With bulbs, the voltage spec
is critical.